Apple Crumble

Food topics, including recipes.

Apple Crumble

Postby Son of a Beach » Mon 15 Aug, 2016 7:56 am

I was inspired by the recipe in the current edition of the Bushwalk Australia magazine for 'Camp Apple Crumble'. But I thought that I could improve on it.

I really enjoy having quality food when out bush, but I do try to make it easy to prepare, so that there is less greasy washing up, and less mucking about with limited cooking equipment when out bush. Therefore, I will sometimes do extra preparation work at home to make it easier to do the final preparations for the meal out bush.

With this in mind, when I read through the apple crumble recipe from Sonya Muhlsimmer's "Feel Good Meals" section in the magazine, and I realised the 'crumble' part of her apple crumble uses almost the exact same list of ingredients as the Anzac Biscuits that I'd made with my kids a few days earlier. Combining this thought with my desire to make camp that is quality, tasty and easy, I came up with the following modification:

Use crushed up Anzac Biscuits for the crumble. Soooooooo easy! Crush them up before you leave home, and then when out bush, just sprinkle the crumbs/chunks over your stewed apple.

Important: Make sure the bikkies are baked to be crunchy, not chewy, if you really want a crunchy crumble. Also, make sure they are thoroughly cooled and dry before crushing and packaging them.

I tried it out (at home) on Saturday, and it was perfect! My kids loved it too. If it tastes great at home, then it's going to taste even better when out bush, in my experience.

I used a mortar and pestle to crush the bikkies, but I reckon that putting them into a plastic bag and bashing them with a rolling pin would work just as well. Or even just breaking them up with your fingers.

I crushed them up to fairly small crumbs, but some people may prefer them a little more chunky - it's up to you.

This variation to the recipe means that there is only one pot to wash up when out bush, and there is no grease in it. It also means that it is trivially simple to prepare when out bush. Just simmer the dried apple in a little water for a few minutes, and then sprinkle the crumble over the top. Press the apple down into a smaller mug/cup if your pot is too big, before sprinkling the crumble over it.

DELICIOUS!
Last edited by Son of a Beach on Mon 15 Aug, 2016 8:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
Son of a Beach
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Bit Map (NIXANZ)
Region: Tasmania

Re: Apple Crumble

Postby Son of a Beach » Mon 15 Aug, 2016 7:57 am

Ingedients.JPG
Ingedients.JPG (165.88 KiB) Viewed 33321 times

Complete.JPG
Complete.JPG (162.32 KiB) Viewed 33321 times

Yum.JPG
Yum.JPG (164.64 KiB) Viewed 33321 times
Son of a Beach
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby neilmny » Mon 15 Aug, 2016 8:29 am

Yum all right...........or peach crumble or pear crumble......... 8)
neilmny
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Victoria

Postby Son of a Beach » Wed 18 Sep, 2019 9:54 am

Well, my daughter cooked this Bushwalker's Apple Crumble at her scout troop's master chef night last night, and it won "Dish of the Day"! :-)

She used crushed Gingernut Snaps instead of Anzacs which adds a very strong ginger flavour to the crumble which is fantastic. She even took UHT cream to make sure it was an authentic bushwalker's version of the meal.
Son of a Beach
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby rustyjus » Thu 19 Sep, 2019 2:51 pm

Brilliant... I'm going to do this one next trip . Thankyou
rustyjus
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: New South Wales

Postby hungryhiker » Thu 09 Jan, 2020 9:37 pm

neilmny wrote:Yum all right...........or peach crumble or pear crumble......... 8)

Apple and strawberry crumble is also really really good.

I bake it tossed in cinnamon sugar and then dehydrate it and add to custard and crumble at camp.
Attachments
429C41A8-7327-467B-98CC-EDE99C4E4006_1_105_c.jpeg
hungryhiker
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: Australia

Postby hungryhiker » Thu 09 Jan, 2020 9:38 pm

Son of a Beach wrote:Well, my daughter cooked this Bushwalker's Apple Crumble at her scout troop's master chef night last night, and it won "Dish of the Day"! :-)

She used crushed Gingernut Snaps instead of Anzacs which adds a very strong ginger flavour to the crumble which is fantastic. She even took UHT cream to make sure it was an authentic bushwalker's version of the meal.

I'm going to try gingernut snaps with mine!!!!

Thanks for the idea.
hungryhiker
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby Aardvark » Fri 10 Jan, 2020 2:43 am

I make a deconstructed fruit ( apple, apple mango, apple rhubarb, apple kiwi fruit or apple anything) crumble with custard for children at a centre i work for. It's versatile and simple and easy to travel when hiking.
The crumble is equal quantities of plain flour, sugar, corn flakes, oats, cocoanut, and All Bran (you can use many different substitutes). Blended in a food processor with a little butter or marg. Toasted under the griller.
The fruit is just apple and whatever is ripe (as above), stewed with sugar and water. I use the same mixes to dehydrate for rollups which i make by the hundreds ( almost a hundred a day for the last 8 yrs now and i can't keep up with demand).
When serving, it's just a spoon of stewed fruit, one of crumble, and one of custard.
Ever on the search for a one ended stick.
Aardvark
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Queensland

Postby Son of a Beach » Fri 10 Jan, 2020 8:03 am

hungryhiker wrote:
Son of a Beach wrote:Well, my daughter cooked this Bushwalker's Apple Crumble at her scout troop's master chef night last night, and it won "Dish of the Day"! :-)

Thanks for the idea.

No worries. It may be worth doing half gingernuts and half anzacs (or other biscuits), if you don't want the ginger flavour to be very strong. It could be a bit overpowering for some people.
Son of a Beach
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby hungryhiker » Sun 12 Jan, 2020 8:49 pm

Son of a Beach wrote:
hungryhiker wrote:

Thanks for the idea.

No worries. It may be worth doing half gingernuts and half anzacs (or other biscuits), if you don't want the ginger flavour to be very strong. It could be a bit overpowering for some people.

I love ginger but will probably mix with anzacs as it would be more like real crumble maybe. Fingers crossed it turns out delicious!
hungryhiker
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Return to Bush Tucker