Sunnies

Bushwalking gear and paraphernalia. Electronic gadget topics (inc. GPS, PLB, chargers) belong in the 'Techno Babble' sub-forum.
Forum rules
TIP: The online Bushwalk Inventory System can help bushwalkers with a variety of bushwalk planning tasks, including: Manage which items they take bushwalking so that they do not forget anything they might need, plan meals for their walks, and automatically compile food/fuel shopping lists (lists of consumables) required to make and cook the meals for each walk. It is particularly useful for planning for groups who share food or other items, but is also useful for individual walkers.

Sunnies

Postby Dexter » Sun 08 Jan, 2023 7:32 am

Any recommendations on light weight, durable sunnies you can shove in a pack? Does such a thing exist? From my experience anything polycarbonate (which is almost all sunnies) scratch in 8 seconds. I have Persols as my daily's since they are actually glass and decently scratch resistant. But pricey as hell. Especially for my polarised ones.

For bushwalking I've just been using some cheap $20 servo style sunnies. Light weight and cheap enough that I don't care too much about the scratches. The issue is that the polarised layer seems to be peeling off after only a handful of wears. If possible I like to minimise my footprint and use products that last.

Is there anything out there you'd recommend?

Sent from my Pixel 7 Pro using Tapatalk
Dexter
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Victoria

Re: Sunnies

Postby Moondog55 » Sun 08 Jan, 2023 8:48 am

I've got a set of UV rated safety glasses with side shields that I bought at Bunnys [ welders "flash" and another set I found by the side of PV road last winter that nobody claimed from lost property and are now mine branded SafeStyle, the SafeStyle are quite good and reasonably hard wearing
https://safestyle.com.au/
Ve are too soon old und too late schmart
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Dexter » Sun 08 Jan, 2023 8:54 am

Excellent these look decent. I'll have a read of the site. Cheers.

Dexter
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby johnw » Sun 08 Jan, 2023 10:44 am

Good idea to keep any sunnies in a protective case of some description if you can to minimise scratches etc.
I have a few pairs in various types, soft ones, hard ones; all very lightweight. No significant scratching on any of my sunnies.
John W

In Nature's keeping they are safe, but through the agency of man destruction is making rapid progress - John Muir c1912
johnw
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: New South Wales

Postby Dexter » Sun 08 Jan, 2023 11:10 am

Yeah for sure. I'd like to say I'm careful with sunglasses but things happen, hands are full and glasses get dropped or thrown in a pocket. I've had expensive ray bans and Oakleys before and they have surface scratches in a matter of weeks.

I've found my solution for day to day life with Persol. I'd never buy anything else anymore. Their glass polarised lenses are top notch. But glass isn't great for hiking or cycling which is what these will likely get used for. Glass can shatter and that's not something you really want when I inevitably fall off my bike or trip on a rock and faceplant into the ground a days walk from the ED. I guess it's finding the happy medium between a run of the mill polycarbonate lens and glass.

I just found Zeiss make a Nylon lens, and a few companies seem to use either their lenses or the same process. 'SunGod' seems to be a well reviewed and highly regarded brand that uses these lenses. Higher optical quality, lighter, and more environmentally friendly in construction when compared to polycarbonate. Also more flexible and will move back into shape if bent.

They seem to be priced a little higher although nothing obscene. Still, I find myself torn between wanting something cheap that I'm not at all precious about, and wanting glasses that also do a good job. Both polycarbonate and nylon have similar scratch resistant properties and coatings the manufacturers sprook but I'm dubious to believe them. Or at least with the beating they will likely receive from me.

But yes, ideally I'd remember to keep them nice and safe in a pouch or case. Am I overthinking sunnies like I do all equipment? :D

Dexter
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby crollsurf » Sun 08 Jan, 2023 11:39 am

I bought a pair of Gloryfy glasses and yes, they are unbreakable but the optical quality of the glass was poor. So bad in fact, they were dangerous in dappled or strong sunlight. You struggled to see obstacles. So my advice is don't get Gloryfy.

Gloryfy did teach me however that a good optical quality glass makes a big difference. A $20 pair doesn't cut it. Not a fan of polarised lenses either but I always go ~100% UV.

Had a pair of VonZippers that lasted pretty well.
crollsurf
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Biggles » Sun 08 Jan, 2023 1:33 pm

Don't skimp on quality if clarity and durability are key requisites. Low quality sunnies have the visual clariy of looking through the bottom of a vegemite jar.

