Best Tuna Recommendations Please

Food topics, including recipes.

Best Tuna Recommendations Please

Postby commando » Sat 25 Jul, 2020 6:47 pm

Whilst its not normal to carry tins of food when backpacking, a tin of tuna on a day walk
just seems to hit the spot.

So what's your favourite brand, flavour, and why?
commando
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Other Country

Re: Best Tuna Recommendations Please

Postby Heremeahappy1 » Sat 25 Jul, 2020 7:01 pm

Buy Australian. Have the gumption to change your consumer habits to support Australian industry, for me this has meant changing to salmon as it's Australian and farmed, hard to find Oz tuna.
A few extra 100 grams might not be UL however as many outdoor pursuits require disposable income, if our Australian industries continue to be decimated our grand children may not have sufficient employment and $ to afford an outdoor lifestyle.
Heremeahappy1
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Victoria

Postby CBee » Sat 25 Jul, 2020 7:54 pm

I was told, but it could be not 100% accurate, that the vast majority of salmon farm employees are overseas travellers on working holidays. As well as fruit pickers. And also I suspect the very best of the best of aussie products go to China and Japan for top dollars. Seems to me, creating an economic bubble is harder than one may think...
CBee
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Region: Queensland

Postby crollsurf » Sat 25 Jul, 2020 9:29 pm

Not a Tuna fan but have been known to carry canned Kippers. The can is very light. Even smoked Mussels but I warn you that's an acquired taste from childhood

Don't get canned fish in Brine. If it's in Oil, that's energy you can eat.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk
crollsurf
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: New South Wales

Postby Lamont » Sun 26 Jul, 2020 10:20 am

crollsurf wrote:Not a Tuna fan but have been known to carry canned Kippers. The can is very light.

Are they the long ones in the brown wrapper Crolly? Can't remember the brand.
I eat them at home and yep the tin is very light, and they are delicious on bread, but carrying the empty -what about the smell in your rucksack?
I carry Zapruda's recommendation to me-Salmon in the sachet (Big Dub) and crumble in the savoury shapes -you beauty.
No tins on any walk.

Crolly please tell me you have a batman prepare the kippers for you in the morning whilst you are wearing a smoking jacket.
If you also happen to be wearing a Fez as well you will make my day.
:D
Last edited by Lamont on Sun 26 Jul, 2020 10:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
Lamont
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: https://www.againstmalaria.com/

Postby Huntsman247 » Sun 26 Jul, 2020 10:24 am

Seafol does tuna packets which are pretty nice.
Otherwise Tasal does a smoked samon which is probably the best canned fish in my opinion hands down.
Huntsman247

Postby north-north-west » Sun 26 Jul, 2020 10:37 am

Huntsman247 wrote:Seafol does tuna packets which are pretty nice.

Do you mean Safcol? I like the one they do with black rice and sweet corn. makes a great protein hit during the day.

Otherwise Tassal does a smoked salmon which is probably the best canned fish in my opinion hands down.

Delicious, but the environmental cost is astronomical. They make a mess of everywhere they set up.
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Social Misfits Anonymous
Region: Tasmania

Postby Warin » Sun 26 Jul, 2020 10:40 am

Lamont wrote:
crollsurf wrote: but carrying the empty -what about the smell in your rucksack?

Empty sachets smell too. A can may be 'burnt' to remove the residue and thus the smell. Burning a sachet is much more difficult and messy.

And no I am not suggesting leaving the burnt things behind.
Warin
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Lamont » Sun 26 Jul, 2020 11:05 am

Warin wrote:
Lamont wrote:
crollsurf wrote: but carrying the empty -what about the smell in your rucksack?

Empty sachets smell too. A can may be 'burnt' to remove the residue and thus the smell. Burning a sachet is much more difficult and messy.

And no I am not suggesting leaving the burnt things behind.

You needed the whole quote- I referred to kippers cobber. Those kippers in that can smell. Pong in fact. Burning is out for me. I lick the pouch clean.
Lamont
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby crollsurf » Sun 26 Jul, 2020 11:23 am

Lamont wrote:
crollsurf wrote:Not a Tuna fan but have been known to carry canned Kippers. The can is very light.

I eat them at home and yep the tin is very light, and they are delicious on bread, but carrying the empty -what about the smell in your rucksack?
I carry Zapruda's recommendation to me-Salmon in the sachet (Big Dub) and crumble in the savoury shapes -you beauty.
No tins on any walk.

The size of the tin makes no difference because it fitted in your pack in the first place, so I wouldn't worry about that. All my rubbish goes in a ziplock bag in an attempt to stop animals raiding at night. I have a large ziplock for each days food, so by day 3, I have 2 ziplocks. Smelly stuff goes into a ziplock that then goes into the ziplock rubbish bag.

