Walking Pole advice

Bushwalking gear and paraphernalia. Electronic gadget topics (inc. GPS, PLB, chargers) belong in the 'Techno Babble' sub-forum.
Forum rules
TIP: The online Bushwalk Inventory System can help bushwalkers with a variety of bushwalk planning tasks, including: Manage which items they take bushwalking so that they do not forget anything they might need, plan meals for their walks, and automatically compile food/fuel shopping lists (lists of consumables) required to make and cook the meals for each walk. It is particularly useful for planning for groups who share food or other items, but is also useful for individual walkers.

Walking Pole advice

Postby adventuremum » Thu 01 Feb, 2024 9:55 pm

Hi folks
Seeking some advice on hiking poles (I bent my trusty 10 year+ exped lite 125 trekking pole last week coming down Mt Oakley on Overland track). These are my requirements
    Need to be solid & length adjustable as using  for Tarptents (Notch Li & Stratospire Li)
    Minimum length 105-110cm
    Using for hiking with pack (eg not trail running)
    Using with snow shoes on Feathertop etc so need to have compatible 85 mm baskets
    Less than 450g (pair) my exped Poles were 412g
    I like 3 piece poles (not a fan of z fold, 5 piece etc)
    Nervous about Carbon as 1 bent Alloy pole got me through next 4 days on Overland. A snapped Carbon pole would have been tricky with a tarptent
    Collapsed size - flexible - my exped poles were 56cm (which fitted in my pack on flights)
    Replacement parts available (eg could replace carbide tip in my exped poles
      Questions
        Notch Li Tarptent users/experts - can I get away with 110cm as minimum pole length? ( I usually pitch Notch Li at 109 cm pole height but I have gone lower 105cm (in torrential rain/storms)
        Should I go with Alloy? Avoid Carbon?
        Is there much difference between AluTech 7075 / Alloy 7075 & alloy in my exped poles? (DAC featherlite NSL TH72M aluminium)
        Alloy 3 section poles have 12/14/16mm sections or 14/16/18mm sections, is it worth extra weight to have larger diameter poles ?
        Is it worth paying extra for anti-shock?
         Are wing locks better? Easier to operate in snow with gloves?
        I have reasonably small hands - any advice on models which have smaller grips or work better for smaller hands?
        Any experience (good & bad) of Leki , Masters, Helinox, Black Diamond?
          These are models on my current possible  list (haven't got to big city to see / try them yet)
          ALLOY
            Leki Cressida women's (474g, 110-130cm, Alloy 3 section, 16/14/12mm, collapsed size 64cm)
            Helinox ridgeline LBB 135 (466g, 112-135cm, Alloy 4 section, collapsed size 54cm)
            Leki Khombu lite (492g, 110-130cm, Alloy 3 section, 16/14/12mm, collapsed size 67cm)
            Masters Dolomiti  ALU  (496g, 110-135cm, Alloy 7075, 3 section, 16/14/12mm, collapsed size 66cm)
            Masters Sherpa anti-shock CSS  (504g, 105-135cm, Alloy AluTech 7075, 3 section, 18/16/14mm, collapsed size 65cm)
            Leki Legacy lite (522g, 110-130cm, Alloy 3 section, 16/14/12mm, collapsed size 68cm)
              CARBON or ALLOY/CARBON 
                Masters summit light Calu  (424g, 110-135cm, calu tech (Alloy Carbon)  AluTech 7075, 3 section, 16/14/12mm, collapsed size 61cm)
                Masters Dolomiti GT Calu  (426g,110-135cm,  calu tech (Alloy Carbon)  AluTech 7075, 3 section, 16/14/12mm, collapsed size 66cm)
                Masters Speedster Calu  (436g,110-130cm, Calu tech (Alloy Carbon)  AluTech 7075, , 4 section, 18/ 16/14/12mm, collapsed size 52cm)
                Masters Eiger Calu  (480g, 110-135cm, calu tech (Alloy Carbon)  AluTech 7075, 3 section, 16/14/12mm, collapsed size 66cm)
                Black Diamond Alpine Carbon Cork (486g, 100-130cm, Carbon, 3 section, collapsed size 63cm) 
                  I'm 165 cm, approx 60kg, usually use my poles at about 118cm (& 122cm on long descents), so no need for poles in excess of 130cm length.
                  Thanks
                  Last edited by adventuremum on Fri 02 Feb, 2024 6:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
                  adventuremum
                  Athrotaxis cupressoides
                  Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Victoria

