What thing do almost all makers get wrong?

Bushwalking gear and paraphernalia. Electronic gadget topics (inc. GPS, PLB, chargers) belong in the 'Techno Babble' sub-forum.
Forum rules
TIP: The online Bushwalk Inventory System can help bushwalkers with a variety of bushwalk planning tasks, including: Manage which items they take bushwalking so that they do not forget anything they might need, plan meals for their walks, and automatically compile food/fuel shopping lists (lists of consumables) required to make and cook the meals for each walk. It is particularly useful for planning for groups who share food or other items, but is also useful for individual walkers.

What thing do almost all makers get wrong?

Postby Moondog55 » Wed 17 Jan, 2024 6:19 am

Nothing is perfect but one thing that has always annoyed me is how small the footbox on sleeping bags seem to be.
They make an large or extra large bag for tall people but ignore the fact that taller people usually have bigger feet.
In my case my feet aren't all that big, I'm a Mondo 30
So in every sleeping bag I've ever bought my feet touch the ends and compress the insulation somewhat, put sleeping socks on and bivvy boots and the problem becomes worse.
What other niggles do people have with otherwise good to excellent gear?
Ve are too soon old und too late schmart
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Victoria

Re: What thing do almost all makers get wrong?

Postby north-north-west » Wed 17 Jan, 2024 6:12 pm

Gaiters: a number of things but most of all they never go long enough at the bottom end. Manufacturers save on fabric by keeping the base almost straight rather than extending the front of it to cover the entire lace area. Plus the hooks should be under the fabric, not sticking out the front of it. And closures - velcro or zip - should be at the back not the front (this makes them last longer, amongst other things, because with front velcro closures the seams and seam edges get frayed by vegetation and degrade far too quickly).

Packs: even the best packs supposedly designed for smaller people have too wide a gap between the shoulder straps. Yes, even when they have S straps. Narrow shoulders mean you need a small gap so the straps stay on the shoulder rather than slipping off to one side or the other. Sternum straps help a bit but aren't a complete remedy and, in most cases, sit so high on a short person that you feel like you're being choked, or they're so low they don't make any difference.

Boots: no-one makes footwear that fits my feet. No-one has, ever, in the entire history of boot- and shoe-construction. A wide forefoot does not automatically mean a wide heel. Give me room for the toes, lots and lots of arch support, high over the instep, closer fit for the heel ...

Sleeping mats: I know there has to be a limit in variations of length, but surely it should be possible to produce something in between 60 inches (five foot) and 72 inches (six foot). It's not about the weight, I'd be rapt with a pad that was six inches shorter and an inch wider and probably still the same weight.

Trekking poles: I may, in the past, have commented elsewhere about the orientation of flick-lock levers. That still stands.

Trousers: with one exception (Mont Lifestyle zip-offs), walking trousers for non-blokes do not provide enough room in the seat and thigh unless you're prepared to have the better part of ten inches extra fabric around the waist and a good bit extra at the bottom end as well. Note that I say "around the waist"; Waists are where the trouser top should be, not down on the hips somewhere. Clothing needs to be designed to minimise the potential for seams under hipbelts.

Walkers: we get old. It's not fair.
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Social Misfits Anonymous
Region: Tasmania

Postby headwerkn » Wed 17 Jan, 2024 9:12 pm

The zips on pack hip belt pockets should close to THE BACK, not the front. Otherwise scrub can (and often does) grab the zip and open said pocket, secretly distributing its contents. Why pack manufacturers haven't figured this out yet, I have no idea. HMG at least have the zip go forwards then down, which (mostly) negates the issue.

I also would like to be able to buy regular walking boots that have some flex in the sole but also won't disintegrate their uppers within a year. Apparently you have to choose one or the other ;-)

Hooks for gaiters should hook from underneath your laces, not above. Rab actually do this, and its great - they never shift or come unhooked. Alas their gaiters are lightweight and have a lifespan measured in months.
headwerkn
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Postby Dalmeny Mark » Wed 17 Jan, 2024 10:45 pm

Entry into tents, and internal heights. Apart from mids, the need to crawl into modern tents just gets harder for we boomers. And now most of us have finally got sleeping mats of relative comfort it means when sitting up in a tent your head + beanie means you are normally touching the inner roof.
Dalmeny Mark
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: New South Wales

Postby north-north-west » Thu 18 Jan, 2024 6:24 am

headwerkn wrote:The zips on pack hip belt pockets should close to THE BACK, not the front. Otherwise scrub can (and often does) grab the zip and open said pocket, secretly distributing its contents.