Brunswick (brown wrapping) or John West but I prefer the frozen plastic packaged ones at home.

Where is ones fashion sense Lamont. Tweed and a Flat Cap are the appropriate dress for Breakfast when rambling the highlands.
crollsurf
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Mark F » Sun 26 Jul, 2020 12:50 pm

I prefer tinned tuna to salmon. My favourite canned tuna is Sirena with chili in oil. Mix into deb for really quick comfort food. The weight of the small tin (30g) is not a major addition to the pack weight so I usually have a can on longer trips.

I use a similar system to crollsurf for rubbish. Just upending the tin on my stove very quickly gets rid of that film of oil, then a bash with a rock to flatten it.
"Perfection is attained not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing more to remove".
Mark F
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Australian Capital Territory

Postby Lamont » Sun 26 Jul, 2020 1:54 pm

crollsurf wrote:
Lamont wrote:

No tins on any walk.

The size of the tin makes no difference because it fitted in your pack in the first place, so I wouldn't worry about that. All my rubbish goes in a ziplock bag in an attempt to stop animals raiding at night. I have a large ziplock for each days food, so by day 3, I have 2 ziplocks. Smelly stuff goes into a ziplock that then goes into the ziplock rubbish bag.

Brunswick (brown wrapping) or John West but I prefer the frozen plastic packaged ones at home.

Where is ones fashion sense Lamont. Tweed and a Flat Cap are the appropriate dress for Breakfast when rambling the highlands.

Sounds good. Can you wash the ziplock clean after? Was just wondering about the size to identify if they were the ones I liked as well. They're alright.

Nice outfit.
So no batman?
Lamont
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Snooze » Sun 26 Jul, 2020 2:47 pm

Huntsman247 wrote:Seafol does tuna packets which are pretty nice.
Otherwise Tasal does a smoked samon which is probably the best canned fish in my opinion hands down.

I just searched this product because I sometimes take those little tins of John West smoked salmon with me (although I can't really taste "the smoke" tbh), so I'm curious to try an alternative. The Tassal one seems to be "roasted" salmon. Also seems to be three varieties (plain in springwater, lemon and sweet chili.) Which one is the good one?
Snooze
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby Warin » Sun 26 Jul, 2020 4:36 pm

Lamont wrote:You needed the whole quote- I referred to kippers cobber. Those kippers in that can smell. Pong in fact. Burning is out for me. I lick the pouch clean.

If you burnt kippers to charcoal I don't think they would smell.

The surface coating of the emptied can can be burnt ... volatilize usually leave with heat let alone burning so there should be no remaining smell.
Warin
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby MeanderingFlyFisher » Sun 26 Jul, 2020 5:18 pm

Lamont wrote:

And no I am not suggesting leaving the burnt things behind.[/quote]
You needed the whole quote- I referred to kippers cobber. Those kippers in that can smell. Pong in fact. Burning is out for me. I lick the pouch clean.[/quote]

Here's one for the fly fishing fanatics out there.Tom Gleisener said in A River Somewhere "Bushwalkers are a funny lot .They know it is wrong to leave rubbish behind but if you blacken it in the fire it is practically compost"
This always gives me a laugh whenever I come across a tin in the coals.
MeanderingFlyFisher
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Huntsman247 » Sun 26 Jul, 2020 7:39 pm

north-north-west wrote:Do you mean Safcol? I like the one they do with black rice and sweet corn. makes a great protein hit during the day.

Yup, that's the one. Couldn't remember exactly what it was. The Thai chilli is my fav.

north-north-west wrote:Delicious, but the environmental cost is astronomical. They make a mess of everywhere they set up.

Where talking about taste here... But I can't image any farming enterprise to be environmentally friendly...

Snooze wrote:I just searched this product because I sometimes take those little tins of John West smoked salmon with me (although I can't really taste "the smoke" tbh), so I'm curious to try an alternative. The Tassal one seems to be "roasted" salmon. Also seems to be three varieties (plain in springwater, lemon and sweet chili.) Which one is the good one?

Its smoked salmon but its marketed as roasted salmon on the tin. it says on the product description "Toasted Roasted Salmon is a rich and smoky flavour sensation, created using a cooking technique where the salmon is Roasted at high temperatures before being canned." The asian style sweet chilli is the bomb.
Huntsman247

Postby Eremophila » Tue 28 Jul, 2020 7:11 am

My favourite is the Safcol salmon pouch, the Mild Red Chilli version. Good on a wrap with some Laughing Cow.

