The solution for good coffee drinkers

Food topics, including recipes.

Re: The solution for good coffee drinkers

Postby Ms_Mudd » Thu 10 Sep, 2020 3:08 pm

hmm sitting here drinking a coffee made with the GSI Ultralight Java Drip which just arrived.
Simple to use, yes. Smells like real coffee, yes. Is it satisfying, jury is out.

A week's walking coming up over the next few weeks and I am debating which mode to go.

GSI Java Driop is 11g as advertised. I wouldn't bother bringing my grinder if using it, as that would be a wasted extra 260g as I dont think a fresh grind will enhance the results at all, that being the case, using the GSI would shave quite a bit of weight off my pack. Need to bring a mug for sure though as cant pour and drip into the same pot.

Aeropress 183g including reusable filter, but can leave my 43g cup at home, I use the inverted method, so can pour from the titanium pot, let it brew then flip it back onto the same pot when ready to press. = 140g total.
Better brew does me tempted to bring my grinder though....

Truly one of life's big decisions to be made.
We are car camping as a family this weekend, so will bring both coffee making apparatus' on that trip, before I commit to a decision for a week's walking. I don't want sobbing to be heard from my vestibule if I get it wrong.
Ms_Mudd
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: New South Wales

Postby Lamont » Thu 10 Sep, 2020 7:54 pm

Ms_Mudd wrote:hmm sitting here drinking a coffee made with the GSI Ultralight Java Drip which just arrived.
Simple to use, yes. Smells like real coffee, yes. Is it satisfying, jury is out.

A week's walking coming up over the next few weeks and I am debating which mode to go.

GSI Java Driop is 11g as advertised. I wouldn't bother bringing my grinder if using it, as that would be a wasted extra 260g as I dont think a fresh grind will enhance the results at all, that being the case, using the GSI would shave quite a bit of weight off my pack. Need to bring a mug for sure though as cant pour and drip into the same pot.

Aeropress 183g including reusable filter, but can leave my 43g cup at home, I use the inverted method, so can pour from the titanium pot, let it brew then flip it back onto the same pot when ready to press. = 140g total.
Better brew does me tempted to bring my grinder though....

Truly one of life's big decisions to be made.
We are car camping as a family this weekend, so will bring both coffee making apparatus' on that trip, before I commit to a decision for a week's walking. I don't want sobbing to be heard from my vestibule if I get it wrong.

One word.

Chamomile Tea bag.
Lamont
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: https://www.againstmalaria.com/
Region: Other Country

Postby Neo » Thu 10 Sep, 2020 9:36 pm

Drip coffee isn't as satisfying as pressure made but it is better than that warm beverage called instant.
Neo
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby ChrisJHC » Thu 10 Sep, 2020 10:23 pm

Based on making two brews at home, it looks good.
Good crema and appears foolproof.
A little heavy but worth it for shorter trips.
For longer trips I’ll probably stick with coffee bags due to weight.

Hopefully I can give it a proper field test when we’re allowed out of the house.
ChrisJHC
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Region: Victoria

Postby Ms_Mudd » Fri 11 Sep, 2020 9:09 am

Lamont wrote:
Chamomile Tea bag.

Valium would be required, a chamomile teabag would be insufficient if I didn't get my coffee.

Neo wrote:Drip coffee isn't as satisfying as pressure made but it is better than that warm beverage called instant.

Yes, definitely more palatable than instant. Btw I am heading up your way with my coffee gadgettry this weekend- Wauchope

You got crema with the nanopresso ChrisJHC- that IS impressive. I could understand taking it on shorter walks for sure, how nice to stop for a break and have a decent brew.
I think there should be an entire thread dedicated to photos from such coffee breaks. I have enjoyed Lamonts Moka pot photographs. I think I may have a problem :oops: :lol:
Ms_Mudd
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby ChrisJHC » Fri 11 Sep, 2020 9:27 am

Ms_Mudd wrote:
Chamomile Tea bag.
Valium would be required, a chamomile teabag would be insufficient if I didn't get my coffee.

Nope - you’re going the wrong way. Valium would slow you down even further. You’d be better with Adrenalin, pseudoephedrine or similar.
:)

Ms_Mudd wrote: ...how nice to stop for a break and have a decent brew...

