Pot size for two people

Food topics, including recipes.

Pot size for two people

Postby wildwanderer » Sat 13 Apr, 2019 3:21 pm

Perhaps showing my preference for solitude in the bush.. but I rarely cook in the outdoors for two. Usually when travelling with others they do their own cooking.

So if I need to don the chefs hat do I use a 750ml pot or 900ml for two people? Im thinking 900ml? Larger?

I don t cook anything to fancy however Im frequently adding in lots of different dehyd ingrediants and giving them a stir under heat.

I currently use a 500ml pot for solo use and its usually filled almost to the brim when im reheating dehydrated meals.
wildwanderer
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: New South Wales

Re: Pot size for two people

Postby Orion » Sun 14 Apr, 2019 12:01 am

This is something you figure out on your own based on what you like to cook and how you do it.

For what it's worth I use a 2 quart / 1.9 liter pot. I can get away with a 1.3L pot but it makes it harder at times. Same with solo - I tried to use a 0.7L pot but ultimately found that I was happier with a 1.3L pot. For just heating water the smaller sizes are fine but I almost always put food in the pot.
Orion
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Other Country

Postby ChrisJHC » Sun 14 Apr, 2019 10:50 am

I use a small Trangia pan when cooking for two - 1.5 L.
ChrisJHC
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Region: Victoria

Postby Moondog55 » Sun 14 Apr, 2019 2:19 pm

Bigger is better usually I use 1100 to 1300ml solo simply because I find it easier and for two I go up a size
I still use an old 3 litre billy sometimes. I tend towards soupy style meals tho with a lot of liquid
Ve are too soon old und too late schmart
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Gadgetgeek » Sun 14 Apr, 2019 2:25 pm

My solo pots are 900ml and 1L, but I tend to try to one-pot stuff. if I was cooking for 2, 1.5 would probably work. Also depends on how much stirring or boiling space you need. I find that the stove/pot combo almost matters more than a few ml difference in size.
Again though, what you are cooking matters. For example, I'll cook rice with too much water, then add the freezedry veggies and meat to absorb the excess. That needs more room than just rehydrating some veggies and Deb, or even steaming some fresh veg. Also I'm a clumsy muppet, some people can cook in 700 ml what takes me 900.
Gadgetgeek
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Queensland

Postby wildwanderer » Sun 14 Apr, 2019 4:46 pm

Interesting. thanks for insights everyone.

Ive just bought a 1L pot off Lamont so I will see how that goes. Seeing as everyone is using 1.3L and above Im glad i didnt go with 750ml!

I find 500ml comfortable solo and the 2 person trips will be less strenuous (and thus requiring less calories) so Im hoping 1L will work out.
wildwanderer
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Moondog55 » Thu 02 May, 2019 8:10 am

Just a late thought here. You don't pay much of a weight penalty when going to a bigger pot and a bigger pot has room inside it to pack stuff so the bulk issue isn't as bad as it might seem at first glance.
I am sorting stuff out for winter so I may get a chance to weigh all of my pots and see just how much extra weight I'll be carrying to use my big Aluminium pot compared to my more usual Titanium pot
Ve are too soon old und too late schmart
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby north-north-west » Thu 02 May, 2019 8:54 am

A pot big enough for two people is too big to carry. Besides, you'd never be able to eat them both at one sitting and, unless you're up in the snow, they'd go off pretty quickly.
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Social Misfits Anonymous
Region: Tasmania

Postby Son of a Beach » Thu 02 May, 2019 11:07 am

north-north-west wrote:A pot big enough for two people is too big to carry. Besides, you'd never be able to eat them both at one sitting and, unless you're up in the snow, they'd go off pretty quickly.

I have seen a cooking pot big enough for at least two people in a museum in Lagos, Nigeria. I agree that it would have been too big to carry. Mind you it was ceramic. A modern titanium version might work, so long as it's an open track with no scrub or forest to walk through.

But back to the other interpretation...

A bigger pot will actually boil a small amount of water faster than a smaller pot in some cases. Ie, if the bigger pot is wider, it will transfer heat from the stove into the water much more efficiently than a pot with a narrow base. Not much heat enters the pot from the sides, it's mostly from the base. I sometimes carry two pots (for cooking meals with a main and a side), and if I'm simply boiling water for a single cup of tea, I will use the bigger pot as it boils faster. If I'm carrying only one pot, I will usually take just the bigger pot because it doesn't weigh much more, and I can store the gas canister inside the pot, which makes for better packing anyhow.
Son of a Beach
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Bit Map (NIXANZ)

Postby Orbita_Serenitatem » Thu 02 May, 2019 10:20 pm

Hi Wildwanderer - like you, I rarely cook in the outdoors for two - however from my experience I feel the answer would be to ask where you are cooking, what you are cooking and on what stove are you're cooking it? Like Orion said "This is something you figure out on your own based on what you like to cook and how you do it."

