Gear problems and causes / solutions

Bushwalking gear and paraphernalia. Electronic gadget topics (inc. GPS, PLB, chargers) belong in the 'Techno Babble' sub-forum.
Forum rules
TIP: The online Bushwalk Inventory System can help bushwalkers with a variety of bushwalk planning tasks, including: Manage which items they take bushwalking so that they do not forget anything they might need, plan meals for their walks, and automatically compile food/fuel shopping lists (lists of consumables) required to make and cook the meals for each walk. It is particularly useful for planning for groups who share food or other items, but is also useful for individual walkers.

Re: Gear problems and causes / solutions

Postby Orion » Mon 04 Jun, 2018 3:10 pm

Language is more complicated and flows both ways, although not equally. "No worries" is a common expression here nowadays. I can't speak for all Americans but I don't want to see any culture subsumed by another. The differences are what makes it so interesting.

That said, I prefer "pad" to "mat".
Orion
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Other Country

Postby Lamont » Mon 04 Jun, 2018 3:49 pm

Come across in ten years, this will be the 51st state. I have worked with thousands of children aged 12 -18, (every year for the past 30).
If you want to find out what will happen next, look to the children. Again, really, nothing against you.
Point in case-the spell check on this very web-site is set to American language, when I type in color it does not underline in red, my "error", when I type in colour, my word is now underlined in red. I would be willing to bet that you didn't even notice that when you spell US on an Australian forum site that it didn't underline your error-am I right? The changes are not even subtle anymore. Flows both ways-afraid not, your mistaken. Anyway, have an awesome day. All the best.
Lamont
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: https://www.againstmalaria.com/

Postby Lophophaps » Mon 04 Jun, 2018 4:03 pm

Orion wrote:Language is more complicated and flows both ways, although not equally. "No worries" is a common expression here nowadays. I can't speak for all Americans but I don't want to see any culture subsumed by another. The differences are what makes it so interesting.

That said, I prefer "pad" to "mat".

Vive le difference. The French have proscribed English words used in France when there are existing French words.
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... sting.html
https://www.thelocal.fr/20160316/englis ... ver-before

I did not know there was a spell check on the website. Short posts can be checked quickly as I key in the comment box. Longer ones are keyed in a word processor and moved to the comment box.
Lophophaps
Auctorita modica
Auctorita modica

Region: Victoria

Postby Orion » Mon 04 Jun, 2018 4:13 pm

I didn't know about a website spell check either. Where is it? The spell check I use is built into either my browser or the OS, I'm not sure which. And I'm always teaching it new words, ones that it really should already know. Since I post here I've taught it accept "colour".
Orion
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Lamont » Mon 04 Jun, 2018 4:19 pm

Lophopaps do you not notice (or does it not occur when you type in "colour") that each time you spell a word correctly, that if there is a US spelling of the same word i.e. colour, you will be told you have made an "error"?
Do you have a different system to me?
Oh, and the Frogs made that decision long ago- A CD was not allowed to be advertised as CD, it had to be Compacte Discuelle or something like that.
And it is English globally they are fighting but it is basically American English.
They just give a s----t because they understand the value of language's integral place within preservation of their culture.
Lamont
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: https://www.againstmalaria.com/

Postby Neo » Mon 04 Jun, 2018 6:13 pm

For me, and always will be:
Mat, it's short for mattress;
Pad, it's short for padding. Something smaller that you might put under your bum (I don't have a butt!)
Neo
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: New South Wales

Postby Lophophaps » Mon 04 Jun, 2018 9:12 pm

Drifting a bit off-topic, no matter, hopefully helpful. The spell checker is part of Firefox, and may vary with the program location - see
https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/ho ... ll-checker

This is an Australian dictionary
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefo ... age-tools/
Lophophaps
Auctorita modica
Auctorita modica

Postby PepsiMax88 » Sat 07 Jul, 2018 7:59 pm

anyone know how to fix a drawstring on a sleeping bag?

Specifically the hood section, as it only goes about 90% around the sleeping bag hooded area (stops at the zipper area front and back)

I can feel the cord left in the hood has like a weird end on it, like heat shrink/thinner string and would you just need to sew the new string into the hooded ends.

hope this makes sense
PepsiMax88
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Region: Australia

Postby Moondog55 » Sat 07 Jul, 2018 8:45 pm

PepsiMax88 wrote:anyone know how to fix a drawstring on a sleeping bag?

Specifically the hood section, as it only goes about 90% around the sleeping bag hooded area (stops at the zipper area front and back)

I can feel the cord left in the hood has like a weird end on it, like heat shrink/thinner string and would you just need to sew the new string into the hooded ends.

hope this makes sense

Has the cord pulled out?
Ve are too soon old und too late schmart
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby PepsiMax88 » Sat 07 Jul, 2018 9:50 pm

Moondog55 wrote:
PepsiMax88 wrote:....