Once again, missing the point. The whole idea of being able to have an espresso is entirely for the poseur factor and to have everyone else at the campsite both hate you and envy you at the same time!
:)
ChrisJHC

Postby Lamont » Fri 11 Sep, 2020 9:34 am

There you go Muddy. Hiding from the wind down south a while back. My last Moka pot day a couple of months back I suppose. I'm a tea boy now most of the time.
No one around but me -sucking down a couple of short blacks.
Attachments
Capture.JPGCoffee.JPG
Lamont
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Ms_Mudd » Fri 11 Sep, 2020 12:30 pm

ChrisJHC, yes a benzo would slow me down, but might help quell the tears that would be falling from a poor coffee gadget choice.
I work permanent night shift so my reliance on the ol' caffeine goes beyond what could be considered healthy or normal, have made an effort to cut down a bit this year though. Happy to make others in camp jealous as well with the smell of my brew :lol:

Lamont, that's what I am talking about! Beautiful shot of a moka pot in the wild. May I ask why you have converted to tea?
Ms_Mudd
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Lamont » Fri 11 Sep, 2020 1:18 pm

Tea is easier on my stomach, weighs much less and takes much less space. I can hang on until I get home for coffee.
In warm weather I take a really nice instant with some powdered milk and make a frappe. Used to make them for a living in another life and it's nice in the warm. It's on here somewhere.
Though the tea I drink is quite strong and very short so that might be how I get around it.
Lamont
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Ms_Mudd » Sun 13 Sep, 2020 7:18 pm

Frappe yum. I did nearly save a 350ml water bottle today when cleaning out the car, probably would have made a perfect frappe shaker
Ms_Mudd
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Lamont » Mon 14 Sep, 2020 11:15 am

Ms_Mudd wrote:Frappe yum. I did nearly save a 350ml water bottle today ....probably would have made a perfect frappe shaker

Yep. Why not have a crack at this-
I like to have a frappe when I don't carry a stove. This is what I decided on after a lot of trialling. I posted these elsewhere on BWC.

Bought on special for about $3.50 Nescafe 'Gold Dark 8 with added barista style ground coffee' mmmmm -Strength 8 out of 9 (-why not out of 10?) and no 9 to be found!
-About 100 mls tap water (and tap water temp)
-one heaped teaspoon number 8
-and two heaped teaspoons of powdered milk of choice.
Shake in a Peanut butter jar (see pic below) jar 20-30 secs-perfectly acceptable morning coffee drink.
Rinse, store all the dry ingredients back in the jar. Total weight of plastic jar and four days coffee is 70 gms grams, jar empty 16 gms.
Even with the lid on tightly a wee bit may leak -just don't shake over you sable/mink/leather walking shorts.
Makes a short, very strong, dark and delicious drink-you want another whip it up. 350 mls of this would be too much -it's strong- ( this from a 4-6/day short black/espresso drinker per day of several decades). Quick rinse, shake and off you go. I have given this to people who told me they were 'good coffee' drinkers -didn't have a clue it was instant. The milk hides the little shortfall of fullness of flavour in all coffee. Coconut milk powder might be very nice too.

Try it out and tell me what you reckon. Always reckon good coffee is whatever a person likes to drink.
Have I tempted you into a 'Frappe Lamonto' Muddy?
Attachments
Capture.JPGJar.JPG
Lamont
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Ms_Mudd » Fri 18 Sep, 2020 7:52 pm

so tempted for the Lamont special, I have a wee spoon obtained from Niska, the weird robot icecream shop in Fed Square that I have saved for some purpose, I just didn't know what it was yet ! I am going to frappe myself happe soon I think.
I took the GSI ultralight drip filter walking this week. Honestly, coffee bags would have given the same result. I ground my coffee the night before going, so it was pretty fresh, even on day 4. Aeropress definitely superior, but other than a single overnight or indulgent daywalk, it is not hitching a ride on my shoulders anymore.
Ms_Mudd
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Lamont » Sat 19 Sep, 2020 7:24 am

Frappe yourself happe. I like it.
Lamont
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Huntsman247 » Sat 19 Sep, 2020 8:23 am

