Neve Gear Wallaroo Pack

Bushwalking gear and paraphernalia. Electronic gadget topics (inc. GPS, PLB, chargers) belong in the 'Techno Babble' sub-forum.
Forum rules
TIP: The online Bushwalk Inventory System can help bushwalkers with a variety of bushwalk planning tasks, including: Manage which items they take bushwalking so that they do not forget anything they might need, plan meals for their walks, and automatically compile food/fuel shopping lists (lists of consumables) required to make and cook the meals for each walk. It is particularly useful for planning for groups who share food or other items, but is also useful for individual walkers.

Neve Gear Wallaroo Pack

Postby Lindsay » Mon 26 Jun, 2023 2:20 pm

My faithful Gossamer Gear Mariposa has made its last journey. After a suitable mourning period I'm now in the market for a replacement. Came across this: https://nevegear.com.au/products/wallar ... 4577878269 Looks a good bit of kit and from an Australian company so I'm very tempted to give it a go. Anyone had any experience with this pack or any other gear from this company?
Lindsay
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Region: New South Wales

Re: Neve Gear Wallaroo Pack

Postby north-north-west » Mon 26 Jun, 2023 4:33 pm

Their quilts are very good.
The design of that pack is similar to my (now very battered) ULA Catalyst, which is the best and most comfortable pack I've ever had. A bit more basic in some respects, but the only important difference is the lack of S straps. The price makes it very tempting as a replacement, although the strap issue may be a deal breaker. Would be interesting to see how it goes scrub-bashing.
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Social Misfits Anonymous
Region: Tasmania

Postby NeveGear » Wed 28 Jun, 2023 2:31 pm

The shoulder straps are slightly more curved than they look in the pictures, they are kind of in between most J and S straps. It should go pretty good scrub bashing as its made out of 210d Nylon with gridstop UHMWPE (non brand dyneema), which is the same fabric ULA and many other brands in the US use
NeveGear
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Neve Gear

Postby north-north-west » Wed 28 Jun, 2023 5:15 pm

Nice bit of work. Trouble is, I have quite narrow shoulders and need straps that sit in close up top or they're sliding off one side or the other, even with the sternum strap cinched up tight. But I might give it a go anyway.
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby swarf » Fri 30 Jun, 2023 12:33 pm

Hi mate, I've done about 200km so far with this pack and I'm a fan. I came from an Osprey Kestrel and much prefer the Neve bag. Happy to answer any questions you have.
swarf
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Region: South Australia

Postby whynotwalk » Fri 30 Jun, 2023 4:04 pm

I've just ordered one! Looking forward to trying it out - and will report here. I LOVE my old One Planet MacMillan, but my ageing body will be happy to try something that is more than 2kg lighter.

cheers

Peter
Solvitur ambulando (Walking solves it) - attributed to St Augustine, 4th century AD.
whynotwalk
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Lindsay » Sun 02 Jul, 2023 12:09 pm

Thanks for the replies team. I can't find anything negative about this pack anywhere so I reckon I will give it a go.
Lindsay

Postby tgdavies » Sat 08 Jul, 2023 10:47 pm

How do you measure your torso length for a backpack? Not exactly sure where mine starts and ends...
tgdavies
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby north-north-west » Sun 09 Jul, 2023 8:52 am

tgdavies wrote:How do you measure your torso length for a backpack? Not exactly sure where mine starts and ends...

They usually have instructions on the page. Top is C7, the most obvious of your cervical vertebrae - the one that sticks out a bit at the back. Bottom is a line across the back from the tops of your iliac crests - that's the flared out bone at the top of the hips. If there's no-one to measure it for you, just stand against the door frame and mark the points.
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby lachmac » Thu 27 Jul, 2023 5:06 pm

Thanks for letting me know. Mine arrived this arvo and for me is large enough, a fantastic design and excellent quality. Unbeatable value
lachmac
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby Chev » Fri 04 Aug, 2023 10:27 am

I got one of these this week. Seemed like a good value way to try a new breed lightweight alternative to the old, big, heavy canvas packs (Outgear, Wilderness Equipment) I've always used.
Chev
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Region: Australian Capital Territory

Postby whynotwalk » Tue 19 Sep, 2023 4:28 pm

I recently took my Wallaroo out for its first walk: a 3 day jaunt in Tassie's Twilight Tarn/Tarn Shelf area. I was very impressed with the pack. It was comfortable, light, and most things worked very well. It felt a bit of a squeeze to get everything into the 60 litres of total space (45L in main pack, plus 15L in side/rear pockets), but it's something I will get better at with practice. Certainly the roll-top closure and clip system helps you manage tall loads if needed.

I had mixed weather, so the tent was wet for the walk out. I fitted the tent, a 1 person Hilleberg Enan, into the generous mesh pocket. This kept the main compartment dry: thumbs up! As noted in reviews on the Neve Gear website, the clips are not as good as they could be. They are a little awkward to house properly, but with patience they do the job. Hopefully they'll last okay, even if they feel a bit flimsy.

One extra thing to note: I have a Hyperlite Mountain Gear camera pod made of DCF, which clips neatly onto the sternum straps of the Wallaroo. This allows easy access to the camera while walking, and is both comfortable and waterproof. Of course astute gear freaks among you will note that the HMG camera pod costs almost as much as the whole Wallaroo pack itself! (Just put that down to a generous birthday gift voucher.) But the more general point is that, for those needing a little extra space, front pouch pockets (eg Aarn) could probably be attached in the same manner.