ULA get it right.
Aarn, on the other hand, have the zip for lower section of their photo balance pockets opening backwards and the fact that the pocket is upright and the zip on the outside with a nice, convenient loop attached, means that the stupid things catch on any and almost every bit of vegetation of an appropriate height. It drives me bonkers. OK, I have so much stuff crammed in there that it won't just fall out, but that's just me and the pocket still collects gunge.
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Social Misfits Anonymous

Postby crollsurf » Thu 18 Jan, 2024 5:00 pm

Inflatable Pillows. They are never thick enough for side sleepers. I have to carry 2 and wrap them in my buff.
crollsurf
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby headwerkn » Fri 19 Jan, 2024 6:09 pm

crollsurf wrote:Inflatable Pillows. They are never thick enough for side sleepers. I have to carry 2 and wrap them in my buff.

Wholeheartedly agreed! I put an inflatable pillow inside a custom pillow stuff sack - made 30% larger than the standard HMG fare - along with puffy and whatever clothes I have available to fill it out. Such a faff but if you're a side sleeper with broadish shoulders, everything else is pathetic.
headwerkn

Postby crollsurf » Sun 21 Jan, 2024 10:04 pm

The problem with stuffing clothes to make a pillow is that you're carrying more weight than you need. That clothing should be used for sleeping to avoid carrying a heavier bag/quilt than is required for said adventure.

But carrying 2x pillows is also extra weight.

It's a weight balancing act, but having those extra clothes to ensure waking up nice and warm probably outweighs the benefit of a good pillow. You can sleep on your back if you have to.

Sent from my SM-G998B using Tapatalk
crollsurf
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Dexter » Mon 22 Jan, 2024 8:35 am

I have found of late I've moved a bit more towards a heavier load. I went lighter and lighter to the point that I just found it starting to impact overall enjoyment. I've moved to a longer and wider mat despite the weight penalty. A heavier cooking stove that is more stable than those feather weight titanium tiny stoves. A bunch of other things. I was looking at a DCF pack and I think I'd have ended up using my Osprey again anyway.

I feel at this point I've gone from ultra light to comfort light. A substantial pillow is something I'm considering taking a bit of a weight penalty on.

Sent from my Pixel 7 Pro using Tapatalk
Dexter
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Biggles » Mon 22 Jan, 2024 1:30 pm

The question seems to ignore the simple fact that manufacturers are catering for the entire diversity of the population, not particularly on section with a very different build; that is to say equipment that will be a treat for some people will be a pain for others. It is impossible for manufacturers to make everything suitable for every person, anywhere and all the time! That said, MONT and One Plant offer options for extra long sleeping bags; I think Sea to Summit does too; otherwise, a bag that is just right in so many other areas can be professionally modified.

I have more trouble with simple things like gaiters that are made difficult from the style of material and closures. Sea to Summit QUAGMIRE gaiters are a case in point. They are enormously stiff and unyielding to put on, and the uber-tacky velcro closure can get itself stuck on other clothing, particularly gloves and mitts (I wear cyclist mitts to protect the palms of hands from abrasion and the backs of hands from stinging nettles). These gaiters are otherwise very good in every other respect, including importanly, durability. I've owned them for 6 years and they are yet to show their age, just their propensity to be damned difficult to get on and catchy with anything they come into contact with.

Never had a problem with my Sea to Summit down pillow. Scrunches up to next to nothing and if per chance it is a bit low for the purpose, I roll up a jumper to place under it.

In its prototyping of shellwear in the 1980s and 1990s, Paddy Pallin (to use just one early example) was given feedback from technical, alpine and rock climbers about the placement and orientation of zips on shellwear and jumpers/technical shirts. The point that @headwerkin makes was founded in those distant years and we tend to take it for granted when so many products do feature it as a learned norm — but not it's not universal! Zips closing to the back were also integrated by MacPac and ArcTeryx; of course placing them at the front may expose them to ensnaring/snagging and opening, potentially spilling gout small pieces of equipment, food or something else that is critical.

One other gripe: piezo stove lighters :evil:
Absolute garbage and nowhere near the worth being asked for in shops. I carry water- and windproof matches with me.