I have been using Oakley sunnies since the first pair of BLADES came out in 1981! Never went overboard with the most uber-expensive ones (despite the temptation!). Present sunnies are by Oakley, Half Jacket carbon-patterned, with irridium gold lenses which I switch over to iridium red polarised lenses ad hoc. The OP mentioned that his $20 servo sunnies have a peeling off of the polariser film. In better quality sunnies, the polarising film is sandwiched between two pieces of lens and bonded (not with glue), so this is most unlikely to occur with the more well-known brands. As with everything you certainly get what you pay for, but you have to be sure you are not over-pricing something that you don't think will tolerate years of abuse (most pricey sunnies won't, and that includes Oakley, Bollé, RayBan, Fox, BBB...numerous others).

Scratches, breakages and loss all happen; treat sunnies as you would your prescription glasses. My last sunnies came to grief when they 'mysteriously' disappeared while I was loading up the car. Then I got going and reversed and that sickening crrrrruunch from the rear left side wheel...

Heavy sunnies can lead to a sore nose where the bridge-piece is. Cheap ones without a rubberised nose-bridge will constantly slip down. Untreated cheap plastic lenses will fog very easily. If fogging is a problem, BBB makes sunnies for cyclists which have temple and side vents.

Oakley was once manufactured in the USA (almost 30 years ago), and this made them the preserve of a cashed-up few. Everything (including Bollé and BBB, among others) is now made in China, and from experience QC appears to be up to standard. I make a point of ensuring there is a warranty on products so that if something untoward occurs I have some recourse at the shop.
“Is é comhrá faoin aimsir an tearmann deiridh ag an duine gan samhlaíocht.”
—Oscar Wilde, 1890.
Biggles
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Moondog55 » Sun 08 Jan, 2023 2:06 pm

Biggles wrote:\

Scratches, breakages and loss all happen; treat sunnies as you would your prescription glasses. My last sunnies came to grief when they 'mysteriously' disappeared while I was loading up the car. Then I got going and reversed and that sickening crrrrruunch from the rear left side wheel...

You too ?
Only had my new Oakly prescription lenses about 3 months when I did exactly the same thing.
That said I replaced them with exactly the same frame and lens combination despite the expense
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Dexter » Sun 08 Jan, 2023 2:12 pm

Biggles wrote:
Heavy sunnies can lead to a sore nose where the bridge-piece is.

Yep, that's my one and only complaint with the Persols. Glass is heavier and they can get a bit annoying after a few hours. Aside from that they are a country mile in front of any Oakley, Ray Band, or Bollé glasses I've owned.

The Nylon lens tech is really tempting.

Dexter
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby deadwood » Sun 08 Jan, 2023 6:52 pm

Eyes are important and fragile things and the sun is their enemy - show them some respect with some decent quality sunglasses and then take care of the sunglasses. I've got some Julbo photochromatic category 2 to 4 polarised lightweight mountaineering sunglasses. After 10 years, they are still good.
deadwood
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Region: Queensland

Postby Dexter » Mon 09 Jan, 2023 8:15 am

Absolutely. As important as sunscreen and appropriate clothing when out in the sun. In fact the slogan from the cancer council was updated with a 'Seek' and 'Slide'.

In 2007, the slogan was updated to Slip, Slop, Slap, Seek, Slide to reflect the importance of seeking shade and sliding on wraparound sunglasses to prevent sun damage.

In most outdoor stores I have visited, quality sunnies are usually absent from the store with usually only some cheapies there to look at.

I'll check out the Julbo sunglasses. Cheers.

Edit: Well how about that, both Bogong and Paddy Pallin stock Julbo.
From what I have read, seems the Reactiv Photochromic lenses are made using a hybrid of mineral glass and Polycarbonate. These are looking like they might be my answer. Thanks again.
Dexter
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Biggles » Mon 09 Jan, 2023 10:14 am

Moondog55 wrote:
Biggles wrote:\

You too ?
Only had my new Oakly prescription lenses about 3 months when I did exactly the same thing.
That said I replaced them with exactly the same frame and lens combination despite the expense

Yes, me too. They were the Full Metal Jacket Oakleys, not Rx glasses. I was not aware Oakley (among others) provided Rx frames and glasses! There certainly are a few desirable styles there, above and beyond (read: the price!!) what I was fitted by a run-of-the-mill optometrist (something by Wade Morgan — multifocals — which makes me look like Mr Magoo...).
—Oscar Wilde, 1890.
Biggles
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Neo » Mon 09 Jan, 2023 11:15 am

