Tyvek Repairs

Bushwalking gear and paraphernalia. Electronic gadget topics (inc. GPS, PLB, chargers) belong in the 'Techno Babble' sub-forum.
Forum rules
TIP: The online Bushwalk Inventory System can help bushwalkers with a variety of bushwalk planning tasks, including: Manage which items they take bushwalking so that they do not forget anything they might need, plan meals for their walks, and automatically compile food/fuel shopping lists (lists of consumables) required to make and cook the meals for each walk. It is particularly useful for planning for groups who share food or other items, but is also useful for individual walkers.

Tyvek Repairs

Postby wander » Mon 09 Jan, 2023 12:36 pm

Any suggestions as who might carry out repairs to a Zpacks tyvek tent in Australia?
wander
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Region: South Australia

Re: Tyvek Repairs

Postby Warin » Mon 09 Jan, 2023 1:39 pm

wander wrote:Any suggestions as who might carry out repairs to a Zpacks tyvek tent in Australia?

:?: tyvek tent ... umm they do tyvek goundsheets/footprints for their tents ... but a whole tent from tyvek?

Did you mean Dyneema DCF??? Those can the taped.

Tyvek is fairly cheap as a material. For a groundsheet I'd just replace it.
Warin
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: New South Wales

Postby wander » Mon 09 Jan, 2023 2:45 pm

It's the tent.

It might be Dyneema, whatever, the semi clear light green crinkly stuff.

It needs more than tape.
wander

Postby north-north-west » Mon 09 Jan, 2023 4:13 pm

wander wrote:It's the tent.

It might be Dyneema, whatever, the semi clear light green crinkly stuff.
It needs more than tape.

That''s Dyneema and I don't know whether Remote are set up to work with the stuff, but they'd be my first port-of-call.
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Social Misfits Anonymous
Region: Tasmania

Postby Warin » Mon 09 Jan, 2023 5:02 pm

Dyneema.

Zpacks offer patches and tap for repair... if you need something larger contact them .. include a photo and some description of what happened and they may take pity on you.
Warin
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: New South Wales

Postby wander » Tue 10 Jan, 2023 8:13 am

The damage is hand stitched and taped but that is really short term. The area really needs some new material and proper stitching and seam taping.

The damaged part always looked like the weak point to me, the front guy connection area from the top of the pole.

Zpacks did not really want to know about it and suggested replacing the tent which is just daft. 99% of the tent is good and works well. Much better to repair (stronger than original) and reuse.
wander

Postby Nuts » Tue 10 Jan, 2023 8:38 am

I'm no expert on tent building (or anything much really :) ) but have built a few shelters in CF and have some of the green stuff & tape left over.
If you care to post a pic of the area I may be able to help (if you can repair it yourself). It may need stitching as well but CF does hold up fine with the right tape (glue).
Nuts
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Biggles » Tue 10 Jan, 2023 7:15 pm

wander wrote:The damage is hand stitched and taped but that is really short term. The area really needs some new material and proper stitching and seam taping.
The damaged part always looked like the weak point to me, the front guy connection area from the top of the pole.
Zpacks did not really want to know about it and suggested replacing the tent which is just daft. 99% of the tent is good and works well. Much better to repair (stronger than original) and reuse.

Save your time, money and potentially a major upset from getting things wrong and take the tent to Remote Equipment Repairs in Hoppers Crossing. I have yet to learn of them rejecting any material taken in for repair, and they know what they are doing, especially with re-tapesealing.
ZPacks on the other hand sound more like the very people you'd want to avoid when making a large purchase and/or repairs as required.

https://www.remoterepairs.com.au/
“Is é comhrá faoin aimsir an tearmann deiridh ag an duine gan samhlaíocht.”
—Oscar Wilde, 1890.
Biggles
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Victoria

Postby Nuts » Wed 11 Jan, 2023 10:18 am

Sourcing the material will be the difficult part, Z packs had the green stuff at one stage, and part-rolls were available in the early days. I believe Terra Rosa did some gear in DCF? Maybe Tier Gear have some as well? I'd expect these guys could also do a decent repair. Years ago, the times I've needed needle work done would just get a local upholsterer to help out.. taking the materials and later even the threads and needles. Just repairing something (ie.that still shows how it was made) is really not that difficult for anyone who can sew, especially (with DCF) if you can give a few instructions from the forums.
Nuts
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Return to Equipment