Gear problems and causes / solutions

Bushwalking gear and paraphernalia. Electronic gadget topics (inc. GPS, PLB, chargers) belong in the 'Techno Babble' sub-forum.
Forum rules
TIP: The online Bushwalk Inventory System can help bushwalkers with a variety of bushwalk planning tasks, including: Manage which items they take bushwalking so that they do not forget anything they might need, plan meals for their walks, and automatically compile food/fuel shopping lists (lists of consumables) required to make and cook the meals for each walk. It is particularly useful for planning for groups who share food or other items, but is also useful for individual walkers.

Re: Gear problems and causes / solutions

Postby Bubbalouie » Sun 27 Oct, 2019 9:08 pm

If it's a thermarest they sell valve repair kits.

Might work better that way as you can fill the whole length of the valve's thread with new glue.
Bubbalouie
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: South Australia

Postby wildwanderer » Sun 27 Oct, 2019 9:24 pm

Bubbalouie wrote:If it's a thermarest they sell valve repair kits.

Might work better that way as you can fill the whole length of the valve's thread with new glue.

Thanks for the reply.

Its a nemo unfortunately. So you dont have confidence that applying sealant to the surface will be sufficient?

As per usual I’ve left it too late to contact the nemo distributor and see if they can send me a new valve. (never seen a nemo valve repair kit in retail stores)
wildwanderer
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: New South Wales

Postby Neo » Sun 27 Oct, 2019 10:20 pm

WW yup!
Neo
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Bubbalouie » Sun 27 Oct, 2019 10:44 pm

wildwanderer wrote:Thanks for the reply.

Its a nemo unfortunately. So you dont have confidence that applying sealant to the surface will be sufficient?

As per usual I’ve left it too late to contact the nemo distributor and see if they can send me a new valve. (never seen a nemo valve repair kit in retail stores)

I've never had to do anything more than a new valve in a thermarest or a leaky bike tire, so I'm afraid I've got not useful experience to offer sorry.

I expect it'd probably hold, especially if it's a slow leak. If the air pressure (of the leak) is low and the glue is pliable it should be ok I think. So long as your glue is able to stick to the surface in question anyway.

Personally in your situation I'd consider gluing a new membrane around the leaky spot if I could. That would require enough room though. Either that or I'd use a glue designed to plug leaks (silicone sealant maybe?).

In any case, best of luck. I hope it goes well.
Bubbalouie
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: South Australia

Postby Lophophaps » Mon 28 Oct, 2019 5:06 am

It should work but a patch is advised. The leak is probably due to flexing of the valve, which will continue, so having a patch seems to me to be advised. You may be able to find a big patch and cut a hole for the valve, thus giving a contiguous reinforcement. I cannot decide if there should be sealant and a patch or both. What sort of mat is it?
Lophophaps
Auctorita modica
Auctorita modica

Region: Victoria

Postby wildwanderer » Mon 28 Oct, 2019 6:10 am

Its a nemo tensor.

This is what the valve looks like. Its leaking at the join between the hard plastic of the valve and the mat material.

When you guys mention sealant. Are you talking about the stuff that comes with mat repair kits? or something more heavy duty?

nemo.png
nemo.png (492.19 KiB) Viewed 50771 times
wildwanderer
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Petew » Mon 28 Oct, 2019 7:19 am

Yeah, Aquaseal or Seamgrip will do the job if it's a small hole.
Petew
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Postby Lophophaps » Mon 28 Oct, 2019 9:44 am

Some time ago I asked about sealing sleeping mats with bicycle glue, and from memory the consensus was that it's best to use the glue that came with the mat. However, there may be (probably are) glues that will work with a range of plastics. While sealants or glue alone may work, I'm tending to have a reinforcement of the area. You may be able to use a big patch designed for a bigger mat such as a li-lo. This will be heavier than the Nemo fabric but it will give reassurance. Someone may have a larger patch of Nemo fabric.
Lophophaps
Auctorita modica
Auctorita modica

Postby wildwanderer » Mon 28 Oct, 2019 10:06 am

Ive used seamgrip. (sil version as that all i had handy and which was likly a mistake to use :oops: ). Seems to be bonding alright. Will see how it goes. Takes 6 hours to cure.

