Gas canister leak

Bushwalking gear and paraphernalia. Electronic gadget topics (inc. GPS, PLB, chargers) belong in the 'Techno Babble' sub-forum.
Forum rules
TIP: The online Bushwalk Inventory System can help bushwalkers with a variety of bushwalk planning tasks, including: Manage which items they take bushwalking so that they do not forget anything they might need, plan meals for their walks, and automatically compile food/fuel shopping lists (lists of consumables) required to make and cook the meals for each walk. It is particularly useful for planning for groups who share food or other items, but is also useful for individual walkers.

Gas canister leak

Postby Tortoise » Wed 21 Dec, 2022 7:18 pm

This question has probably been asked before, but I can't find it.

I'm used to a bit of gas leakage when I attach/detach my Pocket Rocket stove from canisters. Sometimes none, sometimes some - which suggests to me a difference in canisters, rather than an o-ring or something gone in my stove. But on my last trip, one time I had a massive leak, including what felt like liquid as well as gas. :shock: The next times I attached/detached it, only a tiny bit of gas leaked.

Should I be considering a new stove for my next epic trip, or was it just a dud canister? Thanks for your thoughts.
Edit: it was a Jetboil canister
Tortoise
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Tasmania

Re: Gas canister leak

Postby bernieq » Wed 21 Dec, 2022 8:53 pm

Just happens sometimes - it's the Lindal valve spring briefly sticking. Roger Caffin's page on stoves will give you more information that anyone reasonably needs (thanks, Roger :)
https://bushwalkingnsw.org.au/clubsites ... .htm#EN417

We are responsible for the health of the planet - not it for ours
bernieq
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Region: Victoria

Postby Lamont » Thu 22 Dec, 2022 5:50 am

I had a can drain, couldn't get the effen thing to close in the same circumstances. Dodgy can valve.
Have been using 2 cans for 4 years since then-refilled many, many times and never happened again.
Just get another can. Should solve the issue.
Lamont
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: https://www.againstmalaria.com/
Region: Other Country

Postby Tortoise » Thu 22 Dec, 2022 6:42 am

Thanks, guys.
Tortoise
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby crollsurf » Thu 22 Dec, 2022 6:15 pm

Probably human error in my case but woke up to an empty cannister once. So now I cook and then remove the stove. I never leave my stove attached to the cannister.

Also same same, there is always a bit of gas/liquid lost when screwing on and off the stove. Soto Amicus

Sent from my SM-G998B using Tapatalk
crollsurf
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: New South Wales

Postby Tortoise » Thu 22 Dec, 2022 7:45 pm

Interesting, Crolly. I usually disconnect the stove overnight, in case of any leak. But sometimes if I'm wanting to make the gas go as far as possible, I take the risk. Mind you, I guess the amount that's usually lost when screwing on and off the stove is pretty insignificant.
Tortoise
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Return to Equipment