Overall, I don't quibble with equipment; I choose carefully what is fit for my needs and sizing and look after it; weaknesses or something, somewhere that niggleme may take years to actually spur me into doing something, or I'm more likely, as I am at this age to just "let it go and forget about it" andn get on with what needs to be done. Walking and exploring. :lol:
Last edited by Biggles on Mon 22 Jan, 2024 2:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“Is é comhrá faoin aimsir an tearmann deiridh ag an duine gan samhlaíocht.”
—Oscar Wilde, 1890.
Biggles
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Moondog55 » Mon 22 Jan, 2024 1:52 pm

Yes and NO
I did get my OP sleeping bag in the largest size, both wide and extra long but, and it is a big 'BUT", the footbox on their biggest sized bag is the same size as their smallest bag and that is far too small for somebody with large feet.
I did email and critique the bag with One Planet and they acknowledge the issue but they have no plans to address the problem. Neither do Western Mountaineering whom I also contacted about the size of their footbox. If the standard fits 80 to 90 percent of the population then little effort seems to be made to cater for the outliers.
Nunatak do offer a larger than standard footbox and I plan to order their cold weather bag if I win the lottery
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Dalmeny Mark » Tue 23 Jan, 2024 9:32 pm

I concede your point Biggles, yes a lot of us are outliers to the norm. BUT, it does get extremely frustrating in these connected times to know that larger sizes exist overseas and seem not to be available in Oz. Or , even more annoying is to be told in outlets that these larger sizes when they do arrive, sell out almost immediately. Which leads to a Dead Parrot type conversation: " There is no demand for these sizes in Australia", "But they sell out immediately, so there must be a unmet demand" " I tell that to the buyer next time they order" Having said that cheers to our cottage suppliers by trying to meet our needs. Summit Gear in Katoomba lengthened a bag by 10 cm's, including custom fitting attachment points and length of harness, and then sold it to me at less than the cost of a normal bag! When asked why, they just said they like dealing with someone who knew what they wanted, and was willing to ask if it can be done.
Dalmeny Mark
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby Baeng72 » Wed 24 Jan, 2024 10:03 am

I don't know if the makers get it wrong, or I'm just not standard size.
OK, it's the latter.
I'm a side sleeper and I have to use a foam pad under an inflatable mattress to not feel like I'm getting a hip-pointer after an hour or so of trying to sleep.
2 Inflatable pillows required to position head usually.
Off the shelf clothes in shops like Anaconda or Decathlon are too small. Makers only go to 2 or 3XL sizes. Where's the 4 or 5XL clothes you *&%$#!!?!
I don't have problem with shoes, trail runners from ASICS are fine, they wear out the top after a year or two, but comfortable.
Gaiters, I use a pair from Decathlon. Work fine, zip up on side. Don't stop leeches however...
Baeng72
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby headwerkn » Wed 24 Jan, 2024 1:46 pm

crollsurf wrote:The problem with stuffing clothes to make a pillow is that you're carrying more weight than you need. That clothing should be used for sleeping to avoid carrying a heavier bag/quilt than is required for said adventure.

Not really, if you're carrying a sensibly safe provision of clothing and taking into account weather variances, especially when you're alternating elevations between camps... 300m in the Arthur Plains is a lot warmer overnight than at 950m at High Moor, all things being the same. When it's warm the puffy jacket goes in the pillow, when it's cold (I use a 5C quilt for 9 months of the year) I wear the puffy and the 60g inflatable pillow takes up the space in the pillow bag. Depending on how wet/dank my walking clothes are, some or all go into the pillow bag too. Even when fastpacking with minimal clothing, 'filling up the bag' has never been an issue.
headwerkn

Postby Moondog55 » Wed 24 Jan, 2024 2:18 pm

Anything beats using your boots as a pillow tho.
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby stevage » Wed 24 Jan, 2024 4:14 pm

I'm a very critical person with a lot of strong opinions about things, I've done a fair bit of hiking, and I've bought a lot of outdoor gear over the years...

...but honestly, I'm coming up blank. I don't seem to have any of the issues everyone else does here. My boots fit well. I like my Aarn packs. I love my Mont Moondance tent. My Zpacks sleeping bag is pretty great. I sleep ok without a pillow.

Now, if I could just find a poncho I really loved, then life would be perfect.
stevage
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby Lostsoul » Sun 28 Jan, 2024 12:51 pm

headwerkn wrote:The zips on pack hip belt pockets should close to THE BACK, not the front. Otherwise scrub can (and often does) grab the zip and open said pocket, secretly distributing its contents. Why pack manufacturers haven't figured this out yet, I have no idea. HMG at least have the zip go forwards then down, which (mostly) negates the issue.

I also would like to be able to buy regular walking boots that have some flex in the sole but also won't disintegrate their uppers within a year. Apparently you have to choose one or the other ;-)

Hooks for gaiters should hook from underneath your laces, not above. Rab actually do this, and its great - they never shift or come unhooked. Alas their gaiters are lightweight and have a lifespan measured in months.

One Planet hip pockets close from either end so you can zip them closed towards the back.
Lostsoul
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Return to Equipment