Chief - Eat Like a Chief

Food topics, including recipes.

Chief - Eat Like a Chief

Postby stry » Wed 16 Jun, 2021 7:26 pm

Came across this recently. No association, just flagging the existence of the products. "Snacks for Healthy People" sounds like a worthy goal.

https://eatlikeachief.com/
stry
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Victoria

Re: Chief - Eat Like a Chief

Postby CasualNerd » Thu 17 Jun, 2021 1:29 pm

Just ordered a sample pack as a gift for a keto friend, I'll try and remember to report back.

Not cheap but definitely interesting getting rid of vegetable oils and other things that make up so much of some brands.

EDIT: They sent me a referral code, so if anyone is going to make an order send me a PM and I'll send you a referral link - you should get $10 off and I get a $10 voucher. That's much better than the $5 discount for signing up top their email promotions.
CasualNerd
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Tasmania

Postby Eremophila » Thu 17 Jun, 2021 2:09 pm

A quick search on "MCT oil" brought up the following:

MCT oil is a manufactured form of saturated fat that is made by processing palm oil and coconut oil.

I might try emailing them for a response on this ingredient.
Eremophila
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Postby CasualNerd » Thu 17 Jun, 2021 2:35 pm

Eremophila wrote:A quick search on "MCT oil" brought up the following:

MCT oil is a manufactured form of saturated fat that is made by processing palm oil and coconut oil.

I might try emailing them for a response on this ingredient.

MCT Oil is a widely used supplement for keto athletes, being that it stands for "Medium Chain Triglycerides" different brands or batches could vary pretty wildly in composition. A lot of people just add coconut oil. No one wants palm oil though !
CasualNerd
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Tasmania

Postby Eremophila » Thu 17 Jun, 2021 8:09 pm

Exactly.

I’ve also queried the hydrolyzed collagen powder. Sounds like good ol’ gelatin to me. A nice cheap filler if that’s the case.

But I’ll await their response.....
Eremophila

Postby ChrisJHC » Fri 18 Jun, 2021 8:26 am

CasualNerd wrote:No one wants palm oil though !

I assume you’re referring to the campaign to stop using palm oil because of its impact on the orangutan population?

Just be aware that palm oil also comes from places that don’t have orangutans - e.g. the Solomon Islands that desperately needs the income.
ChrisJHC

Postby Eremophila » Fri 18 Jun, 2021 11:58 am

Palm oil is also undesirable from a health point of view - in its most commonly used form (partially hydrogenated) it converts to trans fats. I have read this from numerous credible sources over the years, frustratingly I am unable to locate one right now to provide as a reference.

Palm oil is classed as a vegetable oil, as far as labelling requirements go. Not sure about coconut oil.
Eremophila

Postby Eremophila » Fri 18 Jun, 2021 8:22 pm

Response received today from Chief:

MCT Oil essentially comes from coconut oil. In the form we use, it's MCT oil and acacia fibre (a healthy source of fibre). You can read more about it here: https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/mct-oil-benefits

Our hydrolysed collagen powder is a grass-fed bovine collagen. Collagen is essentially a tasteless, powdered form of bone broth. The hydrolysation process refines it so that the molecular weight is a lot smaller which means it's more absorbable.

I have requested confirmation that there is no palm oil.
Eremophila

Postby EGM » Sat 19 Jun, 2021 10:11 pm

Purely from a health and nutrition stand point I'd much rather eat something with vegetable oil than coconut oil. It having such high percentage of saturated fat that it's solid at room temperature really leaves something to be desired.

I can't lie it doesn't taste too bad though.
EGM
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Eremophila » Wed 23 Jun, 2021 7:37 am

This was Chief’s response when I asked whether their MCT contained any palm oil:
Absolutely not! We avoid any kind of vegetable oil, not just palm oil, as it's so inflammatory.
Eremophila

Postby FatCanyoner » Wed 23 Jun, 2021 11:00 am

Moving past the overpriced wellness products (a lot of people are making a LOT of money through little more than good marketing these day), I really struggle with this company's use of cultural appropriation.

"Eat like a chief", "Join the tribe", etc, etc. They're taking the language of traditional cultures, stealing words and phrases with deep meaning, and using them as a marketing ploy. It really rubs me the wrong way.

