Is the Cumulus light line 400 any good?

Bushwalking gear and paraphernalia. Electronic gadget topics (inc. GPS, PLB, chargers) belong in the 'Techno Babble' sub-forum.
Forum rules
TIP: The online Bushwalk Inventory System can help bushwalkers with a variety of bushwalk planning tasks, including: Manage which items they take bushwalking so that they do not forget anything they might need, plan meals for their walks, and automatically compile food/fuel shopping lists (lists of consumables) required to make and cook the meals for each walk. It is particularly useful for planning for groups who share food or other items, but is also useful for individual walkers.

Is the Cumulus light line 400 any good?

Postby freehorizon » Sat 27 Jan, 2024 11:26 pm

Has anyone used the Cumulus light line 400 or has an opinion on it?
Else does anyone have any other recommendations for other sleeping bags?
freehorizon
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: Queensland

Re: Is the Cumulus light line 400 any good?

Postby JohnnoMcJohnno » Sun 28 Jan, 2024 7:44 am

I don't own that particular bag but I do own a couple of Cumulus bags, a Liteline 300 and a Panyam 450. They're both very good quality, lightweight bags, for a reasonable price. Based on what I've seen around the internet, Cumulus bags are as good as anything else out there.

I've had the Panyam for 6 years and the Liteline for 4 with no issues. The lowest temps I've used the Liteline 300 in was only about 10 deg C, it was fine. I've had the Panyam down to zero (its comfort rating) and it was only just warm enough. I'd say Cumulus temperature ratings are fine if you're a younger person, but I'm on the wrong side of 60 and feel the cold a lot more than I used to. Both of them use a 15D nylon material for the shell. It feels slippery to the skin but in all my years of ownership I think I've only ever seen one bit of down come out. I've never snagged the zipper on either bag. Both bags compress extremely well down to a very small size, and loft up impressively. The footbox feels a bit on the small side - there's some wiggle room but it's not that much. Both bags (and I assume the Liteline 400 is the same) have a 55/45 split top/bottom down which I've never been entirely happy with - it's probably great if you're a back sleeper but if you roll around a lot like me sooner or later you're going to be covered by the lesser down part.

Hope this helps.
JohnnoMcJohnno
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: New South Wales

Postby freehorizon » Sun 28 Jan, 2024 4:01 pm

JohnnoMcJohnno wrote:I don't own that particular bag but I do own a couple of Cumulus bags, a Liteline 300 and a Panyam 450. They're both very good quality, lightweight bags, for a reasonable price. Based on what I've seen around the internet, Cumulus bags are as good as anything else out there.

I've had the Panyam for 6 years and the Liteline for 4 with no issues. The lowest temps I've used the Liteline 300 in was only about 10 deg C, it was fine. I've had the Panyam down to zero (its comfort rating) and it was only just warm enough. I'd say Cumulus temperature ratings are fine if you're a younger person, but I'm on the wrong side of 60 and feel the cold a lot more than I used to. Both of them use a 15D nylon material for the shell. It feels slippery to the skin but in all my years of ownership I think I've only ever seen one bit of down come out. I've never snagged the zipper on either bag. Both bags compress extremely well down to a very small size, and loft up impressively. The footbox feels a bit on the small side - there's some wiggle room but it's not that much. Both bags (and I assume the Liteline 400 is the same) have a 55/45 split top/bottom down which I've never been entirely happy with - it's probably great if you're a back sleeper but if you roll around a lot like me sooner or later you're going to be covered by the lesser down part.

Hope this helps.

Thanks, I was more concerned about the size than really the temperature rating, as i don't get really cold even when i roll over (i am also one of those sleep rollers). As i am tall (181cm) and broad i was more concerned about how much room would the bag give and if it would constrict me.
freehorizon
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby Moondog55 » Sun 28 Jan, 2024 4:32 pm

https://www.gearexposure.com/gear-revie ... eping-bag/

https://trailstalk.com/honest-review-of ... eping-bag/
https://ultralightandcomfortable.com/20 ... eo-review/

I think I looked at them a few years ago and as most reviews said they were on the slim side I decided not to take the chance, but I'm an XXL tall so a bit bigger than average even if only 184 tall [ I'm shrinking ads I age
Ve are too soon old und too late schmart
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Victoria

Postby JohnnoMcJohnno » Sun 28 Jan, 2024 5:02 pm

freehorizon wrote:Thanks, I was more concerned about the size than really the temperature rating, as i don't get really cold even when i roll over (i am also one of those sleep rollers). As i am tall (181cm) and broad i was more concerned about how much room would the bag give and if it would constrict me.

Ah, OK. Height wise you will be OK in the Liteline (but only just) and there's a good chance you may find it constrictive otherwise. I'm 185 cm and 96 kg. I fit inside but there's not a lot of wiggle room. In the Panyam, there's enough room for me to wear a light jacket, but I'd struggle to do the same in the Liteline, it's a little bit smaller. Personally I find the leg and feet area most constrictive, more-so than the arms and chest area, you don't have a lot of room down there at all. It was definitely a compromise solution, one I was happy to make to reduce my pack weight, but yes a bit more room would be nice.
JohnnoMcJohnno
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby freehorizon » Sun 28 Jan, 2024 5:47 pm

JohnnoMcJohnno wrote:
freehorizon wrote:Thanks, I was more concerned about the size than really the temperature rating, as i don't get really cold even when i roll over (i am also one of those sleep rollers). As i am tall (181cm) and broad i was more concerned about how much room would the bag give and if it would constrict me.

