Are Kathmandu sleeping bags any good?

Bushwalking gear and paraphernalia. Electronic gadget topics (inc. GPS, PLB, chargers) belong in the 'Techno Babble' sub-forum.
Forum rules
TIP: The online Bushwalk Inventory System can help bushwalkers with a variety of bushwalk planning tasks, including: Manage which items they take bushwalking so that they do not forget anything they might need, plan meals for their walks, and automatically compile food/fuel shopping lists (lists of consumables) required to make and cook the meals for each walk. It is particularly useful for planning for groups who share food or other items, but is also useful for individual walkers.

Are Kathmandu sleeping bags any good?

Postby AdventuresTech » Fri 15 Dec, 2023 12:24 pm

Hey all,

I'm looking into getting my first hiking/walking sleeping bag, and as with everything else I'm planning to get, it's been a big hassle to try and find a good one that's cheap but also decent. So I stepped away from looking at lists and I had a look at Kathmandu's website and found one that actually seemed pretty good, but couldn't find any professional reviews on it.
So it brings us here. Are Kathmandu sleeping bags any good?

Cheers,
AdventuresTech.
Gotta have bad times to know when the good times come
AdventuresTech
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Region: New South Wales

Re: Are Kathmandu sleeping bags any good?

Postby Roadtonowhere » Fri 15 Dec, 2023 3:15 pm

Post a link to the bag you are looking at so people can see the price and specs. They will be able to provide more informed advice that way. Also let people know what type of walking you do (overnight or extended), what time of year you walk and where you walk.
Roadtonowhere
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Region: Tasmania

Postby AdventuresTech » Fri 15 Dec, 2023 3:48 pm

Thanks for the reply, here's the bag https://www.kathmandu.com.au/camper-34f ... ll=instant , I'll be doing longer than overnight stuff, I'll be walking most likely year round, and I live on the coast so mainly along there but I do plan on going to the mountains sometime.
Yet again I thank you for the reply.
AdventuresTech
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby Moondog55 » Fri 15 Dec, 2023 3:59 pm

That is a heavy bag for that temperature rating. It's also going to be relatively bulky and take up a lot of room in a pack.
Will you be using clothing to boost the temperature if conditions change and go pear shaped, always in a double walled tent and with a good mattress system?
Are you budget limited to sub-$200-
Katmandu are pretty much entry level gear these days, some is good value on sale tho
Ve are too soon old und too late schmart
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Victoria

Postby Biggles » Fri 15 Dec, 2023 4:37 pm

A rule of economics prohibits you from paying a little and getting a lot — wishing it the other way around is not unfortunately a probability.

Kathmandu is at the cheaper end of outdoor equipment retailing and a OK/decent place to start your look-see, notwithstanding some things I have seen there very recently (this week) which are astronomically priced without justification (sunshirts and surf smocks). The colours, as with many outdoor clothing and accessories, can either turn you on or turn you away — both things happen to me regularly in whatever store I go into. Still using my 2005-vintage SNOWGUM Coloir 500 Eiderdown sleeping bag — no longer available of course, but for coastal areas, something around 500 to 600 loft would be ideal, not knowing however if you are a hot or cold sleeper. The mountains are a different proposition, as is the particular season you intend to head up there. If winter is your ballpark, reconsider cheap sleeping bags in preference for those that offer more warmth/insulation and protection, likely at the expensive of bulk and splitting open your wallet... nothing is particularly cheap at the moment, and sleeping bags — and a lot of other stuff like sunhats, sunglasses and knickers, are something I sometimes look at for a laugh, rather than as a serious proposition to purchase.

Starting out can be a bit fraught, but one rung of the ladder at a time. When I started bicycle touring 43 years ago, my first sleeping bag was a K-Mart cheapie bought for $12; it rolled up the size of a king-sized pillow. It kept me snug in Central Victoria — just cheap polyester fill with rainbow coloured stripes on the outside. In later years it was used as a bunny rug for two dogs and two cats, all gone long ago, along with the tattered sleeping bag!
“Is é comhrá faoin aimsir an tearmann deiridh ag an duine gan samhlaíocht.”
—Oscar Wilde, 1890.
Biggles
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby AdventuresTech » Fri 15 Dec, 2023 5:40 pm

Alright well here are my answers to your questions:
I was hoping that the bag I choose worked for down to 0c but I simply found that one and that's the only reason it is rated -3c.
Ideally I will spend sub $200 yes.

