No-compromise coffee

Food topics, including recipes.

Re: No-compromise coffee

Postby John Sheridan » Mon 23 Jan, 2012 6:52 am

I have just found the perfect coffee, all your searching is OVER.

Nestle Just Add Water Coffee Alternative 385g.

http://www2.woolworthsonline.com.au/Sho ... rch=coffee

I am sure it's much better that that brewed beans crap you all think is good :p

Cheers.
John Sheridan
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: New South Wales

Postby Miyata610 » Mon 23 Jan, 2012 7:12 am

John Sheridan wrote:I have just found the perfect coffee, all your searching is OVER.

Nestle Just Add Water Coffee Alternative 385g.

http://www2.woolworthsonline.com.au/Sho ... rch=coffee

I am sure it's much better that that brewed beans crap you all think is good :p

Cheers.

I've used this stuff whilst hiking. It also comes in a tube. No need to add water just suck it out. Hey it's caffeine.
Phil
Miyata610
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Region: Tasmania

Postby John Sheridan » Sun 29 Jan, 2012 6:18 pm

I have the tub stuff too, I thought the can was powder, but it seems it's the same wet stuff as in the tube, not sure why they put it in a can ?????

Cheers.
John Sheridan
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby walkinTas » Sun 05 Feb, 2012 3:32 pm

Ok tasAdam, stop mucking around and take the coffee machine with you. <½Kg.

Pression 16bars
Réservoir d'eau de 50ml
Très compact 22 x 10 x 7cm

Poids plume 476g

walkinTas
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby John Sheridan » Sat 11 Feb, 2012 6:02 pm

I just made me a nice cup of Espresso:Latte, I used some Woolworths select beans and ground them up and put them in a tea bag, tea emptied of course and then tied the string back on and made a jiggler coffee bag, then I made me a nice coffee, I added a packet of Moccona latte, just for the milk, the one in the tube packet and Made the coffee.

Was the coffee any good, well I liked it it had more kick to it than if I just used the Moccona alone. I would say good enough for a camping brew :p

I think i will have another.

Cheers.
John Sheridan
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby LandSailor » Sat 11 Feb, 2012 9:19 pm

Anybody tried roll-your-own coffee bags?
LandSailor
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby John Sheridan » Sat 11 Feb, 2012 10:42 pm

That's the same as I do with the tea bags, just get some cheap 100 pack of homebrand ect tea bags and its much cheaper.

Homebrand $2.68 $0.74/100G

From woolworths, just make your own if you want to try it out, very simple.

Cheers.
John Sheridan
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby matagi » Sun 12 Feb, 2012 8:11 am

If you are handy with a needle and thread (or have access to someone with basic sewing skills) you can make your own reusable bags from muslin. You will need a double layer of muslin to avoid losing the grounds through the weave.
This makes me the first man to climb Mount Everest backwards, without oxygen...or even a jumper.
matagi

Postby Rob A » Sun 12 Feb, 2012 8:57 am

Problem with all this is, where do you get the grounds?
If you grind up then cart it round for a day or two you might just as well drink instant.
Biggest problem for coffee drinkers is the caffine DTs. Nice head throbbing day in the alpine glare... :|.
Every four seconds, somewhere in the world, an Harlequin Mills and Boon is sold ... Wot ...
Rob A

Postby tasadam » Mon 13 Feb, 2012 10:05 am

Looks like I might be able to enjoy quality coffee on walks after all - I now have an Airspresso. Photos and description coming soon.
tasadam
Magnus administratio
Magnus administratio

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: TasmaniART, Smitten Merino, Macpac

Postby phan_TOM » Mon 13 Feb, 2012 10:11 am

tasadam wrote:Looks like I might be able to enjoy quality coffee on walks after all - I now have an Airspresso. Photos and description coming soon.