Safety glasses are good all-purpose sunnies, I rarely wear them out and about but they work well riding a bicycle too. Can get clear, black tint, silver and Bolle do a nice brown plastic which are my personal favourite, try Supercheap Auto for those. $20 or so
Neo
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Dexter » Mon 09 Jan, 2023 8:27 pm

I ended up grabbing these today.
https://www.bogong.com.au/julbo-shield- ... *&^%$#@!.html

Photochromatic lenses (category 2-4), Polarised. I liked the idea of the hybrid mineral glass and polycarbonate lens.
Thanks for the tip deadwood. Hopefully they stand the test of time and I don't lose them or run over them with my car :)
Dexter
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby north-north-west » Mon 09 Jan, 2023 9:06 pm

I need something like these https://www.bogong.com.au/julbo-vermont-classic-brass-brown-spectron-3cf-gold.html because I can't wear glasses that grip at the temples - gives me splitting headaches.
But I'm not paying $200+ for something that will invariably be lost in less than year.
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Social Misfits Anonymous
Region: Tasmania

Postby crollsurf » Tue 10 Jan, 2023 7:47 pm

Worth noting that regardless of the glasses you choose, they are protecting your eyes from being impaled on sticks. Broken legs etc. I can cope with. A stick sticking out of an eye is next level.

Sent from my SM-G998B using Tapatalk
crollsurf
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Biggles » Tue 10 Jan, 2023 8:04 pm

Dexter wrote:I ended up grabbing these today.
https://www.bogong.com.au/julbo-shield- ... *&^%$#@!.html

Photochromatic lenses (category 2-4), Polarised. I liked the idea of the hybrid mineral glass and polycarbonate lens.
Thanks for the tip deadwood. Hopefully they stand the test of time and I don't lose them or run over them with my car :)

Uh—what!?
$300 for sunnies!?
Not even my Oakleys (not much in Bendigo by way of choice...) cost that much ($163).
Dios mio. They will be damaged or lost, and that is a very, very, very expensive thing to damage, much worse lose. Something will happen and at that price I would never forgive myself for spending that much on an accessory that I know from brutal (and very long) experience just isn't going to be with me in showroom shape for any long period going forward.

In cycling circles Julbo has been frowned upon for fogging up despite the perceived advent of either/both side or temple vents.
—Oscar Wilde, 1890.
Biggles
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby metastable » Tue 10 Jan, 2023 10:36 pm

I find the Goodr glasses to be decent. https://goodr.com.au/ Cheap, polarised, decent quality and pliable. I usually get the Ginger's Soul https://goodr.com.au/collections/the-og ... ngers-soul
metastable
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby Dexter » Wed 11 Jan, 2023 8:12 am

Biggles wrote:Uh—what!?
$300 for sunnies!?
Not even my Oakleys (not much in Bendigo by way of choice...) cost that much ($163).

I guess it's all a matter of perspective. To me, $300 (I payed $269 on sale) isn't a crazy amount to spend to protect my vision. I payed twice that for my daily sunnies. I have super sensitive eyes, last optometrist visit she remarked upon how light sensitive I must be. Same with my sister so I'm guessing it's genetic and impacted by the level of melanin in the eye. I usually find myself wearing sunglasses on overcast days as I still find it far too glarey. So not only do they protect my eyes from UV radiation, they also significantly improve my comfort being outdoors. People spend money on all sorts of silly things that I don't personally see the value in. But something that contributes to my exercise, enjoyment of the outdoors, and overall health is an expense I'm happy to make. Also my trade is imaging/photography, so my vision is important to me, and I'm also a bit picky when it comes to optical clarity. I could well break them or lose them. That's true for many items we consume like our mobile phones and various electrical devices. All of which are many times more expensive. To me good quality sunglasses are worth it.
Dexter
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Moondog55 » Wed 11 Jan, 2023 9:08 am

My own prescription Oakley cost me $750-
I don't always need the prescription help but when driving and skiing every little bit helps, and I feel that same way about my night driving specs. Just out and about when I don't need 100% UV cut etc then the $30- Cancer Council work well enough to keep a spare set somewhere. I had Lazix 20 years ago and glare is a real problem for some people after that surgery
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby slparker » Wed 11 Jan, 2023 11:29 am

I dislike wearing sunnies when bushwlking but, when I do, I'll wear very light, high quality sunnies with a light tint. My current faves are maui jim and i wear them for most of my outdoors activities.

i don't want to get too philosophical about this, but the sense experience of being in the bush is highly contingent upon visual input. i wish my visual input to be as unadulterated, or as clear, as possible to experience the truest experience of the environment. I feel that dark, dirty or poor quality lenses change the experience too much. Even in the snow I wear a light tint as it is the UV reduction that is the most important protective quality of sunnies. I can't stand the too deep shadow created by dark sunnies.
slparker
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby peregrinator » Wed 11 Jan, 2023 12:05 pm

I agree with you, slparker. There is an additional reason for my dislike of sunglasses when bushwalking. There are often great contrasts in light intensity as one passes through alternating shaded and unshaded patches. Requiring a frequent on/off sunglasses routine at very short intervals.

