Storing opened backcountry mince/vegies

Food topics, including recipes.

Storing opened backcountry mince/vegies

Postby wildwanderer » Sun 18 Apr, 2021 7:05 am

While I don't like the BC meals, I've found their freeze dried mince and vegetable packs to be great when paired with other ingredients.

Often I'm left with half a pack of mince etc after preparing my trip food.

How to store it and how long will it last..

I've read some freeze theirs.. (but does that affect the freeze dried process??)

Others squeeze as much of the air out as possible then put it in a zip loc in the cupboard.

But how long will it last and still be edible?

Would you use it for a 5 day trip after being stored opened for 3 months.... These questions keep me up at night..
wildwanderer
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: New South Wales

Re: Storing opened backcountry mince/vegies

Postby stry » Sun 18 Apr, 2021 8:14 am

I don't have part packets :).

All the BC that have used has been loose in the factory sealed packet, so there is air in there from the factory.

A ziplock with surplus air squished out should be fine, although I have found that ziplocks may not be 100% airtight, so after squishing and zipping, I will, if I can, roll the top and put a rubber band or two around the whole lot. Depending on the texture of the contents, zipping can be done after rolling/folding.

Three months is insignificant in storage times. I have had unused scroggin in ziplocks for far too long and it still eats fine, even if the taste isn't 100%.
stry
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Victoria

Postby north-north-west » Sun 18 Apr, 2021 9:13 am

Haven 't done it with BC (because I don't use BC since discovering Strive), but I've kept open packets of dehy mince and various vegies for months before finishing them off. Sometimes as long as a year. As long as they're kept dry they should be OK.
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Social Misfits Anonymous
Region: Tasmania

Postby CBee » Sun 18 Apr, 2021 9:34 am

I used a portion of a BC dessert off a double portion packet that was almost 1 year old and opened. To me it was not edible. I suspect it somehow absorbed some moisture from the air even if I kept the bag sealed.
I would be interested to find out if those pouches are available to purchase as they are handy. Strive food is way better tasting food but BC has the advantage of being prepared in its own bag without the use of pots.
CBee
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Region: Queensland

Postby ribuck » Thu 22 Apr, 2021 6:56 am

CBee wrote:Strive food is way better tasting food but BC has the advantage of being prepared in its own bag without the use of pots.

Just save one of your BackCountry pouches, wash it out, and use it for rehydrating your Strive meals.
ribuck
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Other Country

Postby CBee » Thu 22 Apr, 2021 10:06 am

ribuck wrote:
CBee wrote:Strive food is way better tasting food but BC has the advantage of being prepared in its own bag without the use of pots.

Just save one of your BackCountry pouches, wash it out, and use it for rehydrating your Strive meals.

And that is exactly what we are doing, with the exception of meals that requires full cooking such risotto.
CBee

Region: Queensland

Return to Bush Tucker