It's not something unique to this company. In fact, it permeates the entire 'wellness' crowd (just try and trawl through Instagram). The fact that these 'wellness' folks are overwhelmingly upper middle class white kids is probably a big part of the problem.
FatCanyoner
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: www.FatCanyoners.org www.CanyonGear.com.au
Region: New South Wales

Postby stry » Thu 24 Jun, 2021 7:12 pm

FatCanyoner wrote:Moving past the overpriced wellness products (a lot of people are making a LOT of money through little more than good marketing these day), I really struggle with this company's use of cultural appropriation.

"Eat like a chief", "Join the tribe", etc, etc. They're taking the language of traditional cultures, stealing words and phrases with deep meaning, and using them as a marketing ploy. It really rubs me the wrong way.

It's not something unique to this company. In fact, it permeates the entire 'wellness' crowd (just try and trawl through Instagram). The fact that these 'wellness' folks are overwhelmingly upper middle class white kids is probably a big part of the problem.

Really ? Maybe it's just a harmless play on words.

Any social structure has the equivalent of chiefs and tribes. The words and their meanings aren't owned by anyone.
stry
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Ms_Mudd » Tue 29 Jun, 2021 1:15 pm

Thanks for posting this Stry.
I have been low carb for a few years, so am always keen to add some simple bars/snacks to my rotation of walking meals. Will definitely give these a crack.
Ms_Mudd
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby keithy » Wed 30 Jun, 2021 10:13 am

A mate of mine gave me a few of their Lamb bars (lamb and almond and currants) last year. They were 40g bars in the old packaging (yellow with the long haired bearded fellow on the front). I don't see that one on their website anymore but they were pretty tasty. I described them to my walking partners like a chewy meat flavoured muesli bar. The bars weren't as dry as jerky.

I had a couple of them for a lunch replacement. I think the last one I ate on the Falls to Hotham this year (was past it's best before date but still tasted good).

That said, they were pretty exy. Since I make my own jerky I haven't bought any more since.

IMG-20200709-WA0005.jpg
Chief Lamb bar
keithy

Region: Other Country

Postby Dian » Wed 07 Jul, 2021 11:48 am

Would really recommend these guys, so juicy with a nice amount of fat. And they support regenerative farming too. They've got kangaroo meat sticks but their biltong is my favourite.

https://www.barbellfoods.com.au
Dian
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby Ms_Mudd » Wed 14 Jul, 2021 4:05 pm

Yum! I got my trial packs and had the lemon tart collagen bar today. I liked it, tasted like nut butter with an interesting twist. It was cashew based.
Going to try one of the beef based ones tomorrow and then let the rest of the stash be reserved for trips, I thought it worthwhile to sample one or two prior to trips just in case they were terrible.
Ms_Mudd
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby GregG » Wed 14 Jul, 2021 6:08 pm

FatCanyoner wrote:Moving past the overpriced wellness products (a lot of people are making a LOT of money through little more than good marketing these day), I really struggle with this company's use of cultural appropriation.

I believe a lot of this sort of language derives from the paleo diet fad which thankfully now seems to have crept back into the scrub and died. The use of words like chief and tribe are a daily burden borne by my people, the Catuvellauni, first imposed on us by the Saxon invaders so long ago that we have now adopted them as our own. But no grudge held.
GregG

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Old bushie

Postby hallysmally » Tue 07 Sep, 2021 9:56 pm

If you want good aussie jerky then check out beef chief jerky. the charcoal jerky - loaded gunpowder - is not like anything else i've tried that's for sure. only ingredients are beef, salt, pepper and charcoal
hallysmally
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Region: Australia

Postby GregG » Wed 08 Sep, 2021 1:46 pm

hallysmally wrote:If you want good aussie jerky then check out beef chief jerky. the charcoal jerky - loaded gunpowder

Really? Given the current shortage of AP70N I might give it a try.
GregG

Postby stry » Fri 15 Oct, 2021 4:03 pm

GregG wrote:
hallysmally wrote:If you want good aussie jerky then check out beef chief jerky. the charcoal jerky - loaded gunpowder

Really? Given the current shortage of AP70N I might give it a try.

I think you would find that the jerky doesn't meter as well as AP70N. :lol:
stry
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby GregG » Fri 15 Oct, 2021 6:52 pm

Yeah, and a much quicker burn rate hehehe!
GregG

Return to Bush Tucker