Sassafras Tea

Food topics, including recipes.

Sassafras Tea

Postby waif » Fri 24 Oct, 2014 7:40 pm

Black heart sassafras commonly found in Tassie has leaves that smell great when crushed.

I have used them to make tea in the past and find it brilliant and refreshing. I originally heard through word of mouth that it was safe to drink (and apparently is meant to give you vivid dreams - but none that I can recall) , however a bit of google searching does not really give much evidence to it being either popular or known to be safe. I was wondering if anybody else has some knowledge or experience?

Cheers
waif
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: Tasmania

Re: Sassafras Tea

Postby Mark F » Fri 24 Oct, 2014 8:10 pm

It has a long history with bush workers and sassafras was also used to brew a beer - I assume in place of hops. As to its toxicology - no idea, but obviously not instantly fatal.
"Perfection is attained not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing more to remove".
Mark F
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Australian Capital Territory

Postby icefest » Fri 24 Oct, 2014 8:28 pm

Australian sassafras is different to american/European sassafras.

Northern hemisphere Sassafras was used to make Sarsaparilla and beer. The FDA banned it as it caused liver damage, sometimes leading to cancer.

I can't find any journal articles referencing the toxicology of Atherosperma moschatum, except some that have found a novel alkaloid in the bark.
I assume it's not immediately poisonous but might have toxic effects in high doses or over longer time frames.
Men wanted for hazardous journey. Low wages, bitter cold, long hours of complete darkness. Safe return doubtful.
icefest
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Victoria

Postby MickyB » Fri 24 Oct, 2014 8:43 pm

Some native plant nurseries have 'edible plant sections'. Perhaps they might have the info you are looking for.
Sometimes, I use big words I don't always fully understand in an effort to make myself sound more photosynthesis.
MickyB
Auctorita modica
Auctorita modica

Region: Victoria

Postby waif » Sat 25 Oct, 2014 10:06 am

Thanks guys,

Regarding Australian sassafras (atherosperma) for beer, I gave it a search and have actually found some home brewing recipes using it (mainly the bark) and ginger as a base. Intriguing, may have to give it a shot!
waif
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: Tasmania

Return to Bush Tucker