Sorry to be a pain but is there a brand/selection of products I should look up for my criteria? I saw one that's tiny but it's rated for 5c, would that be enough for camping in the mountains in winter or should I go for a 0c? (There also aren't any formal reviews on it either).
AdventuresTech
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby Moondog55 » Fri 15 Dec, 2023 5:53 pm

Camping in the mountains in winter/white season you need a system that is comfortable to -18C.
Too many people think that means a -18 sleeping bag but a down parka worn inside the bag and a bivvy bag or a LW overquilt will get you down to where it's needed. Don't underestimate how cold it can occasionally get in out mountains in winter. White season you also need a mat warmer than the sleeping bag and as stated a double skin tent with a strong poles and plenty of guy points.
Mont. Sea to Summit. One Planet. Macpac Or the Creme D'La Creme of Mountain Equipment or Western Mountaineering
All of which cost a lot more than $200-
You can do it for $200- shopping carefully and buying used tho with a heavy and bulky pack
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby north-north-west » Fri 15 Dec, 2023 6:03 pm

Have a look for secondhand gear. You won't get a genuine winter bag for $200 otherwise.
Rating of bags is not always consistent. You have to check the comfort rating, not the extreme/survival/limit rating, and rating systems frequently differ between manufacturers.

Sleep systems are highly individual. First, do you sleep hot or cold? If you're a warm sleeper you can get away with a lighter bag and boost it during colder seasons with suitable clothing. Second, your mat will also make a big difference in terms of warmth.
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Social Misfits Anonymous

Postby AdventuresTech » Fri 15 Dec, 2023 6:10 pm

I mean it doesn't really snow in the mountains that I go to and it typically only gets down to maybe -6c or -7c at the lowest in the middle of winter. If I were to get a sleeping bag what temp do you recommend? Forgot to mention but I will also be doing a fair bit of warm weather hiking too.

Cheers.
AdventuresTech
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby Baeng72 » Fri 15 Dec, 2023 7:56 pm

I got a down bag off Ali-Express. It's very light, but only comfort rated to 6C.
It's fine for sleeping down low all year and up in the mountains in summer.
For colder, I pair it with a homemade quilt and a MacPac Halo jacket and that has kept me comforatable in snow down below -4 on Mt. Spec. overnight.
You can start with a bag suitable for lowland/coastal needs, and pair it with another bag or quilt, as well as puffy jacket to go lower.
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/3296130 ... 3606317%21
Baeng72
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Moondog55 » Fri 15 Dec, 2023 9:27 pm

ten degrees lower than the lowest temp ever recorded for that area
Safety margin
Above is how I also build my systems
If you can sew a DIY quilt might be a good way to get started
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby AdventuresTech » Sat 16 Dec, 2023 7:24 am

Thanks for the advice everyone, I think I will go with this one since it's super lightweight and I've figured I won't really need any extra warm for the most part https://www.outbackequipment.com.au/rom ... 0910ce8818 .
AdventuresTech
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby Moondog55 » Sat 16 Dec, 2023 7:59 am

I think that the 5C rating is the Limit temperature and the comfort rating will be around 14/17C.
All you can do is give it a try
It would probably work as an overquilt for adding ten degrees to the warmth rating of a light down bag when you can save up enough money for a LW down bag or quilt.
Just remember that EN rated bags are measured with the mannequin wearing winter weight base layers, warm sox. warm gloves and a beanie so make sure you the equivalent layers plus an extra torso layer with you in case the temperature drops
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby JohnnoMcJohnno » Sat 16 Dec, 2023 9:13 pm

I have a Roman 5 degree bag which looks very similar to the one in your link, probably an early version of it. I used it for a couple of years until I could afford something better. That 5C rating though, it's optimistic. I reckon about 10C would be its limit. It will be fine if you pick your walks accordingly, but personally I wouldn't use it in winter.
JohnnoMcJohnno
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby johnrs » Sun 17 Dec, 2023 11:02 pm

johnrs
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Postby Son of a Beach » Mon 18 Dec, 2023 6:55 am

Are you avoiding down (and going for synthetic fill) for any reason apart from cost? Down is better in multiple ways: Packs down a LOT smaller, weighs a LOT less, is a LOT warmer. Of course, it is also more expensive. You do get what you pay for. But I reckon that avoiding down and paying less is a false economy in the end. You'll have less room in your pack for other gear, you'll have a heavier pack, and you will not be as warm at night.