Re: Walking Pole advice

Postby Dexter » Fri 02 Feb, 2024 6:16 am

I'll have to look up what I'm using when I get home. They are Leki carbon, though I'm 6'2" so they aren't small ones. Still, I'm sure they would be made in an appropriate size. They have been great for me and use them with the Stratospire Li. They are three piece, flip lock (which I prefer in hiking poles and camera tripods).

Sent from my Pixel 7 Pro using Tapatalk
                  Dexter
                  Athrotaxis cupressoides
                  Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Biggles » Fri 02 Feb, 2024 9:03 am

Helinox ridgeline LBB 135 (466g, 112-135cm, Alloy 4 section, collapsed size 54cm)

These are what I use for anything and everything for the last two years, and I've had many different trekking poles over the years. The Helinox replaced a Leki Terrano set (far heavier, clumsy to adjust and the plastic nuts holding the cliplocks broke repeatedly). I rolled my ankle last Monday afternoon stepping back from the letterbox outside, and now I use one pole to get around a bit easier by easing off weight!

Baskets are easily interchangeable for whatever small or larger versions are required. Tips, too, can be exchanged. One touch collapsibility is one of the best features (release the clip, snap the pole down and it's done), along with extended thermoformed foam grip for when the poles are fully extended.

I have small hands too, not helped lately by the onset of arthritis and have no trouble operating the cliplocks, even with gloves.

The benefit of antishock is overstated IMHO. I have never felt a dire need for it with the Helinox poles. Others swear by the feature.

There are other poles too, but of carbon fibre, unless you are a proverbial 'weight-weenie' (road cyclist speak for having an unnatural attraction to ultralightweight materials without little (or no!) justified reason...). I saw poles costing around $700 a set, aimed at trail runners, but they felt so flimsy that I seriously questioned how long they would last after a couple of head-over-heels moments.
                  “Is é comhrá faoin aimsir an tearmann deiridh ag an duine gan samhlaíocht.”
                  —Oscar Wilde, 1890.
                  Biggles
                  Athrotaxis cupressoides
                  Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Lostsoul » Fri 02 Feb, 2024 9:30 am

Used to use them,broke every set I had.Sometimes they take a lot more energy to use than not.
                  Build your leg muscles and knees up without them and get strong..be a man lol
                  Lostsoul
                  Athrotaxis cupressoides
                  Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Tasmania

Postby Biggles » Fri 02 Feb, 2024 12:40 pm

Lostsoul wrote:Used to use them,broke every set I had.Sometimes they take a lot more energy to use than not.

Eh!?
                  You've broken your boots.
                  You've broken your gaiters.
                  You're broken your poles...

This could be an interesting list. What else have you broken, hmm? :lol:
                  “Is é comhrá faoin aimsir an tearmann deiridh ag an duine gan samhlaíocht.”
                  —Oscar Wilde, 1890.
                  Biggles
                  Athrotaxis cupressoides
                  Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby adventuremum » Fri 02 Feb, 2024 2:29 pm

Biggles wrote:Helinox ridgeline LBB 135 (466g, 112-135cm, Alloy 4 section, collapsed size 54cm)

These are what I use for anything and everything for the last two years, and I've had many different trekking poles over the years. The Helinox replaced a Leki Terrano set (far heavier, clumsy to adjust and the plastic nuts holding the cliplocks broke repeatedly). I rolled my ankle last Monday afternoon stepping back from the letterbox outside, and now I use one pole to get around a bit easier by easing off weight!