If not I have a backup mat I can use, however the holed one had a better R value. This may be the kick i need to order a xlite.. :lol:
wildwanderer
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby madpom » Mon 28 Oct, 2019 11:59 am

Won't help for your valve problem but I've used tenacious tape on my mattress with 3 years of troublefree use since. Also on tent and on drybag with similar success.

Not found a product that comesnear to it despite trying several competetors 'equivalents'
madpom
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: routeguides.co.nz
Region: New Zealand

Postby Petew » Mon 28 Oct, 2019 11:59 am

Let us know how the Sil seamgrip goes. I suspect the PU version would be more suitable but you never know....
Petew

Postby Petew » Mon 28 Oct, 2019 12:01 pm

Madpom,

Tenacious tape is amazingly good. Pretty permanent. Not cheap though.
Petew

Postby GregG » Mon 30 Mar, 2020 9:39 am

So my Mont rain jacket has shed its "hanging up loop" as well as the makers label. I have looked at the rest of the garment and thankfully the seam tape looks to be ok and the waterproof integrity does noot appear to be compromised. I would welcome any advice on how to rebond the loop and lable which are both sewn onto a strip of what looks like the inner layer of coat, it is this strip ( about15mm by 75mm) that has detached itself. I was wondering if a thin layer clear Silastic would work like a waterproof adhesive? (I would attach a picture but can't figure out how to). Cheers, Greg.
GregG

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Old bushie

Postby GregG » Tue 31 Mar, 2020 11:15 am

The loop and the label aren't really essential for the effective performance of the garment so I think I'll just leave it off, I can always hang it to dry by the hood. I don't really want to muck around with adhesives of unknown composition that might attack the hydronaute layer and bugger-up the waterproof qualities (such as they are).
GregG

Postby Brink » Mon 10 Aug, 2020 1:08 pm

Has anyone had any experience with very small micro holes along the welded seams of a Thermarest Neoair? I have over twenty of these suckers along the upper top part of a 2 year old pad. The holes are ‘only’ along the seam lines on four separate rows. It takes about two hours for the mattress to deflate. Cheers for any feedback.
Attachments
555A87FD-C0C4-47A1-AE88-545E15216C9D.jpeg
Brink
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Region: Queensland

Postby Lamont » Mon 10 Aug, 2020 3:18 pm

Copied from elsewhere-
the Cascade (TR) agent in Aus is Spelean P/L cascade@spelean.com.au ph 61-2-9966-9800.
I would certainly try them.
Lamont
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: https://www.againstmalaria.com/
Region: Other Country

Postby Lamont » Mon 10 Aug, 2020 3:19 pm

Brink wrote:Has anyone had any experience with very small micro holes along the welded seams of a Thermarest Neoair? I have over twenty of these suckers along the upper top part of a 2 year old pad. The holes are ‘only’ along the seam lines on four separate rows. It takes about two hours for the mattress to deflate. Cheers for any feedback.

Whoops a daisy -see above post
Lamont
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: https://www.againstmalaria.com/
Region: Other Country

Postby GregG » Mon 10 Aug, 2020 5:50 pm

Like Lamont said. My Thermarest says it has a lifetime guarantee so flick the problem back to the retailer or the distributor.
GregG

Postby Brink » Mon 17 Aug, 2020 11:10 am

Thanks guys. Will do. Still keen to hear if anyone has experienced these micro holes and what the cause is? Cheers.
Brink
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby Petew » Mon 17 Aug, 2020 1:30 pm

Looks like an internal delamination problem (at a guess) Adhesive holding the baffles pulling away?
Petew

Postby nezumi » Thu 17 Sep, 2020 10:41 am

Another sleeping mat repair question - I have a self-inflating mat that I picked up off the Pay It Forward thread for my daughter to use when she's a bit bigger (only just hit 4 months).