Well done to Neve Gear. This is a well thought-out pack, made in Australia, and at a great price. I'm not sure I'll use it on more extended trips, but I'm keen to test its limits.

cheers

Peter
Solvitur ambulando (Walking solves it) - attributed to St Augustine, 4th century AD.
whynotwalk
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby north-north-west » Tue 19 Sep, 2023 5:42 pm

whynotwalk wrote:One extra thing to note: I have a Hyperlite Mountain Gear camera pod made of DCF, which clips neatly onto the sternum straps of the Wallaroo. This allows easy access to the camera while walking, and is both comfortable and waterproof. Of course astute gear freaks among you will note that the HMG camera pod costs almost as much as the whole Wallaroo pack itself!

I've been eyeing those up but the cost is insane :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby whynotwalk » Wed 20 Sep, 2023 4:03 pm

north-north-west wrote:I've been eyeing those up but the cost is insane :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

Yep - stupidly expensive … If it weren’t for a generous birthday gift voucher, I wouldn’t have shelled out for one. But I must say I’m impressed with the build and how well it works in the bush.

cheers

Peter
whynotwalk
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Kott » Thu 23 Nov, 2023 1:36 pm

I'm on the market for a new pack. I'm torn between this Wallaroo, Durston Kakwa 55L and potentially UCA Circuit.

Can anyone with experience on the Durston and Wallaroo have any advice or feedback on this?
Kott
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Region: Victoria

Postby grunter » Thu 23 Nov, 2023 2:03 pm

I've used mine twice (Never Gear pack) in pack training. It handles 13kg well but a squeeze to get everything in for my 5 night trip Tassie trip planned. I have a bulky S2S Mat and Halo puffy that takes a bit of room. My bag had some loose stitching down one side and on the pockets. Ryan was happy to replace. Using some force there was no more give in the side needle work. If it comes apart during my trip, I'll ask for a replacement. The front bottle holder seemed to tear some stitching when first stretched too. I have the Large original bag. 48+15L. Purchased for $225. Price now has jumped to $250 to match a local store that now sells them too. Version 2 is out now for $299. The bag sits a bit low but that happens with all my bags pushing the back of my pants down over time. Shoulder, hip, chest buckles stay in place but the armpit straps come loose. I'll only use the bag a few times a year so not sure on durability compared to some other users. The bag is light and comfortable. Priced well and from a local company. I do have a Neve Gear quilt as well.
grunter
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Queensland

Postby Lindsay » Fri 02 Feb, 2024 12:31 pm

My Neve Gear Wallaroo pack arrived today. Great service - very quick. At 900g it's 100g lighter than my old Mariposa and after loading up and taking a quick walk around the house it looks and feels pretty good. My only minor criticism is the lack of a bladder sleeve but as for the rest it seems to be all I want. I'll take it for a proper walk in the next few weeks. :)
Lindsay

Postby fff » Fri 02 Feb, 2024 2:31 pm

whynotwalk wrote:
Well done to Neve Gear. This is a well thought-out pack, made in Australia, and at a great price. I'm not sure I'll use it on more extended trips, but I'm keen to test its limits.

cheers

Peter

These are not made in Australia I'm pretty sure.
Last edited by fff on Sat 03 Feb, 2024 7:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
fff
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Region: Other Country

Postby Roadtonowhere » Fri 02 Feb, 2024 3:12 pm

You are right. They are not made here. I have a Summit Gear Overland that is made in Katoomba. Considerably dearer but I am happy with it.
Roadtonowhere
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby Ms_Mudd » Fri 02 Feb, 2024 6:50 pm

I have had a Kakawa 55lt in small and have also owned a ULA Circuit and ULA CDT.

The Circuit sadly and first world problemly arrived in different colour way to what I ordered but aside from that, wasn't for me. Just didnt sit right/feel right. The CDT I used a bit and it carried great for a flameless pack, it felt better for me.

The Kakawa 55lt is super and an improvement on the features I really liked about the DD40 in a fit that is an improvement for me over the DD40.

Mine is first lot of Kakawa, pretty sure current batch has bigger front pocket
Ms_Mudd
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Warin » Sat 03 Feb, 2024 10:21 am

Ms_Mudd wrote:I have had a Kakawa 55lt in small and have also owned a ULA Circuit and ULA CDT.

The Circuit sadly and first world problemly arrived in different colour way to what I ordered but aside from that, wasn't for me. Just didnt sit right/feel right. The CDT I used a bit and it carried great for a flameless pack, it felt better for me.

The Kakawa 55lt is super and an improvement on the features I really liked about the DD40 in a fit that is an improvement for me over the DD40.

Mine is first lot of Kakawa, pretty sure current batch has bigger front pocket

How do you rate the Kakawa 55lt compared to the ULA CDT?
Warin
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Ms_Mudd » Sat 03 Feb, 2024 4:52 pm

Good question.
I liked the CDT a whole lot and added on pouches on the shoulder straps. It did barrel out through if really loaded, which the framed Kakawa doesn't. I don't often carry too heavy a load but when I do, the Kakawa handles it better than it has any right to, given how much it weighs. The CDT was kinda heavy for a frameless pack IMHO and although I liked it, that's why I sold it. I had a Zimmerbuilt for awhile, but for now have landed on the Kakawa as a bit of an all-rounder as it cinches down ok.
Ms_Mudd
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Lindsay » Sat 03 Feb, 2024 9:00 pm

Roadtonowhere wrote:You are right. They are not made here. I have a Summit Gear Overland that is made in Katoomba. Considerably dearer but I am happy with it.

Where are they made? I assumed they were Australian made looking at the website.
Lindsay

Postby Roadtonowhere » Sun 04 Feb, 2024 6:46 am

Not sure but Neve Gear posted on Reddit that manufacturing was outsourced overseas.
Roadtonowhere
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Return to Equipment