Had my full attention & wondering if I had any cash in my Paypal account until I saw the price, $180!! Yikes.
ALWAYS be yourself.
Unless you can be outside, then ALWAYS be outside.
phan_TOM

Postby tasadam » Mon 13 Feb, 2012 10:57 am

I know, but it's Australian made and looks the goods. Yet to try it out. You get what you pay for, so they say. I looked closely at all the options I could find before deciding to take the plunge (pun) and get something that makes true espresso quality coffee and is small and lightweight enough for me to justify carrying.
tasadam
Magnus administratio
Magnus administratio

Postby phan_TOM » Mon 13 Feb, 2012 11:52 am

It looks great and very well made, I'm sure it will last for ages. Bonus that its Aussie made. I'll look forward to hearing how you find it, both the ease of use and the quality of the brew that it puts out. I have doubts that it will be up to your exacting standards though :P
ALWAYS be yourself.
Unless you can be outside, then ALWAYS be outside.
phan_TOM

Postby JohnM » Mon 13 Feb, 2012 12:51 pm

This is not directed to anyone in particular, but I don't think $140 for this is expensive.

In fact, I think it's fair value. It's made in Australia, by people who are getting paid developed-nation wages. My own belief is that we've been conditioned to believe that things should be artificially cheap (because they're made by modern-day slaves getting paid a couple of bucks a day). And it's gotten to the point now that many people believe that anything that they really have to think twice about buying, or have to save up to own, is "expensive".

The global consumer economy has meant a huge increase in consumption of disposable (cheap) things. Things that we throw out when they lose their shine. Things that last a year and are cheaper to replace than repair.

To me, that stuff is too cheap. And things like the coffee maker are about right.

Sorry for the misplaced rant. But local manufacturers of quality products are suffering because people don't differentiate between their stuff, and cheap junk, when comparing value.

And if you've ever wondered what your old gear purchases would cost in today's dollars, the RBA has a great inflation calculator. My 1992 Macpac Olympus cost the equivalent of $871 of today's dollars. A bargain given it was made in NZ, and is still going strong today.

http://www.rba.gov.au/calculator/annualDecimal.html
JohnM
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

No-compromise coffee

Postby oyster_07 » Mon 13 Feb, 2012 3:29 pm

Reference my earlier post on the Aeropress. This Airpress seems to be a knock-off or the Aeropress.
oyster_07
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Victoria

Postby Orion » Tue 14 Feb, 2012 3:41 am

oyster_07 wrote:This Airpress seems to be a knock-off or the Aeropress.

You missed the part where they claim 5 to 8 bar pressure.

The Airspresso is more akin to the Handpresso mentioned above in that it uses hand pumped air pressure. These devices start at some pressure (5-8 bar with the Airspresso and 16 bar with the Handpresso) and then the pressure declines as the shot of coffee is produced.

The Aeropress method results in very little pressure. Depending on how hard you push on it you might get a bar or so, probably less. To reach 5 bar you and a friend would have to stand on it.

This guy actually built a lever press for his Aeropress so he could achieve a higher pressure.
Orion
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Other Country

Postby tasadam » Tue 14 Feb, 2012 6:29 am

Yes, the maximum pressure in the Airpresso according to the instructions is 120psi (or about 8.3 bar).
As an example of pressure typically used to extract an espresso shot from a high end or commercial machine, my machine at home extracts at 9 bar (130psi). This is typical and indeed this value is used in the name of these espresso shops for a reason. Here, and Here.

If you are extracting at less pressure, you will need to adjust the grind more course to suit the pressure, or you will not get an extraction, it can just clog up.
So, for an extraction that is done by hand pressure, the grind will need to be closer to that used in plunger coffee, or perhaps a bit finer.
This (in theory - I haven't tested it but am calling on my knowledge of coffee here) will produce a different outcome to that of an extraction at higher pressure.
Note I use the word "different" - I didn't say "better" or "worse", because it is still a result created by passing hot water through coffee beans. Unless something really goes bad, you will definitely have something more enjoyable and more representative of "coffee" than instant (ooh, did I just swear?) :oops:

Another important note is water temperature. Take the plunger at home... How often do you see the coffee grinds go in, the kettle boiled and the hot water poured straight onto the grinds?
The best temperature for extracting nice coffee from coffee grinds is in the order of 92 to 96 degrees (Celsius). Too hot, and you can scorch the beans and will taste the result.
The point is that any of these devices that extract a coffee by passing hot water through coffee grinds, the hot water should be left to stand for a short bit to drop the temperature down from boiling point.
How long to stand 500ml of water in a billy in the Tasmanian wilderness so the temperature drops from 100 to 96 and then 92 degrees? Don't know, yet... Field thermometer required. In the interim, I would imagine 30 seconds of standing after the boil should do it.