The John West ready-to-eat tuna pouches with added rice, quinoa, etc are pretty good and less messy, ie. no liquid in the bottom of the pouch.
Eremophila

Postby commando » Tue 28 Jul, 2020 8:39 pm

At the moment this one is in the lead, but at $2.75 a can it's also the most expensive...
commando
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby matagi » Tue 28 Jul, 2020 9:53 pm

Sirena is a really good brand of tuna. We take a 185g for one of our dinners (2 ppl). I have been following this thread with interest hoping to find an alternative that tastes as good and does not come in a can.

The alternative I have come up with is hot smoked salmon, but that is far from cheap.
This makes me the first man to climb Mount Everest backwards, without oxygen...or even a jumper.
matagi

Region: Tasmania

Postby flingebunt » Sat 08 Aug, 2020 6:48 pm

I like little tins of pate over tuna for lunch. Chicken pate's are about 30% chicken plus about 70% whey solids or even cheese. The chilli ones are tasty. LIver pate is good for a multi-day hike as liver has a lot of nutrition. You can buy them in supermarkets and delis. Get the ones with the foil instead of a pull lid. The main thing I don't like about tins is that the lid's edges are sharp and can cut through your rubbish bag.

Now take a can of Foie Gras, gouda or a good aged cheddar, quince paste and highland oat crackers and you are really living.
flingebunt
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Warin » Sun 09 Aug, 2020 10:09 am

flingebunt wrote:The main thing I don't like about tins is that the lid's edges are sharp and can cut through your rubbish bag.

Put the lid in the tin, and then crush the tin sides inwards. No sharp edges.
Warin
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby flingebunt » Sun 09 Aug, 2020 1:59 pm

Warin wrote:
flingebunt wrote:The main thing I don't like about tins is that the lid's edges are sharp and can cut through your rubbish bag.

Put the lid in the tin, and then crush the tin sides inwards. No sharp edges.

Thanks dude, but you can avoid having to do that by buying the pates in tins with a foil covering instead of a lid, so that there is no problem.
flingebunt
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby mikeRsyd » Sun 16 Aug, 2020 9:24 pm

Tassel roasted salmon

Sent from my Mi 9 Lite using Tapatalk
mikeRsyd
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby commando » Thu 24 Sep, 2020 6:54 pm

Bought this one as an experiment from NQR for $1.20 a small can and was pleasantly surprised how good it is.
so smooth and easy to eat not a lot of chewing required and little odour, even people who don't like fish will like this one.
commando
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Miles Prower » Fri 09 Oct, 2020 4:38 pm

Hands down Sirena tuna (Italian oil variety)
Miles Prower
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Region: Australia

Postby lachmac » Wed 14 Oct, 2020 9:32 pm

Another vote for Sirena tuna chilli in oil.
Ignoring price the nicest canned fish I have found is the Danish smoked trout at Aldi
lachmac
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby Heremeahappy1 » Wed 14 Oct, 2020 10:19 pm

CBee wrote:I was told, but it could be not 100% accurate, that the vast majority of salmon farm employees are overseas travellers on working holidays. As well as fruit pickers. And also I suspect the very best of the best of aussie products go to China and Japan for top dollars. Seems to me, creating an economic bubble is harder than one may think...

Don't let it best you, everyone can do their bit.
Comments here are about convenience and value for money.
Buy local and there is an opportunity to encourage a local, domestic workforce, change consumer habits and move people into work historically done by working holiday makers. Choose to buy overseas, we will never have those jobs.
Crazy idea, you can 'can' your own local caught fish. May not be ultralight and is in glass instead of an easy foldable pouch or tin...
You choose whatever is more important to you.
Heremeahappy1
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby CraigVIC » Thu 15 Oct, 2020 12:04 pm

For those that like pouches the safcol range at woolies has been cut back to plain and tomato/onion. The removed varieties have been replaced by a home brand version in spicy mayo and buffalo flavours. The home brand version is more of a paste or sandwich tuna style, not my taste. As for the others, grab them if you see them as they are listed as discontinued...
CraigVIC

Postby Lamont » Thu 15 Oct, 2020 12:52 pm

I have looked all over those Safcol ones and cannot for the life of me find a packing nor an expiry date. How long in the sachet I wonder?
Whole load of numerical gibberish on the bottom only.
Lamont
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Eremophila » Thu 15 Oct, 2020 1:58 pm

CraigVIC wrote:For those that like pouches the safcol range at woolies has been cut back to plain and tomato/onion. The removed varieties have been replaced by a home brand version in spicy mayo and buffalo flavours. The home brand version is more of a paste or sandwich tuna style, not my taste. As for the others, grab them if you see them as they are listed as discontinued...

Oh no..... :shock: :shock: :shock: the mild red chilli is my favourite.

And you're right Lamont, there is no expiry date.

Off to Woolies it is.
Eremophila

Next

Return to Bush Tucker