Desktop version
Food topics, including recipes.
Post a reply

Sassafras Tea

Fri 24 Oct, 2014 7:40 pm

Black heart sassafras commonly found in Tassie has leaves that smell great when crushed.

I have used them to make tea in the past and find it brilliant and refreshing. I originally heard through word of mouth that it was safe to drink (and apparently is meant to give you vivid dreams - but none that I can recall) , however a bit of google searching does not really give much evidence to it being either popular or known to be safe. I was wondering if anybody else has some knowledge or experience?

Cheers

Re: Sassafras Tea

Fri 24 Oct, 2014 8:10 pm

It has a long history with bush workers and sassafras was also used to brew a beer - I assume in place of hops. As to its toxicology - no idea, but obviously not instantly fatal.

Fri 24 Oct, 2014 8:28 pm

Australian sassafras is different to american/European sassafras.

Northern hemisphere Sassafras was used to make Sarsaparilla and beer. The FDA banned it as it caused liver damage, sometimes leading to cancer.

I can't find any journal articles referencing the toxicology of Atherosperma moschatum, except some that have found a novel alkaloid in the bark.
I assume it's not immediately poisonous but might have toxic effects in high doses or over longer time frames.

Fri 24 Oct, 2014 8:43 pm

Some native plant nurseries have 'edible plant sections'. Perhaps they might have the info you are looking for.

Sat 25 Oct, 2014 10:06 am

Thanks guys,

Regarding Australian sassafras (atherosperma) for beer, I gave it a search and have actually found some home brewing recipes using it (mainly the bark) and ginger as a base. Intriguing, may have to give it a shot!
Post a reply