Cyttaria gunnii - edible fungi on Myrtles

Food topics, including recipes.

Cyttaria gunnii - edible fungi on Myrtles

Postby Son of a Beach » Mon 27 Aug, 2007 9:32 am

I was going to post this in the old Recipe and Menu Suggestions topic, but thought maybe it deserves a topic of it's own.

Has anyone tried eating the golf-ball like fungus that grows on the trunks of Myrtle Beech trees towards the end of the year? (and which is often seen fallen on the ground beneath the trees).

I did a little research a couple of years ago and the fungus is called "Cyttaria gunnii" (and despite its name, it grows on Nothofagus cunninghammii, not Nothofagus gunnii).

(NB: This photo ain't mine... click it to view it in its original page)

They're supposed be OK for food, according to this page, but I'm always a bit dubious about eating strange fungi, as I know that instant death can result from eating some fungi (well, maybe not quite instant).

I certainly plan to at least taste it next time I find some, and if it's any good, I might make some effort to actually cook with it later.
Last edited by Son of a Beach on Tue 02 Oct, 2007 7:40 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Son of a Beach
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Bit Map (NIXANZ)
Region: Tasmania

Postby Pompom » Mon 27 Aug, 2007 5:44 pm

We used to call them Myrtle Oranges around Derwent Bridge. I've never known whether or not they're edible I wouldn't be game to try them.
Cheers

Bob Cooper
Pompom

Postby krilly » Fri 14 Sep, 2007 9:44 am

Great pic - that's an exquisite looking fungus.
krilly
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby forthferalz » Sun 23 Sep, 2007 8:55 am

Please take a digital photo of the one selected for test BEFORE you try it and post it .. so if there's no follow up post we know which is the wrong one :lol:
forthferalz
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby walkinTas » Tue 02 Oct, 2007 2:55 pm

Nice photo. Got any more for the Fungi Gallery
walkinTas
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby tasadam » Fri 05 Oct, 2007 8:41 am

I found this link, which has a fair bit of info, links, etc...

Of note,
Cyttaria gunnii
In Australia this fungus grows only on Nothofagus trees in Tasmania and southern Victoria. The fruiting bodies are yellow to orange and golfball-like in appearance. The fruiting bodies were eaten and also contained a fluid that was of "pleasant taste" to George Robinson, in the first European account of the use of this fungus, in 1833

Other interesting descriptions of other (differrent) fungi from that site include
It was used by many desert tribes to darken the white hair in old men's whiskers and for body painting.

There are reports of its also being used as a fly repellent.

The smoke from burning fruit bodies was inhaled by those with sore throats.

used as tinder and to carry fire as it would smoulder all day.
tasadam
Magnus administratio
Magnus administratio

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: TasmaniART, Smitten Merino, Macpac

Postby tasadam » Mon 29 Oct, 2007 1:11 pm

I found another link that has some info on bush tucker
http://www.leatherwoodonline.com/tastes/2006/wild/
With a warning –
Firstly, while some plants are edible, not all native plants are edible. Some are known to be poisonous; some contain both edible and poisonous parts; others are at times poisonous but when ripe not poisonous. Allergic reactions are also possible for some people.
Scientific research into the edibility of native plants is negligible. Even among aboriginal people knowledge is far less than it once was, so: eat cautiously. Unless you are absolutely certain of the identification of a plant, don't eat it. Secondly, we are not the only animals that eat native plants. Native animals rely entirely on bush tucker to live. Harvest lightly—and note that State and Federal regulations exist to protect rare and endangered flora from any form of human harvesting and some plants require you to have a permit to collect. Thirdly, be aware that plants in the wild can vary greatly in potency from season to season and even place to place.
tasadam
Magnus administratio
Magnus administratio

Re: Cyttaria gunnii - edible fungi on Myrtles

Postby Son of a Beach » Sat 15 Dec, 2007 4:21 pm

Right... finally mustered the courage and tasted one of these near Lake Tahune under Frenchmans Cap this week. I bit into one and chomped off about a third and chewed it up. Firstly, the surprise to me is that they are completely hollow and simply full of air. From the outward appearance I had just assumed they were spongy right through.

As for taste, it didn't taste of anything much at all. Very little flavour to speak of. Certainly not bad though. I suspect that frying it up in butter might bring out whatever flavour it had better. I might try this next time.

I was still a little cautious and did not actually swallow it (I've still got an instinctive fear of strange fungi). Maybe next time I'll try frying and swallowing. :-)
Son of a Beach
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Bit Map (NIXANZ)

Postby tasadam » Sat 15 Dec, 2007 5:41 pm

A pretty remote place to go biting into something like that...
Gutsy move!

At the risk of double-posting (or double linking...)
tasadam
Magnus administratio
Magnus administratio

Postby photohiker » Fri 25 Nov, 2011 9:45 pm

Holy thread resurrection! :)

Didn't know what I was looking at when I first saw these:

Didn't eat em :D
Michael
photohiker