Orion wrote:This guy actually built a lever press for his Aeropress so he could achieve a higher pressure.
I just had a read of that...
Also, the AeroPress vents grounds out the side of the filter holder at the higher pressures. I will stick with the mix and press method. I think it makes a more interesting cup of coffee.
Effectively he is using his AeroPress as a plunger (even with the built in lever), and had venting problems (grinds forcing past the plunger, as happens with plunger coffee sometimes) when trying espresso style shots.
tasadam
Magnus administratio
Magnus administratio

Postby Liamy77 » Tue 14 Feb, 2012 7:54 am

I now have THE PERFECT SOLUTION!!!
costs = NIL
coffee = as good as you can make!

solution = ....... I take mine white and one guys... did I mention you HAVE to come on my next walk? ( and bring your expensive gadgets please )
I'll bring the hip flask for spiking the cuppas ;)
;) :lol:

This comes from the same place as "you too can have the body of your DREAMS!!! ...... ...you just have to dream of a sad flabby body..." :lol: 8)
Taggunnah
GRAVITY... IS A HARSH MISTRESS!
knowledge's lighter than gadgets..but gadgets can be fun!
Liamy77
Auctorita modica
Auctorita modica

Location: Southern Channel, Tas.... but sometimes i leave n walk around elsewhere!
ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Woodbridge Organics

Postby blacksheep » Tue 14 Feb, 2012 8:43 am

Adam, keen as to hear how it works out! I still carry my little bialetti, works a treat, has for years. (mind you, my home machine is a la pavoni lever, so maybe i am a traditionalist, but willing to grow..)
out and about

home and happy
Good design is a kind of alchemy.
www.alchemy-equipment.com
blacksheep

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: TBA.
Region: New Zealand

Postby Orion » Tue 14 Feb, 2012 8:47 am

tasadam wrote:Another important note is water temperature. Take the plunger at home... How often do you see the coffee grinds go in, the kettle boiled and the hot water poured straight onto the grinds?

That's what I do with an Aeropress at home. The boiling water and cold coffee grounds mix together quickly dropping the temperature below 92°C. There is an instant when the first part of the too-hot water hits the first fraction of grounds which might have a negative effect on the taste. But it is such a short transient thing that my guess is it is less of a problem than the fact that brewing temperature starts low and then drops further during the holding time.

Where I usually walk the elevation is such that boiling point is less than 92°C. In those circumstances, strange as it seems, it makes perfect sense to boil the coffee cowboy style for a minute or two and then filter it.
Orion
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Miyata610 » Tue 06 Mar, 2012 1:45 pm

blacksheep wrote:Adam, keen as to hear how it works out! I still carry my little bialetti, works a treat, has for years.

I just got one of these for my birthday from my spouse (thanks dear).

It's the Mini Express 1 cup. Weighs about 200g. Perfecto. Off to the Western Arthurs.

:-)
Phil
Miyata610

Postby John Sheridan » Thu 22 Mar, 2012 9:45 am

If you grind your coffee and then vacumpack a single serve that should last for a week or more right, well still taste like fresh coffee right ??

Or is coffee weird when you grind it and what ever you do wont keep it fresh as the day it was grinded ??

Cheers.
John Sheridan
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby oldpiscator » Thu 22 Mar, 2012 9:53 am

Just recently added the coffee plunger option to my Jetboil. I use 1 of the Aldi coffee Expressi capsules per cup = gives a nice short black in about 1 minute.
oldpiscator
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Orion » Thu 22 Mar, 2012 11:05 am

John Sheridan wrote:If you grind your coffee and then vacumpack a single serve that should last for a week or more right, well still taste like fresh coffee right ??

Or is coffee weird when you grind it and what ever you do wont keep it fresh as the day it was grinded ??

Cheers.

Coffee is "weird" in that it ages despite completely removing the oxygen. And vacumpack will not even do that really. In exposing so much surface area by grinding it you will probably end up with coffee a week later that is not nearly as good as fresh ground, but perhaps good enough for you under the circumstances. It is, of course, a matter of taste. I drink instant in the bush.
Orion
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

No-compromise coffee

Postby tasadam » Tue 10 Apr, 2012 10:12 am

For anyone that really wants to read about "no compromise" coffee, have a read of this -
http://worldbaristachampionship.com/wor ... .09.10.pdf

And if you want to see the best that Tasmania has in action,
http://www.aasca.com/competitions/detpa ... -tasmania/
tasadam
Magnus administratio
Magnus administratio

Postby photohiker » Tue 10 Apr, 2012 12:06 pm

Orion wrote:
tasadam wrote:Another important note is water temperature. Take the plunger at home... How often do you see the coffee grinds go in, the kettle boiled and the hot water poured straight onto the grinds?