Has the cord pulled out?

it snapped half way on one end and came fully out on the other
PepsiMax88
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby Neo » Sun 08 Jul, 2018 9:45 am

I had a hem elastic come off at one end, not fully pulled out. Wriggled it back to a seam and hand stitched through the elastic cord and seam a few times. Is holding.

Sounds like you need a new piece and thread it back in, then stitch it to stay there. One of those big blunt needles may help getting it in(forgot the name)
Neo
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby north-north-west » Sun 08 Jul, 2018 11:11 am

Tapestry or carpet needle might work.

I've done this with a couple of sleeping bags. Work the far end in to the appropriate point and stitch in place. So far they've latest longer than the original attachment.
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Social Misfits Anonymous
Region: Tasmania

Postby Moondog55 » Thu 12 Jul, 2018 9:12 am

Common problem. I have had to make a small hole in the thread tunnel in order to rethread a cord but it is a small hole and once stitched back up merely a cosmetic issue. I have found good elastic a superior material for drawcords too so consider using that as a replacement.
Spotlite in the haberdashery department and a "Birch" Pinch and Pull Bodkin is what Cecile recommends as the cheapest and easiest method
Ve are too soon old und too late schmart
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Lophophaps » Thu 12 Jul, 2018 2:38 pm

One way to thread drawstrings is to use a paperclip. Tie the cord to the end with one bend of metal so that the double end pushes through the tunnel. Make an overhand knot and leave a long tail on the free end, maybe 100 mm. This ensures that the knot stays done up. If the tunnel is non-contiguous then double the cord for about 30 mm and wrap tightly with thread and finish with several clove hitches to make it stiff enough to push. When you get to the end of the tunnel stitch the cord in place.
Lophophaps
Auctorita modica
Auctorita modica

Postby PepsiMax88 » Sun 15 Jul, 2018 3:17 am

Lophophaps wrote:One way to thread drawstrings is to use a paperclip. Tie the cord to the end with one bend of metal so that the double end pushes through the tunnel. Make an overhand knot and leave a long tail on the free end, maybe 100 mm. This ensures that the knot stays done up. If the tunnel is non-contiguous then double the cord for about 30 mm and wrap tightly with thread and finish with several clove hitches to make it stiff enough to push. When you get to the end of the tunnel stitch the cord in place.

deeply appreciate the help with the above comments.

I might give the below a go, as then I can leave one section already in place and stitch up on one side - plus it doesnt look that difficult to do

PepsiMax88
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby Neo » Mon 16 Jul, 2018 4:04 pm

Just noticed my 2lt Platypus is showing fatigue at the mouth. Worst is beside the hard block, and that wrinkle half way along.
Any idea of fixes, or is it close to failure then replacement?
Not particularly old and had not been treated roughly :(
Attachments
IMAG0212.jpg
Neo
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Biggles » Tue 16 Jul, 2019 10:41 am

Over the years I have had 2 or 3 of these packable Platypus flasks, and after moderate use they become sort of brittle and crinkled, eventually leading to failure somewhere alongn the welding of the spout. This is in addition to a far from hygienc material choice. My end-stage solution was to throw the thing out and buy another, only to have it happen again over a period of time! Camelbak flasks are a bit bulkier but much better made -- I have two of these used for mountain biking. Osprey also make novel substitutes made out of a strange silicone-feeling material with interchangeable "sucker" spout or flexible tube with a bite valve at the end. The downside of the Osprey flasks is the odd taste, but filling the flask with hot water and lemon juice can fix that — to a point.
“Is é comhrá faoin aimsir an tearmann deiridh ag an duine gan samhlaíocht.”
—Oscar Wilde, 1890.
Biggles
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Neo » Sat 03 Aug, 2019 4:01 pm

The 2lt platypus did leak at the neck so its out of service.
Couldn't be bothered enquiring about warranty and they sell for just $20.
But instead of buying the same problem I'll eventually try the evernew 2lt from tiergear. I have a hose for the platy and the evernew has the same size outlet.

