Replacing elastic in tent poles

Bushwalking gear and paraphernalia. Electronic gadget topics (inc. GPS, PLB, chargers) belong in the 'Techno Babble' sub-forum.
Forum rules
TIP: The online Bushwalk Inventory System can help bushwalkers with a variety of bushwalk planning tasks, including: Manage which items they take bushwalking so that they do not forget anything they might need, plan meals for their walks, and automatically compile food/fuel shopping lists (lists of consumables) required to make and cook the meals for each walk. It is particularly useful for planning for groups who share food or other items, but is also useful for individual walkers.

Postby gatesy » Sat 17 Dec, 2022 10:10 am

Hi.
The elastic bands in the poles of tents I use for walking have stretched to no resistance and making it more difficult to set up, not the end of the world. I'd like to replace the band in the poles, what material would people use for this? And just how tedious is the job of replacing? :lol:

If this is the more cost effective method I'll give it a go rather than replacing poles which I was quoted at $60 for one of my tents.
Thanks,
gatesy
gatesy
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Australia

Re: Replacing elastic in tent poles

Postby Moondog55 » Sat 17 Dec, 2022 10:19 am

Easy as if you have some stiff thin wire to assist with the pull though.
I bought replacement cord for this from TierGear in Tassie
Ve are too soon old und too late schmart
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Victoria

Postby RonK » Sun 18 Dec, 2022 7:41 am

It’s called shock cord and is widely available. Just do a search you’ll find a retailer near you.
It’s not difficult to replace just don’t cut it until you have fed it right through the pole sections and tensioned.
RonK
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Region: Queensland

Postby ribuck » Sun 18 Dec, 2022 7:58 am

If the end attachment points are not readily accessible (e.g. if they are crimped tight), just tie the new elastic to the old elastic somewhere near one end, cut the old elastic just beyond the knot, pull the old elastic through all the pole segments (from near the other end) and the new elastic will be pulled in by it. Then tie the new elastic to the old one at that end, and cut the old elastic a second time and discard it. It's no problem that two stubs of old elastic remain at the ends, as the new elastic will have plenty enough stretch. Five minutes job, very straightforward.
ribuck
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Other Country

Postby andrewa » Sun 18 Dec, 2022 6:08 pm

Boating shops sell shockcord, as do spotlight etc. Easy to get, easy to replace.

A
andrewa
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: None
Region: Victoria

Return to Equipment