Dunno about that instant stuff...
I've tried a number of things over the years. From the hand pump expresso makers which make a decent brew but a bit too complicated and heavy. To filters and coffee bags.
My go to compromise is a Turkish style coffee. I grind it myself as the Turkish coffee from woollies & Coles is terrible. Unless you live in a bigger city with a decent Turkish shop you kinda have to grind it. Keep the grounds in a ziplock. Stays fresh enough.
Mix it an insulated cup with hot water. This helps it brew. Let it sit for a few min and stir.
Leave a bit of liquid at the bottom of the cup with the dregs. Give it a swirl and rinse.
I bring a small bottle of cream and add that to the coffee once brewed. IGA sells the small 150ml screw top cream bottles. Can last for number of days if you have self control not to put cream on everything.
The trick is getting the right coffee and grinding it fine enough. Not all grinders can get it that fine.
I'm a pretty big coffee snob but so fair that's the best coffee for simplicity in my preferences.
Huntsman247

Postby Ms_Mudd » Sat 19 Sep, 2020 9:56 am

Huntsman247 wrote:
I bring a small bottle of cream and add that to the coffee once brewed. IGA sells the small 150ml screw top cream bottles. Can last for number of days if you have self control not to put cream on everything.

Ah more self control than I probably have. Great idea in Winter though when it wouldnt go off. I eat low carb 99% of the time, so either have my coffee and tea black or with cream. Yum. My IGA only has the bigger 240ml creams though, so jealous you can get slightly smaller ones.
Ms_Mudd
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Huntsman247 » Sat 19 Sep, 2020 12:08 pm

Ms_Mudd wrote:My IGA only has the bigger 240ml creams though, so jealous you can get slightly smaller ones.

They are soo good. Don't know why nobody else does them.... My IGA does the western star and black and gold in both the smaller and larger bottles. Even got options! haha. :wink:
But I suppose it can always be transferred to a bottle.
Huntsman247

Postby mikeRsyd » Sat 19 Sep, 2020 11:14 pm

For hiking I copy the yanks and but Starbucks via pikes place instant, Italian is ash. For travel or car camp aeropress, French press or pour over drip. Daiso have cheap plastic single mug drip filters and holders for $2.80

Sent from my Mi 9 Lite using Tapatalk
mikeRsyd
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby ChrisJHC » Sun 20 Sep, 2020 12:17 pm

I’ll post this link without comment:

https://www.goodfood.com.au/eat-out/new ... 918-h1qtjq
ChrisJHC

Postby Ms_Mudd » Sun 20 Sep, 2020 12:57 pm

ChrisJHC wrote:I’ll post this link without comment:

"Magic Bogan Dust" :lol: :lol: :lol: As I sit here sipping my handground tosspot coffee, I can't help but feel I should try some freezedried coffee bearing such a fine name. Great article. I eat freezedried food while out walking, ultralight coffee seems a logical step.
Ms_Mudd
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby ggorgeman » Tue 27 Oct, 2020 1:16 pm

Heading out for an overnighter this W/E and have been throwing around the options for coffee. A re-read of this thread was very helpful. I've decided to cop the weight and take the Minipresso GR (takes grounds not capsules). Approx 400g. I figure that some other weight savings due to shorter trip will help.

I've been alternating between the Minipresso and the Aeropress at work for a while now and find that the Minipresso makes a brilliant short black with a magnificent crema (using freshly ground beans). IMHO the result is far superior to the Aeropress, which is probably to be expected as the Minipresso is extracting the shot using pressure. Hoping that pre-grinding beans 36hr prior doesn't compromise the result too much. Cant justify the weight of a grinder too!

I'd almost resorted to a small plastic plunger (french press) but after a couple of short blacks from the Minipresso today, I was convinced that it had to be in the pack.
ggorgeman
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Lamont » Tue 27 Oct, 2020 1:51 pm

Ms_Mudd wrote:
ChrisJHC wrote:I’ll post this link without comment:

"Magic Bogan Dust" :lol: :lol: :lol: As I sit here sipping my handground tosspot coffee, I can't help but feel I should try some freezedried coffee bearing such a fine name. Great article. I eat freezedried food while out walking, ultralight coffee seems a logical step.

This is the one I referred to above.

'Nescafe -'Gold Dark 8 with added barista style ground coffee'.
Have you tried it?