Moondog is right with packing a bigger pot for two (with a larger base), but if you have a small stove head... you will have a concentrated heat spot, limited simmer and crusty buildup unless stirred. Son of a Beach is right in that a larger wider pot will boil water quicker, but boiling water isn't cooking.

Adding a few personalised ingredients to a prepacked dehydrated meal is a great way to enhance the flavour - and stirring the pot gives you a connection to the meal. (Personally I've had it with packet dehydrated things in zip lock bags... buy or lend a dehydrator and dry your own if you can).

For cooking homemade dehydrated meals for two on a 2 -3 day hike I use a 1300ml Toaks on a Fire Maple 117t. The 1300ml offers lots of pot base and the 117t a good flame control for simmering. Don't forget to insulate and rest your cook pot after heating etc. - swollen food makes a bigger meal!

This September I'm taking my wife to the Walls of Jerusalem for a three night stay - I'll probably take all our pots and spend days dehydrating all the nicest food for the stay for there is nothing better than good tucker - for two - on the trail!
Orbita_Serenitatem
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Ms_Mudd » Tue 05 May, 2020 6:26 pm

Interesting read, am rethinking my solo pot size. Not the thread topic exactly, but close ;-) I use a 450ml titanium pot which typically is my mug, bowl etc. A 100g canister nests inside it, but I can't buy them anywhere locally so more typically use a 230g canister.
I have a 1.9lt alpha pot which I like for when I am with the kids and it fits everything inside it, stove, lightweight mug, canister etc.

Thinking a pot in between these two sizes might actually work better on my own - although heavier will be smaller (Makes me think of the other thread about compactness vs. lightness) to have it all packed together.

Looks like a Toaks 900ml will fit larger canister, but that is about it. Who else uses a larger 230g canister? What size/type of pot can you nest canister and stove in neatly?

Edited to add, found a good source of info on BPL that has given me many options. Oh dear, down the rabbit hole of comparing various pot sizes now :lol:
Ms_Mudd
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Mark F » Tue 05 May, 2020 11:13 pm

It depends to some extent on how and what you want to cook. For 1 person I would suggest 600-900ml and for two around 900-1300ml.

For a fairly standard diet of one pot meals, drinks and water boiling my solo choice is a modified 900ml Evernew Ti pot (89g with lid, cosy and stuff sack, fits 230g canister and stove) but this will also cover me for trips with my partner who is a relatively small eater. I am currently playing with a 570ml Evernew mug (79g with lid, cosy and stuff sac, fits 230g canister but the canister is too tall) so very little weight loss for considerably less volume. A couple of other options I have are a 400ml Evernew mug and a 550ml Ti mug (50g) from with lid from Ti Goat (71g). Both fit a 100g canister.

On slackish trips I find it better to have a second cooking vessel rather than a large single one. It is nice to be able to make soup or cowboy coffee without having to wash up beforehand. For this the 400ml mug is good.

For canisters I use 100g canisters for up to 3 days and 230g for 8 days. This usage is a bit conservative but I like having a day of gas up my sleeve. I refill both sizes from 450g canisters I bought remarkably cheaply (about $4 each) when they were around about 18 months ago. I still have plenty if any Canberra based forum members are interested.

Edit. To squeeze in a stove, it often fits better if placed in the concave base of the canister.
"Perfection is attained not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing more to remove".
Mark F
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Australian Capital Territory

Postby north-north-west » Wed 06 May, 2020 8:10 am

I use the 1L pot that came with the Primus ETA stove. it's a bit battered but still the most convenient size for me. Lid is used as a bowl for breakfast, food eaten straight out of the pot.
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Social Misfits Anonymous

Postby Ms_Mudd » Wed 06 May, 2020 3:43 pm

Mark F wrote:Edit. To squeeze in a stove, it often fits better if placed in the concave base of the canister.

You would think this idea would be obvious as it makes total, utter sense...but I had never thought of that :oops:
Thanks Mark.

Bingo NNW- they are great priced pots!

This is how I run at the moment,550ml ti mug with coffee mug and stove inside. The lid doesn't quite fit on my pot with this stuff inside, but can be held on using the padded stuff sack it came with. The pot is not really quite big enough to rehydrate meals without overflow and it is always two seperate boils to get enough water for a cuppa. Then I have the thumping great big 230g canister which is just as big again.

