Desktop version
Food topics, including recipes.
Post a reply

What's for Lunch on multi-day walks

Fri 29 Oct, 2021 8:00 pm

I think I had my last Mountain Bread, Cheese and Salami lunch the other day. Done to death. I know some people just eat a protein bar and keep walking but I'm kind of over them as well. I'll still eat them because they're quick and easy energy but for lunch, I'm looking for something a bit more interesting.

So I was wondering what ideas people have for lunch, when they're walking on a multi-day trip.

Re: What's for Lunch on multi-day walks

Fri 29 Oct, 2021 11:51 pm

I've seen people with fresh sushi on the trail - dehydrate some sushi rice, pack some nori and roll with packet tuna, avo, Kewpie Mayo etc. Looked amazing to us after eating salami/cheese for a week.

Personally, I often take some dehydrated dip with me to add interest to lunch. Cabbage also keeps for quite a while and can act like lettuce in a wrap (adds some crunch).

Besides that, iterate through packet tuna flavours?

Sat 30 Oct, 2021 5:56 am

It was easier when John West did foil pouches of tuna/beans. Now it's only Safcol, with only two variations, or the small, over-processed home-brand packs. JW still do the tuna/bean mixes, but in cans, which as bulkier and heavier. *&%$#! annoying.

Sat 30 Oct, 2021 6:23 am

How much effort do you want to go to? I've heard of people making cous cous salad for lunch - maybe prep it before leaving camp for the day?

Sat 30 Oct, 2021 7:58 am

matagi wrote:How much effort do you want to go to? I've heard of people making cous cous salad for lunch - maybe prep it before leaving camp for the day?
I'd be happy to get the cookset out and boil some water. I don't mind keeping busy so long as I'm sitting/lying down.

Sent from my SM-G998B using Tapatalk

Sat 30 Oct, 2021 3:25 pm

J M wrote:I've seen people with fresh sushi on the trail - dehydrate some sushi rice, pack some nori and roll with packet tuna..

Not keen on Tuna but I really like this idea. Dehy some sushi rice, add some nori, maybe a miso pack... This I like, cheers.

Sun 31 Oct, 2021 6:45 am

Laughing Cow and Vita Wheats. I don’t eat VW’s at home but this combo is very satisfying when I’m walking.

Sun 31 Oct, 2021 7:14 am

I've been taking along cucumber and baby tomatos on longer walks in winter/spring/autumn. Bit of extra water weight but the flavour is a nice change. Put them on biscuits or in wraps. Add some sultanas etc as well.

I'll often still put in some cheese for the calorie boost.

They have kept for 5 days+ no worries especially the cucumber..it's quite robust. The baby tomatoes you do have to be careful with to prevent them splitting in the pack

I also like saos with vegemite or peanut butter.

Sun 31 Oct, 2021 11:20 am

My favorite is instant soup with bread. In all weather except blasting heat. Or dried peanut butter on crackers.

Or tuna sachet on bread.

I also bring 2-3 carrots.

Wed 03 Nov, 2021 10:31 am

My options are generally a combination of all those already mentioned. And variety is important (both for enjoyment, and for nutrition). So I like to mix it up. Mission wraps, vita weats, ryvitas, home dried sliced-tomato-with-basil-and-oregano, cheese, salami, vegemite, peanut butter, butter, cream cheese, cucumber, etc. (and occasionally something hot thrown into the mix, eg 2 minute noodles - which probably have zero nutritional value).

But I thought it was worth adding that if you do like vegemite, it is available in a squeeze tube. Perfect for this kind of use. My kids refer to it as leech wraps, because that's what it looks like when you squeeze it out.

Eg: https://www.woolworths.com.au/shop/prod ... -pack-tube

vegemite.jpg
vegemite.jpg (5.92 KiB) Viewed 22228 times

Thu 13 Jan, 2022 2:42 pm

I take dehydrated salad - very easy to make:
coleslaw (ready made from supermarket)
red onion
beetroot
mushroom
mango
chop/slice/dice these
corn from can or frozen

precooked rice - dried separately
tuna in brine - dried separately
red salmon in brine - dried separately

when dried, simply mix and store in ziplock bag.
I use a plastic peanut butter jar (very good waterproof seal), pour in salad mix and just cover with cold water at breakfast. It will rehydrate quickly.
I have this with flatbread and mayo (the only heavy things).

Thu 13 Jan, 2022 3:16 pm

Ainsley couscous is delicious by itself or with tuna sachet.

https://www.ainsley-harriott.com/ainsle ... /couscous/

Mon 17 Jan, 2022 8:06 pm

Safeway have Hungarian liverwurst and chicken liver pate in small tins again. I just grabbed some to put in the stash. Despite the weight of the tins I think the flavour and calories make it worthwhile, Ditto for sardines in oil. I still like a brew up at lunch tho so soup isn't out of the question either. It's a decent cracker I am still having trouble finding and why I bake.

Mon 17 Jan, 2022 9:33 pm

Vita-Weat (9 grain) with vintage cheddar. It tastes better each day as I get hungrier. Never disappoints.

Mon 07 Feb, 2022 9:27 am

I’m another fan of stopping for 30 minutes with a cup a soup. The ones with noodles or croutons work great and I always rely on nuts for good protein and good fats. If it’s very hot there are some great protein sachets that you just add cold water to for a nice thick shake. Excellent if you can plan lunch by a cool mountain stream or spring. I often add oats to these for a nice breakfast or lunch. Greats with chopped up nuts and a few bits of dried apple.

Wed 02 Mar, 2022 3:39 pm

I made some of these for a recent 8 day walk. https://www.fannetasticfood.com/savory- ... pizza-bar/
I swapped out the pumpkin seeds for extra sunflower seeds. They kept pretty well, and were very easy to store, and very convenient on the rainy days.

Wed 02 Mar, 2022 5:10 pm

Thank you, miss-linda, they are on my to-experiment list for this weekend! I always take muesli bars but they just don’t appeal any more- savoury would be perfect.

Wed 02 Mar, 2022 6:21 pm

You might like these too https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/11382 ... nola-bars/
I use a mix of dates, cranberries and slivered almonds and slightly increased the honey and butter to make them extra chewy. I forgot my muesli one trip, but found these nice for breakfast
Post a reply