PLB Battery Replacement. Is it worth it?

For all high tech electronic equipment including GPS, PLB, chargers, phones, computers, software. Discussion of simple electrical devices such as torches, belongs in the main 'Equipment' forum.

Re: PLB Battery Replacement. Is it worth it?

Postby philm » Tue 12 Jan, 2021 7:12 pm

Unfortunately the cost of changing the battery is nearly as much as a new unit. It’s a lost opportunity and poor for the environment
Leaving consumers with little choice other than buy a new unit
philm
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: South Australia

Postby Neo » Tue 12 Jan, 2021 8:30 pm

Have a KTI. Without contacting them directly, a Google search showed this
Attachments
20210112_211926.jpg
20210112_211926.jpg (72.54 KiB) Viewed 26222 times
Neo
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: New South Wales

Postby philm » Wed 13 Jan, 2021 5:26 am

The replacement battery cost varies a lot by brand plus you need to pay freight costs etc.
philm
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby iGBH » Wed 13 Jan, 2021 12:43 pm

I paid under $80 to get mine replaced via eBay. Was for an ACR ResQLink. Its only for a couple of 18650 batteries so not exactly rocket surgery.
iGBH
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Victoria

Postby philm » Wed 13 Jan, 2021 1:17 pm

Interesting but I think you will find if they are not replaced by an authorised party then the manufacturer may not stand by the replacement. Worse still the unit may not function correctly for the certified length of time in an emergency which I understand is 24 hours.
I’d prefer to be sure that the unit was going to operate in the event of an emergency rather than be too concerned with the price of replacing the batteries.
philm
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby iGBH » Wed 13 Jan, 2021 7:44 pm

philm wrote:Interesting but I think you will find if they are not replaced by an authorised party then the manufacturer may not stand by the replacement. Worse still the unit may not function correctly for the certified length of time in an emergency which I understand is 24 hours.
I’d prefer to be sure that the unit was going to operate in the event of an emergency rather than be too concerned with the price of replacing the batteries.

LOL, well aware of that.
As i said, it is replacing a couple of 18650 batteries. If paying someone 'authorised' to do this helps you sleep better at night then go for it.
iGBH
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby phs » Wed 13 Jan, 2021 11:56 pm

Thanks iGbh

I’ll give them a go, no other alternative other than tossing it and that’s just wasteful
They have a test function to confirm it works ect, you just need to hope they use suitable batteries as replacements
phs
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby Lophophaps » Thu 18 Mar, 2021 5:33 pm

My Ocean Signal Rescueme PLB1 battery is nearing the end if it's life. I could not find an official Australian outlet to put a new battery in the PLB. The closest I could find is NZ, with a few local possibles. None have prices, although it seems that the cost is around $280, rather a lot given that a new PLB1 is $320. Ocean Signal in the UK is in pandemic mode, will take a while to reply.

Was Sakkara Tech, recommended above a few years ago, does not seem to be able to install a new PLB1 battery
https://powerpackedbatteries.com/pp-wp/

Lusty and Blundell are in NZ
https://www.lusty-blundell.co.nz/

https://beacons.amsa.gov.au/maintenance/servicing.asp

Can anyone advise
1 Is there an Australian company that is an official Ocean Signal battery changer?
2 How much will this cost?
3 Is it better to get a new model rather than replace the battery?
Lophophaps
Auctorita modica
Auctorita modica

Postby FatCanyoner » Thu 18 Mar, 2021 5:44 pm

All Sat Communications is the Australian distributor for Ocean Signal. Try giving them a call re Australian battery replacement. If anyone knows, they will.

https://allsat.com.au/
FatCanyoner
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: www.FatCanyoners.org www.CanyonGear.com.au

Postby Nuts » Thu 18 Mar, 2021 6:26 pm

This one; viewtopic.php?f=21&t=31259&p=395009&hilit=PLB#p395009

The folks mentioned above wouldn't deal with it other than through the original seller (who may or may not be much help) but a day can be a lifetime for gear businesses.

Let's know how it goes.
Nuts
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Tasmania

Postby Nuts » Thu 18 Mar, 2021 6:48 pm

iGBH wrote:
philm wrote:Interesting but I think you will find if they are not replaced by an authorised party then the manufacturer may not stand by the replacement. Worse still the unit may not function correctly for the certified length of time in an emergency which I understand is 24 hours.

LOL, well aware of that.
As i said, it is replacing a couple of 18650 batteries. If paying someone 'authorised' to do this helps you sleep better at night then go for it.

I'm no expert here, all I know has been picked up in the past few years of playing around with & building ebike batteries.

The two main concerns of service from a random ebayer or someone not authorised:
*The 18650 cells are notorious for fakers, even cells labelled Samsung or Panasonic could be partially filled with sand (and still 'work')
*For reliability, cell connection needs to be TAB welded, not soldered (tab dearer setup and takes some skill)
Nuts
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Tasmania

Postby ofuros » Thu 18 Mar, 2021 7:51 pm

Lophophaps wrote:My Ocean Signal Rescueme PLB1 battery is nearing the end if it's life. I could not find an official Australian outlet to put a new battery in the PLB. The closest I could find is NZ, with a few local possibles. None have prices, although it seems that the cost is around $280, rather a lot given that a new PLB1 is $320. Ocean Signal in the UK is in pandemic mode, will take a while to reply.

