Buy Gas Canister

Bushwalking gear and paraphernalia. Electronic gadget topics (inc. GPS, PLB, chargers) belong in the 'Techno Babble' sub-forum.
Forum rules
TIP: The online Bushwalk Inventory System can help bushwalkers with a variety of bushwalk planning tasks, including: Manage which items they take bushwalking so that they do not forget anything they might need, plan meals for their walks, and automatically compile food/fuel shopping lists (lists of consumables) required to make and cook the meals for each walk. It is particularly useful for planning for groups who share food or other items, but is also useful for individual walkers.

Buy Gas Canister

Postby Mariken » Wed 17 Jan, 2024 1:47 am

Hi all, I'm a dutch woman planning to do the great ocean walk in australia and a bike tour in tasmania. As I cannot bring gas canisters with me on the airplane, where can I buy them? (For Austraulia in Melbourne, Geelong or Apollo Bay and for Tasmania in Hobart or Richmond). Preferably canisters that match with my msr pocket rocket burner (screw fitting) but if that's not possible I will alos need to buy another burner :). Thanks!
Mariken
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Region: Other Country

Re: Buy Gas Canister

Postby Dexter » Wed 17 Jan, 2024 1:38 pm

Hi Mariken,

For Melbourne CBD, you can head to Little Bourke Street, about a block west from Elizabeth St you will find about 4 outdoor stores. Bongong Outdoors, Macpac, Backpacking Light, and One Planet. I would think all of these will have the screw top gas canisters.
Geelong has a Macpac, Patagonia, and Kathmandu. Not sure if Apollo bay would have them or not, but it wouldn't surprise me given the number of people who hike around that area.

Someone will need to advise on Tasmania, but Macpac and Kathmandu are Australia wide and should all have them. There will be a load of independent outdoor stores in Hobart I'm sure.
Dexter
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Victoria

Postby Moondog55 » Wed 17 Jan, 2024 2:14 pm

If you are taking the ferry to Tasmania you can take small canisters in your bag, or at least you could the last time I went by sea. But canisters are freely available; even Bunnings has them now. They are much cheaper at Bunnings and K-Mart when in stock
Ve are too soon old und too late schmart
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby tassietramper » Wed 17 Jan, 2024 2:16 pm

Hi Mariken

In Hobart head into Elizabeth St in the city. Within a couple of blocks you will find a number of outdoor places including: Find Your Feet, Kathmandu, Paddy Palin & Recycled Recreation (worth trying as they often have cheap 'almost full' bottles).

Cheers
tassietramper
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: Tasmania

Postby benoloughlin » Thu 18 Jan, 2024 3:47 pm

Dear Mariken,

HOBART:

- Mountain Creek Outdoors: 75 Bathurst St.
- Paddy Pallin: 111 Elizabeth St.
- Kathmandu: 119 Elizabeth St.
- Macpac: 99 Elizabeth St.

If you are intending on backpacking in subalpine regions I would recommend sticking with MSR or Jetboil branded iso-butane canisters as they tend to perform better in colder temperatures.

Wishing you all the best with your Australian adventures!
Ben
benoloughlin
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby openspace » Thu 18 Jan, 2024 6:55 pm

I recently took my car on the Spirit of Tasmania (Sep 23).

The rules regarding gas canisters, shellite, metho etc. are contained in the following:
https://www.spiritoftasmania.com.au/ter ... rous-goods

Like many have stated, there are plenty of stores available to buy fuel on arrival but there is the option of taking your own.
openspace
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Region: New South Wales

Postby Warin » Thu 18 Jan, 2024 7:06 pm

openspace wrote:I recently took my car on the Spirit of Tasmania (Sep 23).

The rules regarding gas canisters, shellite, metho etc. are contained in the following:
https://www.spiritoftasmania.com.au/ter ... rous-goods

They ( the ferry) simply collect the loose cylinder/s and put them on an outside deck. A plastic bag with your name on it is very helpful. They can come back wet.
A plane flight will be the same as your plane flight here - no gas cannisters allowed.

PS.. the other thing you'd be after is a local SIM card .. You want a 'Boost' kit as that has 1) the best coverage and 2) lowest price. Easiest bought from a store -

https://www.thegoodguys.com.au/boost/ph ... -sim-cards
https://www.officeworks.com.au/shop/off ... =bestmatch
Warin
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: New South Wales

Postby Moondog55 » Thu 18 Jan, 2024 9:08 pm

A change of rules and regs with the change t the new port, previously these were allowed in rucksacks. Easy enough to buy in Tassie if you don't want to trust the crew with the tins.
Do any Lindal valve canisters come sold in a paper or card box?
And
They don't know how to spell Shellite
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby tastrax » Fri 19 Jan, 2024 8:06 am

If flying into Hobart then I live not far from the airport(Seven Mile Beach) and have cannisters that folks have dropped off before flying out. A few to choose from. There is also an Anaconda and BCF store in Cambridge Park about a ten minute ride from the airport on the way to Richmond.
Cheers - Phil

OSM Mapper
tastrax
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: RETIRED! - Parks and Wildlife Service

Postby Biggles » Fri 19 Jan, 2024 12:17 pm

There is a grocer in Apollo Bay (also Lorne) that sells canisters. A/Bay retailers are well aware of the passing/stopping traffic that is heading for the Great Ocean Walk, so many things can be picked up there. The servo in A/Bay also has many bits and pieces, albeit at inflated prices.

Port regulations for the Spirit of Tasmania are much the same as they were for Port Melbourne; canisters are declared and removed if unsealed (they have to be capped) from cars/trailers/backpacks and stored separately in a "clear air" environment (outside or sheltered deck). In my case, with labels identifying the owner's name and contact phone on it; my LPG cylinder was removed and stored separately, so too were hiking stove propane/butane cylinders (for FURNO stove) (because they were in-use, not new).

Boots, trekking poles etc., should be disinfected before going on the Spirit of Tasmania at G-Town, and again coming back (at Devonport). A car was prevented from travelling on 28th December (a 4WD, the stop order generating a lot of friction with an remonstrative driver vs the firm and final port staff!) because it was filthy and caked in mud! Some people just don't get the threat this poses to the environment in both States.
“Is é comhrá faoin aimsir an tearmann deiridh ag an duine gan samhlaíocht.”
—Oscar Wilde, 1890.
Biggles
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Moondog55 » Fri 19 Jan, 2024 1:59 pm

It's been a few years but our last trip they tagged them and left them in the car.
I find it interesting that they allow Shellite/kero and Meths in the store containers when the high pressure MSR bottles are so much stronger
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Return to Equipment