I reckon a larger standalone pot, or something like what you suggest NNW would be a much neater and compact solution.
Now if only I gave as much consideration to the state of kitchen cupboards....
Attachments
20200506_105529.jpg
20200506_105529.jpg (66.65 KiB) Viewed 46697 times
Ms_Mudd
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Lamont » Sat 09 May, 2020 3:45 pm

Ms_Mudd wrote:Interesting read, am rethinking my solo pot size. Not the thread topic exactly, but close ;-) I use a 450ml titanium pot which typically is my mug, bowl etc. A 100g canister nests inside it, but I can't buy them anywhere locally so more typically use a 230g canister.
I have a 1.9lt alpha pot which I like for when I am with the kids and it fits everything inside it, stove, lightweight mug, canister etc.

Thinking a pot in between these two sizes might actually work better on my own - although heavier will be smaller (Makes me think of the other thread about compactness vs. lightness) to have it all packed together.

Looks like a Toaks 900ml will fit larger canister, but that is about it. Who else uses a larger 230g canister? What size/type of pot can you nest canister and stove in neatly?

Edited to add, found a good source of info on BPL that has given me many options. Oh dear, down the rabbit hole of comparing various pot sizes now :lol:

An Evernew 570 will nest three quarters of a 230 gm canister.
I use the 100 gm can for most stuff and the Evernew 450 cup covers that-stove sits in the food bag-if I stop I will need a tea bag and they are safest in the confines of my food bag. Tin foil for a lid?
Last edited by Lamont on Sat 09 May, 2020 3:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lamont
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: https://www.againstmalaria.com/

Postby Lamont » Sat 09 May, 2020 3:48 pm

G'day Mark, which is the 450gm butane cartridge?
I'd happily buy a couple -but I'm down Mexico way.
Lamont
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Mark F » Sat 09 May, 2020 4:09 pm

https://www.gasmate.com.au/camping-leisure/camping-fuel/butane-range-fuel/450g-iso-butane-cartridge An associated company Outdoors Domain were selling them for $100 for 24 some time ago with free delivery. They still have 24 @ 230g canister for $90.

75% iso-butane 25% propane seems to me about the best cold weather gas mix unless you can find something with more propane - max 30%, but the odd one I have seen with 30% propane usually has some or all of the remainder as n-butane. I suspect this is to avoid the internal pressure limits of the canisters. I prefer iso-butane to n-butane as it means better performance as the canister empties.
"Perfection is attained not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing more to remove".
Mark F
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Lamont » Sat 09 May, 2020 4:45 pm

Thanks for that Mark.
Yes, I remember them being posted here. Thought them too many for my needs then.
I have the wee device (from Korea) for moving gas from the tall canister (needle) to the small canister in to the wee hole at the top.
The adapter needle, (late edit) but what would you use from screw fixing to screw fixing situation?
Is there something safe and cheap to do the job.
24 of those is still beyond me (or is it?!), but interestingly they will sell individual cans at that price also over the counter.
Ta.
Lamont
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Mark F » Sat 09 May, 2020 5:53 pm

Lamont wrote:Thanks for that Mark.
Yes, I remember them being posted here. Thought them too many for my needs then.
I have the wee device (from Korea) for moving gas from the tall canister (needle) to the small canister in to the wee hole at the top.
The adapter needle, (late edit) but what would you use from screw fixing to screw fixing situation?
Is there something safe and cheap to do the job.
24 of those is still beyond me (or is it?!), but interestingly they will sell individual cans at that price also over the counter.
Ta.

It sounds like you have a butane refiller that uses the hairspray type butane cartridges. The process is the similar and safety is only a good as the care taken by the operator.

I have a G-Works Gas Saver which is just a piece of aluminium with female gas canister threads at either end and a valve in between. https://andrewskurka.com/nifty-refill-transfer-stove-fuel-backpacking-canisters-g-works-gas-saver/. There are various cheaper versions on aliexpress etc.

Put the receiving canister in the freezer for 10 minutes or so. Make sure the value on the device is closed and then screw the donor and receiver canisters into either end with the donor canister on top.
If the the donor canister is fairly full tilt the canisters 45 degrees and open the valve. This stops overfilling of the receiving canister and maintains the necessary void to allow for expansion.

Validate the fill weight on a set of scales. If overfilled by >5% then decant a little in the opposite direction. It is important to maintain a sufficient air pocket in the canister.
Mark F
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Lamont » Sun 10 May, 2020 6:11 am

That's great Mark. Ta for that.
Lamont
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Ms_Mudd » Sun 10 May, 2020 9:39 am

https://www.amazon.com.au/gp/product/B0 ... F8&psc=1''

Had a browse-fest during my tea break overnight. I found this and it seems comparable to the more expensive brands of similar dimensions. It is 0.4mm thick though, I think some of the lighter pots are 0.3mm- but really not much between the two thicknesses. I think it should fit a 230g canister and my stove (with can concave cleverly utilised :wink: ) and be a reasonable size to boil water to rehydrate and caffeinate at the very same time?

