Electrolytes

Food topics, including recipes.

Re: Electrolytes

Postby matagi » Sat 22 Dec, 2012 8:07 pm

Pteropus wrote:Hydralyte works really well. I keep several sachets in my first aid kit and have used them on a few occasions.

Yes it does. Hydralyte is an oral rehydration solution formulated with the correct balance of electrolytes. The concentration of glucose in the solution is designed to activate the sodium-glucose co-transport system in the gut and promote absorption of sodium.

It is my electrolyte solution of choice after long distance cycling in hot weather.
This makes me the first man to climb Mount Everest backwards, without oxygen...or even a jumper.
matagi
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Region: Tasmania

Postby andrewbish » Thu 16 May, 2013 4:23 pm

Article this week at Outside Online on avoiding muscle cramps highlights the importance of carbs, rest and biomechanics, rather than electrolytes.
Twitter: @andrewbishxplor Blog: Trails & tracks
andrewbish

Region: Victoria

Postby ben.h » Sat 18 May, 2013 10:26 pm

+1 Endura due to the higher Magnesium content than other electrolyte powders (TorQ is comparable). For high exertion activity, replacing potassium, sodium and magnesium as well as ingesting additional calories and water _during_ that activity helps one avoid hyponatremia, muscle cramps and exhaustion (aka bonking or hitting the wall: where your body moves from burning glycogen stores to burning fat [which for those who know, it slow, lethargic and painful]).

Having said that, I'm an enduro, XC, and adventure mountain bike racer and generally only use electrolytes in longer events (2.5hrs+). For longer road or mtb rides (2hrs+), high calorie and easily digestible food is enough for me (bananas contain potassium and fast calories, muesli bars, peanut butter or jam sandwich, anzacs, choc chip biscuits, etc).

I used S! Caps in a 24 hour (team) enduro once and they seemed to stave off cramping (although, I was drinking gatorade powder mix and eating biscuits too so ymmv).

I've not used electrolytes or mineral replacements for bushwalking before but I can imagine high exertion or very hot temperature hiking would require something along these lines.

NOTE: Muscle cramping is a not well understood phenomenon and what works for one person doesn't necessarily work for another. I know more about the various hypotheses about what is needed and why for treating and preventing cramps having suffered for a long time. Magnesium seems to work for me.

Post activity nutrition is another subject I guess (hitting the glycogen window, etc.) but that's beyond the scope (or interest!) of this thread :)
ben.h
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby walk2wineries » Fri 18 Apr, 2014 4:26 pm

I have to ask - I came across this as I was searching for something else.
http://www.vetnpetdirect.com.au/LECTSACH
Looks perfect & would be a fraction of the cost of hydralyte etc .... comments? Any vets on the forum - okay for humans?
walk2wineries
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: South Australia

Previous

Return to Bush Tucker