Instantalicious!
Lamont
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby neilmny » Fri 30 Oct, 2020 5:01 am

This is wonderful, I can finally admit in public that I like Nescafe Gold Original Instant Coffee and have been drinking it for a lot of years.
Rated 7th out of 8 at 87.25/100 :lol: Black or with milk.....dozen madder. Buy it in the 320gm bag for around $14.00 on special.

Wouldn't mind trying the Honeybird Magic Bogan Dust just because the name has appeal :)
neilmny
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Neo » Sat 31 Oct, 2020 10:45 pm

The tetra drip via TierGear is good. Not the same as a mocda pot of course.

Very happy sitting on my (399g) stool with a (10.8g) drip coffee. Both can be precarious in use!
Neo
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby adventuremum » Sat 22 May, 2021 3:46 pm

Hi Coffee Drinkers
Any coffee maker advice/suggestions (for both hiking & cycle/kayak touring)
For cycle/kayak touring was considering:
Wacaco Nanopresso (new model coming 25 May, ?lighter)
336g
18 bar/261 psi maximum pressure
Minipresso GR Espresso (new model coming 25 May, ?lighter)
360g
8 bar/116 psi average pressure
AeroPress Coffee Maker
370g (including accessories)
220g (press only)

For hiking, weight an issue, but need a solution to my coffee habit acquired during COVID (could detox pre-Larapinta...)
???
Tetra Drip 01P (PP) - MUNIEQ
10.8g
Tetra Drip 01S (stainless steel) - MUNIEQ
25.5g
Vargo Titanium Travel Coffee Filter
36g
Kapik Titanium Coffee Drip
45g
Trinity Zero Coffee Press
115g
TOAKS MAXI Titanium Moka Stove Espresso Coffee Pot 200ML
180g
Snow Peak Titanium French Press
180g
apparently makes gritty coffee
GSI Mini Expresso Stainless Steel
230g

And for those of you also looking, this article lists other options
https://backpackinglight.com/how-to-make-coffee-in-the-backcountry-gear-and-methods/
Thanks
Last edited by adventuremum on Sat 22 May, 2021 5:46 pm, edited 3 times in total.
adventuremum
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Snooze » Sat 22 May, 2021 5:19 pm

Could you learn to love pourover coffee (on overnight walks)? GSI ultralight Java Drip works well.
Snooze
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby Neo » Sat 22 May, 2021 5:51 pm

Hi adventuremum. How do you like your coffee usually? As in black/white and hot/warm?
Neo
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby adventuremum » Sat 22 May, 2021 5:59 pm

Thanks for suggestions.
Given weight, think I'll have to go pourover. I presume it tastes better than instant???
Just not sure whether to go Tetra Drip & disposable filters OR GSI Java Drip with Reusable nylon filters?
Which is least flimsy?
Has anyone used GSI (or other) reusable filters with Tetra drip?
I could splurge & go Vargo Titanium???

At home I do white (soy). But I thought I'd go long blacks while hiking.
Last edited by adventuremum on Sat 22 May, 2021 6:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
adventuremum
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby CasualNerd » Sat 22 May, 2021 6:06 pm

I did notice Aero Press have launched a slightly more compact, lighter model the Aeropress Go - https://aeropress.com/aeropress-go/

I'd be interested to see if it will fit the same stainless screen I have for the aeropress (so no need to carry disposable filters) and whether the included cup nests properly with the press itself. The weight saving isn't significant but if it all nests together nicely the space saving might be significant compared to traditional brand mugs and brewing gear.
CasualNerd
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Tasmania

Postby ChrisJHC » Sat 22 May, 2021 6:30 pm

For short hikes I carry a Minipresso.
It’s a bit of faffing about but worth it for the look on other people’s faces when I have an espresso.

For longer hikes I just use the coffee bags from the supermarket as I don’t want the extra weight and the foil packets keep the coffee fresh.
ChrisJHC

Postby Neo » Sat 22 May, 2021 6:39 pm

At home I use a moka pot.
About the same weight as a Waeco really, quick and no pfaff.

I can recommend the tetra drip.
I do not recommend the GSI mini.
Neo
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

PreviousNext

Return to Bush Tucker