I have found an unconventional way of attenuating such contrasts, as well as getting a moderate reduction in overall intensity. This is by wearing a hat net, which seems to scatter the sun's rays to a small degree. It just so happens that those beams can sometimes be at their most annoying at exactly the same time that flies are at their most annoying! So one problem is solved, while the other one is at least made less acute.

(Also discovered that a hat net would have been useful when I first walked in tick country, and had one attach itself to my face.)
peregrinator
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby markg » Wed 18 Jan, 2023 4:12 pm

Any of the name brand polarised fishing glasses would suit. Photochromatic lenses, glass that is hard to scratch, eliminate all the bad UVs. Tonic, Maui Jim, Costa, Kaenon. These are all $300 +, but all are quality. You can get a lens colour to suit any environment with any of these.
markg
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby wildwanderer » Thu 19 Jan, 2023 12:22 pm

Anyone used these?

https://www.wileyxaustralia.com.au/wile ... ack-frame/

Anti fog, scratch resistant coating, impact resistant. UV rated etc.

The clear lens looks good for under tree canopy use.

They are used by the army.
wildwanderer
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby fastfreddy » Fri 20 Jan, 2023 4:19 pm

Ugly Fish mid spec shades are as tough as, have decent optical quality and don't cost the earth.
Have been using these since late 2020 and have not as yet been able to kill them (that is a first for me).
FF
fastfreddy
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby EGM » Sat 28 Jan, 2023 8:50 pm

Another vote for the Julbo shield. They are fantastic but I've only had mine for 2 months so can't comment on durability yet.

I'm a fan of ray bans with glass lenses for casual use as they are tough as nails.
And I run mostly in Oakley's which I do love but oh boy they get scratched easily, mine go on my head when I leave for a run and back in the case when I get home and they still get scratches. But I do really like them.
Although I'm going to invest in some Julbo running ones soon, I tried some on in Bogong and they're super comfy and I already know how good the reactiv lenses are from my pair of shields.
EGM
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Biggles » Sun 29 Jan, 2023 8:27 am

Meanwhile in the Deep South...
I am in Geelong for the weekend for the Cadel Evans Great Ocean Race, now at waterfront having brekky — and minus my Oakleys which have come adrift somewhere post-event yesterday when everybody was flaking in the 30-something heat!! Only noticing this when I get up this morning doesn't help. That's how bad things were yesterday. Just hanging around now in case there is a lost-and-found announcement (be it noted people have lost their marbles in the organised chaos...). Otherwise, I'm heading to Torquay (again!!), in the car this time, to get me a replacement pair. :oops: I might just also consider a tether this time, which might be handy for bushwalking, but is a downright nuisance for cycling... :roll:
—Oscar Wilde, 1890.
Biggles
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Lostsoul » Sun 29 Jan, 2023 7:32 pm

Safety sunnies that tradies wear,they have all the right uv and safety ratings,hard to break and only about $5 per pair.Can’t go wrong
Lostsoul
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Tasmania

Postby Gadgetgeek » Sun 29 Jan, 2023 8:18 pm

wildwanderer wrote:Anyone used these?

https://www.wileyxaustralia.com.au/wile ... ack-frame/

Anti fog, scratch resistant coating, impact resistant. UV rated etc.

The clear lens looks good for under tree canopy use.

They are used by the army.

I have used a set of Wiley, the ones I had were pretty tight, so that is a consideration. I have some sort of xenomorph sweat, so coatings and such get the hell beaten out of them, and I ran my pair for about two years. I had a set with the gaskets, though they were a simple pressure adhesive, so in the QLD heat they died pretty fast. their strap system was pretty good though. I would compare them to a similar grade set I bought before moving to AUS, I belive Smith Tacical, but they were not too bad price-wise in Canada, and were insanely priced here, so the wiley were well competitive for a dark, polarized, impact rated glasses. I think it depends a lot on how you sweat, wrap arounds don't like me and the heat.
Gadgetgeek
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Return to Equipment