I could try a fozzil cup so I can have a separate but neatly packing dedicated coffee cup. I don't think I much fancy an XMug which would be the other option. I think I am far too uncoordinated to be in charge of a hot beverage in something that collapses by design.
Ms_Mudd
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Lamont » Sun 10 May, 2020 10:19 am

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=skSrdVMjpko
The Wildo is much loved in the UK. Will hold liquid etc. Very stable apparently with hot drinks etc . No issue from what users have said.
A couple of sizes on ebay and ULOGUK too if it tickles your fancy to have a separate cup.
27 gms for the small cup and 48 for the large.
Lamont
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Ms_Mudd » Sun 10 May, 2020 5:05 pm

That is a cup I could live with,Lamont. Much easier than snapping anything together.

Edited to add, I bought the large. Should be here tomorrow I hope. I got lime green, would have preferred olive green or black so I couldn't see any accumulated 'scunge' on a trip, but nevermind.

I was running the single pot set up most of last year, but got a bit tired of having to boil twice for cooking and beverages and sometimes liked to get really wild and wanted both at the same time.
Ms_Mudd
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Lamont » Tue 19 May, 2020 10:54 am

Ms_Mudd wrote:That is a cup I could live with,Lamont. Much easier than snapping anything together.

Edited to add, I bought the large. Should be here tomorrow I hope. I got lime green, would have preferred olive green or black so I couldn't see any accumulated 'scunge' on a trip, but nevermind.

I was running the single pot set up most of last year, but got a bit tired of having to boil twice for cooking and beverages and sometimes liked to get really wild and wanted both at the same time.

How's it looking? Used it yet?
That big one looks pretty huge.
Lamont
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby ChrisJHC » Tue 19 May, 2020 6:26 pm

My set up is to use a titanium mug over a metho stove (tuna can).
The mug fits around my drink bottle (1L) in the side pocket of my pack.

If I’m cooking for two, I just take 2 mugs and 2 metho stoves.
ChrisJHC

Postby Kott » Sat 23 May, 2020 8:15 pm

for one person I've always had 1.1L but recently got myself 900ml Solo stove https://www.solostove.com/solo-stove-pot-900-1/
funnily enough, I like that its narrower than my old one so I could nest 230ml can in it but I think I'd prefer slightly wider bigger pot...that's because I like to eat proper food.

for 2 people I'd I'm for 1.3 or bigger. I do think that the MSR pot combo of 1.3L and 2.something seems spot on.

I'm starting to think that we've potentially gone a bit over the top with weight savings etc and the oldschool items at least functionally speaking were spot on
Kott
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby Ms_Mudd » Tue 26 May, 2020 2:23 am

That big one looks pretty huge.[/quote]

It's colossal!
It is more rigid/sturdy than I thought.
Having said That, a slight bit of flex on handle tab when fully filled- but at practically half a litre, it wouldn't be filled much. The smaller size would just be too small though- I want my hot bevvies to be greater than 240ml.
It goes close enough to nesting in 1100ml pot with stove and gas canister for me to be happy.
Attachments
20200518_141803.jpg
Ms_Mudd
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Lamont » Fri 05 Jun, 2020 1:47 pm

Ms_Mudd wrote:It's colossal!
It is more rigid/sturdy than I thought.
Having said That, a slight bit of flex on handle tab when fully filled- but at practically half a litre, it wouldn't be filled much. The smaller size would just be too small though- I want my hot bevvies to be greater than 240ml.
It goes close enough to nesting in 1100ml pot with stove and gas canister for me to be happy.

Will the gas can not fit in the wildo then go inside the pot?
Lamont
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Ms_Mudd » Sat 06 Jun, 2020 10:43 am

Lamont wrote:
Will the gas can not fit in the wildo then go inside the pot?

No sadly, by the smallest of margins. One side if the Wildo is nearly a straight edge which squares the whole shebang off.
Used the above combo this week. Not overly sold on the set up as it is. My 550ml pot is too small, the 1100ml not quite right and the 1.7lt too big. Said goldilocks.
Ms_Mudd
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Warin » Sat 06 Jun, 2020 1:24 pm

Ms_Mudd wrote:
Lamont wrote:Will the gas can not fit in the wildo then go inside the pot?

My 550ml pot is too small, the 1100ml not quite right and the 1.7lt too big. Said goldilocks.

I have a very nice pot with a latching lid.... not tall enough to house a gas canister so I put tea etc in there. Unfortunately it is stainless steel so a bit heavy. Just like the 'perfect' anything ... I don't think it exists unless you make it yourself. Sadly my ti skills don't allow me to make anything in it. :(
Warin
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Next

Return to Bush Tucker