Of course, there are some legitimate reasons that some people might avoid down (allergies, ethics).
Son of a Beach
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Bit Map (NIXANZ)

Postby bauplenut » Mon 18 Dec, 2023 7:22 am

You need to look at sleeping system as a combined whole especially for colder climes. Sleep pad / mattress thermal rating is also important and can be a big difference. No good having a decent sleeping bag / quilt if the mattress allows coldness to come up from ground as some can - get a decent thermal rated pad / mattress as well.
bauplenut
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Region: Queensland

Postby Moondog55 » Mon 18 Dec, 2023 7:55 am

There is no quality problem with most of the LW sleeping bags sold via AliExpress but just be aware that even those sold as Large and Extra Large are Asian sizes and a very small for some people.
If money is tight just keep an eye open at Op-Shops, I've got new CCF pads and older ThermaRests locally for $5- each.
The combination of a CCF pad and a small T'Rest was what I used on snow for a decade or more and still works well enough
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby AdventuresTech » Mon 18 Dec, 2023 8:26 pm

Would this be a good option? https://www.wildearth.com.au/buy/marmot ... GMQAvD_BwE
I like to avoid down due to ethics and things like that but I mean if it's the best option I guess I'll have to go with it then.

Cheers.
AdventuresTech
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby johnrs » Mon 18 Dec, 2023 8:53 pm

Hi AT
Nothing comes close to down in terms of performance. Lok at the loft number, somewhere between 600 and 800.
The Aussie brands Mont, Sea to Summit, One Planet and Snow Gum all use certified down but are expensive.
Here is an inexpensive summerweight bag from Snowgum
https://scoutshop.com.au/products/snowg ... xon_id=183
Roman has been around for ever and will have a good offering at their price point.
Aegis Max also certifies its down,
And you could also look at mid priced Polish suppliers, Cumulus and Malachowski.
Best wishes
John
johnrs

Postby Moondog55 » Mon 18 Dec, 2023 9:03 pm

EN rated to 4C comfort
There is a cheap Caribee bag marketed at Army Cadets the same weight and same rating for less money. It is however camouflage but not a current pattern, it's the obsolete dark OzCam
Snowys price $98- and usually available at BCF stores for the same cost because they offer price matching.
Either would be OK as a first semi serious bag for warm weather if ethics mean down isn't your preferred option.
There are seriously good synthetic insulations like APEX but those quilts and bags are at the top end of the market.
TerraRosa make such quilts in Melbourne

https://www.snowys.com.au/deploy-1300-sleeping-bag

https://terrarosagear.com/collections/q ... t-2-season
Note that quilts need extra attention to mattress systems and the use of a warm head cover like a jacket hood or balaclava
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby AdventuresTech » Tue 19 Dec, 2023 9:15 am

Thanks, I found it at Anaconda but just want to check this is the right one. I really appreciate your help and I wouldn't have gotten here without it. https://www.anacondastores.com/camping- ... aMQAvD_BwE
AdventuresTech
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby Moondog55 » Tue 19 Dec, 2023 9:41 am

Even cheaper than BCF at club price and while not a great bag it is OK as a starting point. It isn't as generously cut as some and too small for me but I am a bit larger than average.
If you find it reasonable and you do want to use it in winter you will need an extra layer.
You could use a poncho liner over the top, modified to suit and there is one on eBay at the moment cheap that would do the job, again not light and bulky compared to APEX but OK for the money
https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/266334270292
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Moondog55 » Tue 19 Dec, 2023 1:28 pm

PM sent
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Moondog55 » Mon 01 Jan, 2024 4:25 am

We'd all like to know what you finally bought and how it went when you used it. Also naturally what mat you got and all associated gear
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby freehorizon » Thu 01 Feb, 2024 12:31 am

AdventuresTech wrote:Thanks for the reply, here's the bag https://www.kathmandu.com.au/camper-34f ... ll=instant , I'll be doing longer than overnight stuff, I'll be walking most likely year round, and I live on the coast so mainly along there but I do plan on going to the mountains sometime.
Yet again I thank you for the reply.

Sorry for the late/irrelevant reply, just putting my experience of the bag out their.
I own the Camper -3, purchased it kinda as a stopgap semi permanent solution to go on camps with scouts where it got a little bit colder. which it worked incredibly well for. my issues began when i began trying to hike with it. the bag is not compact at all. at it's current sizing as i have measured it is 23x38 cm. which in my hiking bag took over half of the possible available space (65l bag). apart from that it aint that bad for a sleeping bag. it is pretty true to it's temperature rating as even when approaching that limit i never felt cold. if you are looking for a cheap relatively warm sleeping bag that you aren't going to really try to go hiking with it is pretty good.
freehorizon
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: Queensland

Return to Equipment