In the meantime a milspec 3lt camelback is back onboard, the 1lt platy still ok but rarely in use.
Neo
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Gadgetgeek » Sat 03 Aug, 2019 4:29 pm

I've gone through a few of the platys, I like the 0.5l for a walking around bottle. Prices in Canada made them far easier to just toss and replace. At the end of the day it all trades off, I like having a bottle available to fill at any time, so I'll still use them. The weight is what sells it for me. Next time I need more I'll see where the market is at. Not really caring for the silicone bottles though, they seem heavy for what you get, and I'm not sure they are any more durable.
Gadgetgeek
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Queensland

Postby Mark F » Sat 03 Aug, 2019 6:20 pm

For small bottles why go for collapsible? A 500/600ml pet bottle is virtually free and lasts for ages. For larger bottles the collapsible ones work well to keep the pack volume under control. I usually carry 3 litres of water storage capacity, 2 x 600ml pet bottles for water during the day and a 2 litre collapsible for use in camp. If I need more capacity then a 1.5 litre pet bottle is added.
"Perfection is attained not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing more to remove".
Mark F
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Australian Capital Territory

Postby Neo » Sat 03 Aug, 2019 8:06 pm

My favourite for over year is the Balance one litre from the supermarket. Nice to hold, fits in pockets and cup holders.
Find a discarded pop top from a tiny kids juice, priceless!
Neo
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Lophophaps » Sun 04 Aug, 2019 7:51 am

Australian Consumer Law provides that an item must be fit for service. It sounds like the Platypus breaches this, and remedies exist. However, for $20, why bother? For decades I have had only wine casks in a nylon bag I made. These casks take up very little volume when not in use, last for ages, and can easily be replaced. Emptying the wine is pleasant.
Lophophaps
Auctorita modica
Auctorita modica

Postby Gadgetgeek » Sun 04 Aug, 2019 8:27 am

Mark F wrote:For small bottles why go for collapsible? A 500/600ml pet bottle is virtually free and lasts for ages. For larger bottles the collapsible ones work well to keep the pack volume under control. I usually carry 3 litres of water storage capacity, 2 x 600ml pet bottles for water during the day and a 2 litre collapsible for use in camp. If I need more capacity then a 1.5 litre pet bottle is added.

This is probably going to seem very "first world problem" Not a fan of how noisy PET bottles are as they get older. I also find that they tend to pick up that algae funk a bit more. Could I use them, sure could. The Platy fits in a flat pocket when empty. Its purely a luxury choice.
As far as fit for service, I think they (platy) warranty for defects for one year, and fit for service is such a vague term, its why almost all products are now listed "for domestic use" and so any fault can easily be attributed to a use outside the design. Can't win.
Gadgetgeek
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Queensland

Postby farefam » Fri 23 Aug, 2019 6:10 pm

If your boots give you sore feet, try replacing the boot liners with gel insoles, such as from Scholl. The cost is minimal and your feet will thank you for it.
farefam
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Petew » Thu 05 Sep, 2019 8:58 am

Problem, lusting after new ultralight cottage gear, solution look at my bank balance......
Petew
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Postby Bubbalouie » Thu 05 Sep, 2019 4:11 pm

Petew wrote:Problem, lusting after new ultralight cottage gear, solution look at my bank balance......
You can always MYOG during the hotter months when overnight excursions are a bad idea.

Price of materials and shipping may be a new problem with the same solution though [UNAMUSED FACE]
Bubbalouie
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: South Australia

Postby Petew » Thu 05 Sep, 2019 5:27 pm

Actually, I'm kind of interested in learning how to use a sewing machine. What's the best way to go about it? Ask my mum? Community college course or some such?
Petew

Postby Bubbalouie » Thu 05 Sep, 2019 7:13 pm

Petew wrote:Actually, I'm kind of interested in learning how to use a sewing machine. What's the best way to go about it? Ask my mum? Community college course or some such?
I'm possibly the worst person to ask given how some of my (still quite basic) projects look.

But for me, YouTube + trial and error.

I have managed to make a few items that are exactly tailored to my needs and very light, but a few threads have come loose and I only just realised why today.

In any case I do recommend giving it a crack, worst case is you're down a few hours and have some ugly gear.
Bubbalouie
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: South Australia

RE: Gear problems and causes/solutions

Postby alanoutgear » Mon 21 Oct, 2019 5:19 pm

MSR universal footprint fly first pitch fix

One of the complaints about the universal footprints for the MSR Hubba series of tents is that there are no longer any grommets in the footprint tie downs to allow fly first pitch, but there is a simple fix.
Each corner of the universal footprint has a long tie out loop - if you make a tight loop with an overhand knot just big enough to get the pole end spigot through, where the loop joins the webbing you can push the pole end spigot through and do a fly first pitch.
If it's raining, place the inner under the erect fly, place the inner corner tabs on the pole end spigots and clip the inner onto the poles.
It's a bit of trial and error to get the loops just right, but it only took me about 20 minutes.
Attachments
20191021_173110-3024x1701.jpg
20191021_173051-3024x1701.jpg
20191021_173042-3024x1701.jpg
alanoutgear
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby wildwanderer » Sun 27 Oct, 2019 9:04 pm

Sleeping mat valve repair.

One of my matts has developed a leak around the valve. (at the join between the matt and where the valve sticks through).

I was planning to coat the area in liquid sealant as the spot is to difficult to put a patch over.

Should work right?
wildwanderer
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

PreviousNext

Return to Equipment