It was losing air rapidly (as in, by the time I took a second breath to fill it up, it was deflated again). Testing by immersing in water while blowing into it revealed lots of bubbles all along the bottom of the mat, for the full length of the seam. Is there a preferred method of repair here? Seam sealer or similar spread in between the fabric layers?
nezumi
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby CasualNerd » Thu 17 Sep, 2020 1:47 pm

nezumi wrote:Another sleeping mat repair question - I have a self-inflating mat that I picked up off the Pay It Forward thread for my daughter to use when she's a bit bigger (only just hit 4 months).

It was losing air rapidly (as in, by the time I took a second breath to fill it up, it was deflated again). Testing by immersing in water while blowing into it revealed lots of bubbles all along the bottom of the mat, for the full length of the seam. Is there a preferred method of repair here? Seam sealer or similar spread in between the fabric layers?
CasualNerd
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Tasmania

Postby CasualNerd » Thu 17 Sep, 2020 1:51 pm

nezumi wrote:Another sleeping mat repair question - I have a self-inflating mat that I picked up off the Pay It Forward thread for my daughter to use when she's a bit bigger (only just hit 4 months).

I was going to suggest heat sealing the edges back together if it's a modern mat, but if it's the older style self inflating mat you might be right it's a job for more glue.
CasualNerd
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Tasmania

Postby Moondog55 » Thu 17 Sep, 2020 3:16 pm

Pin holes are a repair by owner but if the weld on a seam has gone it is usually covered by the Thermarest product warranty. Take it to a shop and ask. T'Rest are usually good with warranty claims on faulty goods even after a long time
Ve are too soon old und too late schmart
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Brink » Thu 17 Sep, 2020 11:25 pm

My feeling is that if the bottom seam has separated then the stock seamline glue will only be a temporary fix. I would use something of a more industrial strength.
Brink
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby Moondog55 » Tue 03 Nov, 2020 3:45 pm

wildwanderer wrote:Its a nemo tensor.

This is what the valve looks like. Its leaking at the join between the hard plastic of the valve and the mat material.

When you guys mention sealant. Are you talking about the stuff that comes with mat repair kits? or something more heavy duty?

I just repaired a camping mat with a similar problem, it wasn't exactly cheap either but we have had it too long to take it back and claim manufacturing fault. Hard plastic insert for the valve with a sharp edge and the fabric wore away.
I used a lot of silicon as well as a patch.
Hopefully it will do Cecile for the weekend, but I may have to sell both the S2S si deluxe to fund her a new comfortable full sized mattress
Ve are too soon old und too late schmart
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby wildwanderer » Sat 12 Dec, 2020 7:02 am

Petew wrote:Let us know how the Sil seamgrip goes. I suspect the PU version would be more suitable but you never know....

Forgot to report back. The seam grip Sil version repair was a fail. Started leaking again almost immediately. So bit the bullet and got a xlite. Very happy with the xlite, warm and not noisy.

IMO the Nemo's are too fragile.. light and reasonably cheap but having owned two Il be sticking to thermarest from now on.
wildwanderer
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby MichelleN » Mon 18 Jan, 2021 9:28 am

Methylated spirits as fuel
Hoping someone can answer this question: I had some 'old' (as in probably 20 years) metho which burns in my Trangia perfectly. bought some new metho which won't ignite, in the Trangia or anywhere. I'm guessing it's a new safety regulation. My question is what fuel can I use in my Trangia?
MichelleN
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby Brink » Mon 18 Jan, 2021 10:33 am

Hi Michelle,

I think ‘methylated spitits' hasn't contained methanol for decades. It's 95%+ ethanol with Bitrex added to make it unpalatable. What brand did you try? Also ethanol can be hard to light if it is cold. https://formanddesign.com.au/blog/what- ... at-is-e10/
Brink
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby MichelleN » Mon 18 Jan, 2021 10:37 am

The brand is Diggers. I don't think it was the cold, have used it in colder conditions than the weekend. Thanks very much for the link - great info!
MichelleN
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

PreviousNext

Return to Equipment