Was Sakkara Tech, recommended above a few years ago, does not seem to be able to install a new PLB1 battery
https://powerpackedbatteries.com/pp-wp/

Lusty and Blundell are in NZ
https://www.lusty-blundell.co.nz/

https://beacons.amsa.gov.au/maintenance/servicing.asp

Can anyone advise
1 Is there an Australian company that is an official Ocean Signal battery changer?
2 How much will this cost?
3 Is it better to get a new model rather than replace the battery?

Allsat in Victoria gave me the RescueMe PLB1 replacement battery quote in my post above.
2yr old info though...would have risen alittle by now.
Mountain views are good for my soul...& getting to them is good for my waistline !
https://ofuros.exposure.co/
ofuros
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Queensland

Postby Lord Backcountry » Fri 19 Mar, 2021 11:42 am

PLB battery replacement really irks me.

My other passion is diving. This includes deep decompression dives with mixed gases on my back plus a pony with 90% oxygen to breath off at the 5 metre mark. I following the decompression depths and times off my dive computer(s), so its rather crucial to remaining alive. Yet I change the battery myself for $8 in the time it takes to drink a beer.

As for PLBs, maybe Battery World is an option.

[For the record I have a PLB1 which is a delight].

cheers

LBC
Lord Backcountry
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: Australia

Postby robsax » Sun 13 Feb, 2022 8:01 pm

Looking for help to revive my PLB
After activating my KTI beacon on a trip a while back (all folks involved are now ok, another life saved by S&R), I've been looking into options for replacement of the unit or ideally, batteries.
Battery replacement was a service available until recently through KTI, but a reply email from them indicated that they are no longer in business! A damn shame to lose another Australian business and I guess this spells the end for a solid option amongst available beacons.

Excerpt from email (info@kti.com.au) :
"This email address is no longer being used. KTI has ceased operations and battery replacement, re-coding and other services are no longer available. Warranty claims can only be processed via your retailer."

So... what are my options, if any, for getting this PLB back into action? Is this the end of the road for my PLB?
I'm aware of the DIY possibilities but not confident about doing this myself, let alone trusting said beacon in the field thereafter.
Rob
robsax
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby Lophophaps » Mon 14 Feb, 2022 6:12 am

KTI ceased trading about a year ago. It may be possible to get a new battery from another source, but this may not work when you need it most. A year ago, most retailers did not know what to do. A new PLB may be indicated. The Ocean Rescue PLB1 is probably the smallest and lightest. There is probably no warranty aspect for a new battery.
Lophophaps
Auctorita modica
Auctorita modica

Postby ofuros » Fri 28 Oct, 2022 1:36 pm

Just had the battery replaced on my rescueMe Plb1...includes GPS test, device inspection, new seals, hydrostatic test, electronic counter & function test, software update, return postage.

$195 or roughly $28 per year over the next 7years of battery life. Cheap insurance. :wink:

https://allsat.com.au/
Australian distributor
Mountain views are good for my soul...& getting to them is good for my waistline !
ofuros
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby michael_p » Fri 28 Oct, 2022 5:08 pm

Allsat did a battery replacement for a Plb1 I sent them during the Melbourne lockdown. They also had battery supply problems as the batteries come from the UK. Even with all the problems they encountered they got the battery replacement done as quickly as they possibly could. Happy with the result.

Michael.
One foot in front of the other.
michael_p
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby ofuros » Fri 28 Oct, 2022 6:22 pm

Yes, fine service & communication...5 working day turnaround for mine.
They had a recent delivery of batteries.
ofuros
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby scroggin » Tue 27 Dec, 2022 8:01 pm

I dont do enough hikes alone and in unfamiliar/remote areas (only times I would use a PLB) to justify $300 every 5-7 years.

I found Macpac rates quite competitive
https://www.macpac.com.au/plb-hire.html
scroggin
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Biggles » Wed 28 Dec, 2022 12:03 pm

scroggin wrote:I dont do enough hikes alone and in unfamiliar/remote areas (only times I would use a PLB) to justify $300 every 5-7 years.

??
No need to replace a PLB for $300 every 5-7 years. Where did you get that info from?
Once bought, that's it, all it needs is occasional testing and battery replacement (~7 years). Treat it as a valuable asset. I don't walk without mine, even when I go into McDonalds...

These people did my RescueMe battery replacement in early November:
https://allsat.com.au/2021/07/12/rescueme-plb-battery-replacement-information/

During the battery replacement, the beacon is given two test sequences to the AMSA (beacon registration authority), notified as tests and not emergency activations. The service came with a certificate specifying this and the next due battery service (2029).
“Is é comhrá faoin aimsir an tearmann deiridh ag an duine gan samhlaíocht.”
—Oscar Wilde, 1890.
Biggles
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Warin » Wed 28 Dec, 2022 1:51 pm

scroggin wrote:I dont do enough hikes alone and in unfamiliar/remote areas (only times I would use a PLB)

Humm ' remote' meaning anywhere there is not cell phone coverage? You may need to use a PLB when there is no cell phone coverage, thus this definition of 'remote'.

scroggin wrote: to justify $300 every 5-7 years.

$30 for 3 days ... so 10 trips of 3 days over 7 years and you have paid to purchase a PLB going by those rates.

I do take your point... if you keep to places with good cell phone coverage you don't need a PLB ... provided your cell phone does not run out of charge.
Warin
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Previous

Return to Techno-Babble