Ah, OK. Height wise you will be OK in the Liteline (but only just) and there's a good chance you may find it constrictive otherwise. I'm 185 cm and 96 kg. I fit inside but there's not a lot of wiggle room. In the Panyam, there's enough room for me to wear a light jacket, but I'd struggle to do the same in the Liteline, it's a little bit smaller. Personally I find the leg and feet area most constrictive, more-so than the arms and chest area, you don't have a lot of room down there at all. It was definitely a compromise solution, one I was happy to make to reduce my pack weight, but yes a bit more room would be nice.

did you get the large length wise or just the regular for both or the liteline? i also saw it was possible to make the bags wider, but i don't know how much that would end up helping.
freehorizon
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby JohnnoMcJohnno » Sun 28 Jan, 2024 6:58 pm

freehorizon wrote:
did you get the large length wise or just the regular for both or the liteline? i also saw it was possible to make the bags wider, but i don't know how much that would end up helping.

Cumulus only offer one size for all their bags off the shelf. Yes you can customize the standard bag for length, width, amount of down etc, but you pay quite a lot extra for any customization. Unless you know it's exactly what you want I don't think it's worth going down that path.
JohnnoMcJohnno
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby freehorizon » Sun 28 Jan, 2024 9:41 pm

JohnnoMcJohnno wrote:
freehorizon wrote:

Cumulus only offer one size for all their bags off the shelf. Yes you can customize the standard bag for length, width, amount of down etc, but you pay quite a lot extra for any customization. Unless you know it's exactly what you want I don't think it's worth going down that path.

Compared to a lot of things i don't think it adds that much to the overall cost. and i think the added benefits of being able to customize to your wanted specifications make it significantly better. but i do agree you need to know what you want/ what your requirements are.
freehorizon
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby Moondog55 » Tue 30 Jan, 2024 2:37 pm

Have a look a the local product too, I have a Large One Planet Coccon and while the footbox is a bit small for me the extra length in a Large makes up for it. Mine is the warmest with overfill but in the lighter weight fills it is a reasonable bag, not to tight in the legs. A large in the -5C rating comes in under your budget buy a couple of dollars and is an almost overnite order. The benefit of an OP bag is that down the track if you need more warmth they can add extra down for a reasonable cost
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby freehorizon » Tue 30 Jan, 2024 8:30 pm

Moondog55 wrote:Have a look a the local product too, I have a Large One Planet Coccon and while the footbox is a bit small for me the extra length in a Large makes up for it. Mine is the warmest with overfill but in the lighter weight fills it is a reasonable bag, not to tight in the legs. A large in the -5C rating comes in under your budget buy a couple of dollars and is an almost overnite order. The benefit of an OP bag is that down the track if you need more warmth they can add extra down for a reasonable cost

doesn't seem like the worst option although i haven't looked at them much. Another reason why i was looking at the cumulus is that they were relatively compact bags. but this also seems like a viable option. i also highly doubt it would be an overnight order especially since i live in Queensland but that would be probably faster than the bag coming from Poland. actually the cumulus Panyam 450 (now considering the panyam slightly higher than the lite line as it is a bit bigger and a bit warmer) when converted to Australian dollar with as close specs to the One Planet is also cheaper by around $30. although that would probably be covered by shipping. Anyway for now the big deciding factors are actually the internal size, the compactness and the price. so i will see which one i will end up choosing.
freehorizon
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby Moondog55 » Wed 31 Jan, 2024 6:50 am

If a compact stuffed size is your most important criterion then you will need to purchase the highest lofting down you can afford.
The packed bulk of a bag filled with 750 FP down is greater than one filled with 850FP and 500 t0 550 FP down is about equal to the better polyester insulations.
A bag with less zip will be more compact when stuffed than one with a full length zipper as the zip takes up a lot of space
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby freehorizon » Wed 31 Jan, 2024 4:22 pm

Moondog55 wrote:If a compact stuffed size is your most important criterion then you will need to purchase the highest lofting down you can afford.
The packed bulk of a bag filled with 750 FP down is greater than one filled with 850FP and 500 t0 550 FP down is about equal to the better polyester insulations.
A bag with less zip will be more compact when stuffed than one with a full length zipper as the zip takes up a lot of space

I am not looking for something like a spark 3 that packs down to the size of your phone. I do know that the fill power is quite important to the compactness of a bag. i really am looking for something that doesn't take up the space that my old current sleeping bag does as it being at something like 37x25cm when compacted is way to big for me especially in my backpack, for me what i am looking for is something in similar sizing to the one planet cocoon or the cumulus panyam 450
freehorizon
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Return to Equipment