Baskets are easily interchangeable for whatever small or larger versions are required. Tips, too, can be exchanged. One touch collapsibility is one of the best features (release the clip, snap the pole down and it's done), along with extended thermoformed foam grip for when the poles are fully extended.

I have small hands too, not helped lately by the onset of arthritis and have no trouble operating the cliplocks, even with gloves.

The benefit of antishock is overstated IMHO. I have never felt a dire need for it with the Helinox poles. Others swear by the feature.

There are other poles too, but of carbon fibre, unless you are a proverbial 'weight-weenie' (road cyclist speak for having an unnatural attraction to ultralightweight materials without little (or no!) justified reason...). I saw poles costing around $700 a set, aimed at trail runners, but they felt so flimsy that I seriously questioned how long they would last after a couple of head-over-heels moments.

Thanks for that. Good to know about Leki plastic nuts etc & your Helinox recommendation
                  adventuremum
                  Athrotaxis cupressoides
                  Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Franco » Sun 04 Feb, 2024 10:11 am

With the Notch 110cm is OK but with the SS Li you are better off with 120cm or so.
                  In emergency you could always put the handle over your shoe , that will not slip away.
                  I have a part carbon BD pole set and that has been great, I think that Al is better at taking some lateral pressure than CF. (if you get the pole jammed in a hole or something like that.
                  Franco
                  Lagarostrobos franklinii
                  Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Dexter » Sun 04 Feb, 2024 10:33 am

These are what I have been using for a couple of years. And work well with the SS Li. So far no issue with the locknuts on mine yet. 430g for the pair is quite good I reckon. The only thing that might need to be replaced are the hand straps, they are starting to look a bit worn out.

https://aspireadventureequipment.com.au ... polespair/

Dexter
                  Athrotaxis cupressoides
                  Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby adventuremum » Sun 04 Feb, 2024 8:18 pm

Thanks - that model looks good 100-135cm, 430g & carbon/alloy. Now I just have to find them somewhere as looks like discontinued.
                  adventuremum
                  Athrotaxis cupressoides
                  Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Dexter » Mon 05 Feb, 2024 5:36 pm

adventuremum wrote:Thanks - that model looks good 100-135cm, 430g & carbon/alloy. Now I just have to find them somewhere as looks like discontinued.
                  Yeah I did notice a couple of places online had no stock. Since they've done me well and haven't looked of lafe Im unsure if they've released an equivalent model.

Dexter
                  Athrotaxis cupressoides
                  Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Dave95 » Tue 13 Feb, 2024 12:59 pm

The Helinox LBB poles are out of stock at the moment, according to the Helinox website. The LBBs are very rugged poles but if you want the lights poles then the ones to consider are the FL120s. They re currently in stock. In the bushwalking club to which I belong a number of members have Helinox poles and most of those nave FL120s. However, the neon they have been chosen is cost and weight.
                  Dave95
                  Nothofagus cunninghamii
                  Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby inwaver » Tue 20 Feb, 2024 9:08 pm

For the Notch Li Tarptent, you can use poles with a minimum length of 110cm, but you may want to have some extra length for flexibility and stability. The recommended pole length is 115cm, but you can go as low as 100cm or as high as 125cm depending on the terrain and weather conditions.

Carbon poles are lighter and stiffer than alloy poles, but they are also more expensive and less durable. If you are hiking on rough or rocky terrain, or you are prone to bending or breaking your poles, you may want to stick with alloy poles.
                  inwaver
                  Nothofagus cunninghamii
                  Nothofagus cunninghamii

Region: New South Wales

Postby Lostsoul » Sat 02 Mar, 2024 8:52 am

Biggles wrote:
                  Lostsoul wrote:Used to use them,broke every set I had.Sometimes they take a lot more energy to use than not.

Yeah so?Maybe I do a lot more walking and a lot more off track stuff than most people

Eh!?
                  You've broken your boots.
                  You've broken your gaiters.
                  You're broken your poles...

This could be an interesting list. What else have you broken, hmm? :lol:
                  Lostsoul
                  Athrotaxis cupressoides
                  Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Tasmania

Return to Equipment