Christmas Dinner

Food topics, including recipes.

Christmas Dinner

Postby Jaxter » Thu 20 Dec, 2007 12:09 pm

I'm doing the South Coast Track next week and have been dehydrating like mad to get food weight down. I just thought I'd share what our Christmas dinner will be:

Dehydrated separately (will be rehydrated and heated together on the day):
Turkey mince, peas & carrots, basmati & wild rice, onion, pinenuts, cranberries, bullion cube, sage
Plus a side dish of sweet potato - currently dehydrated as small chunks, I may mash with a bit of brown sugar & cinamon (yes I'm a yank!)
Dessert: fruit cake and Contreau (not dehydrated!)

We'll probably be crossing the Ironbounds on Christmas day, so dinner will really be something to look forward to!
Jaxter
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Re: Christmas Dinner

Postby Jaxter » Fri 04 Jan, 2008 10:23 am

Well, we're back from the SCT - what a fantastic trip, despite 5 days of rain! The Peripatetic Pancake boys were in residence at Cox Bight. Freshly made pancake and real coffee was absolute bliss after 7 days on the track!

Our dehydrating worked a treat and we managed to keep food weights down to 700g/person/day, returning with about 1.5 days of extra food. The Christmas dinner menu was a winner, despite having to eat it in the tent due to the daily downpour. Other memorable meals were chili con carne and hungarian goulash. The goulash suffered the only dehydrating casualty - we must not have dried the potato cubes enough because they went mouldy. Fortunately I packed each dehydrated ingredient in separate bags, so dinner wasn't a loss - we just substituted a bit of rice from another meal packet. A good thing to keep in mind if you're a novice dehydrator like me!
Jaxter
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Return to Bush Tucker