That's what I do with an Aeropress at home. The boiling water and cold coffee grounds mix together quickly dropping the temperature below 92°C. There is an instant when the first part of the too-hot water hits the first fraction of grounds which might have a negative effect on the taste. But it is such a short transient thing that my guess is it is less of a problem than the fact that brewing temperature starts low and then drops further during the holding time.

Where I usually walk the elevation is such that boiling point is less than 92°C. In those circumstances, strange as it seems, it makes perfect sense to boil the coffee cowboy style for a minute or two and then filter it.

I use the Aeropress pretty often at home. I Never pour boiling water onto the grounds - I use a digital thermometer and kill the power on the kettle when it reaches 90c, by the time I have poured it into the Aeropress it has reached 92-93c.

Also, for Latte, I use the thermometer to keep the milk below 73c (remove from heat at 68c) where changes to the taste occur, also reducing the risk of burning your mouth.

Adam, when he says "the AeroPress vents grounds out the side of the filter holder at the higher pressures" he is talking about the filter holder, not the plunger. The plunger is like a big syringe washer, I don't think grounds will be venting past that at any sane pressure. I think what is possibly happening is that the filter holder distorts under high pressure and the seal between the filter holder and the body is broken, allowing mixture to escape out the side of the holder, not passing through the filter.
Michael
photohiker
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

No-compromise coffee

Postby tasadam » Tue 10 Apr, 2012 2:40 pm

tasadam wrote:I you want to see the best that Tasmania has in action,
http://www.aasca.com/competitions/detpa ... -tasmania/

The competition is this Saturday, at the showgrounds in Glenorchy, starting at 3pm. It will likely go for a couple of hours or so, depending on the number of entrants. Spectator admission is free.
tasadam
Magnus administratio
Magnus administratio

Postby Bushman Ben » Wed 11 Apr, 2012 9:58 am

Hey guys,

The Airspresso is great, I've used one a few times recently with some great results. It uses a bike pump to build pressure, so the total weight I was carrying was about 335grams before adding water and coffee into the equation, but its definitely a no-compromise coffee. Its come with me on the last two trips and i've thoroughly enjoyed the results. The standout thing for me was that the whole group of us; which was 6 of us on one trip, were able to have a coffee each, one after the other out of the same machine without having to go through the water boil process again.

<i>Full disclosure: I received a demo model from the manufacturer that I tested for my site. If anybody feels that my feedback could be in breach of the forums rules, let me know and Ill remove my comment</i>
I am doing my best to create a blogsite dedicated to hiking in Aus, if you want to help let me know
http://hike-australia.com
Bushman Ben
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby photohiker » Wed 11 Apr, 2012 10:59 am

Bushman Ben wrote:the total weight I was carrying was about 335grams before adding water and coffee into the equation

Did that include the bike pump?
Michael
photohiker
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Orion » Wed 11 Apr, 2012 12:14 pm

photohiker wrote:I use the Aeropress pretty often at home. I Never pour boiling water onto the grounds - I use a digital thermometer and kill the power on the kettle when it reaches 90c, by the time I have poured it into the Aeropress it has reached 92-93c.

Do you pre-heat the cylinder? Measure the temperature of the grounds/water mix during the steep period and you'll see what I'm talking about.

photohiker wrote:Adam, when he says "the AeroPress vents grounds out the side of the filter holder at the higher pressures" he is talking about the filter holder, not the plunger. The plunger is like a big syringe washer, I don't think grounds will be venting past that at any sane pressure. I think what is possibly happening is that the filter holder distorts under high pressure and the seal between the filter holder and the body is broken, allowing mixture to escape out the side of the holder, not passing through the filter.

I think the AeroXpress guy really meant the plunger. He claimed to have reached over 6 bar which is the equivalent of placing 150 kg on the plunger (and is not a sane pressure for the Aeropress). He said his plunger was old. My Aeropress is only 11 months old and I've noticed the rubber part doesn't fit as snugly as it did when new.
Orion
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

PreviousNext

Return to Bush Tucker