PLB Battery Replacement. Is it worth it?

For all high tech electronic equipment including GPS, PLB, chargers, phones, computers, software. Discussion of simple electrical devices such as torches, belongs in the main 'Equipment' forum.

Re: PLB Battery Replacement. Is it worth it?

Postby GPSGuided » Thu 29 Sep, 2016 6:51 pm

Looks like home battery replacement would run foul with AMSA's registration requirement.

http://beacons.amsa.gov.au/maintenance/

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Just move it!
GPSGuided
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: New South Wales

Postby Bill P » Thu 29 Sep, 2016 8:00 pm

Yes GPSguided, but , I cannot believe AMSA would refuse to acknowledge and respond to a correctly activated beacon, on the basis that they think the PLB suppliers recommended battery replacement interval was exceeded, or that a diy battery replacement was done.

Bill P
Bill P
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby GPSGuided » Thu 29 Sep, 2016 8:55 pm

I think there's regulation and there's the practical response when a beacon is detected. By regulation, they can not register a PLB/EPIRB if any maintenance was not handled by a certified agent. You know how inflexible some regulations are, some for good reasons to avoid errors.
Just move it!
GPSGuided
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby tonystott » Thu 13 Apr, 2017 2:56 pm

north-north-west wrote:
Bill P wrote:The Australian agents for Kannad advised me today, that the solution to battery replacement is to buy a complete new unit at a discounted rate from them.

I've never considered the PLB unit as disposable- in fact I haven't even used it yet!

The solution to battery replacement (with some brands) is to get yourself into a situation when you need to activate the PLB. Many manufacturers and distributors will replace the unit free of charge after a valid activation.
I must stress the 'valid'. They will ask for a report from you as to how and why the unit was activated, and check with the relevant SAR group that it was warranted.

You may have been making a poor attempt at humour (I really hope so), as otherwise you are advocating abusing the nation's rescue capabilities, both at the government level and volunteer level. Your highly irresponsible "advice" could put others' lives at risk.

You may have posted many times to this forum, but clearly you have not learned how to behave like an adult.
tonystott
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby Gadgetgeek » Thu 13 Apr, 2017 7:30 pm

As a thought, while off the shelf batteries are cheap, the cost of failure as it were is rather low. I would not be surprised to find that PLB batteries went through an additional QC process, or were otherwise somewhat different. Not a massive cost, but still a consideration. Then factor a couple hours of a technician viewing the board under magnification to look for crystallization of the tin solder connections, pressure testing, and the like? I'm sure the cost is justifiable to a certain degree, given that they probably expect the purchaser to replace it rather than refurbish.

Tony, there is more history there, much much more.I wouldn't worry about it, best to get to know people before jumping to too many conclusions, its a small group here, and from time to time it can get a bit snippy, but that's the nature of text only communication.
Gadgetgeek
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Queensland

Postby NathanaelB » Mon 08 Jan, 2018 3:11 pm

Whoops, I thought my battery was due for replacement this year but the label says Feb 2017 so I best get onto that. Have called Survitec/RFD but the person I spoke to didn't know so waiting on a call back. If they can't do it (which means no longer a service agent at all for McMurdo in Australia) then I won't mind too much so then I can upgrade to a Garmin inReach :D
NathanaelB
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Australian Capital Territory

Postby Neo » Mon 08 Jan, 2018 11:06 pm

Twice in a row I've been to the motor registry to renew my drivers license. Twice in a row I've been caught out early. Have always had a one year licence but must have lashed out on a three year-a. Still not due until late 2018!
Neo
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby NathanaelB » Tue 09 Jan, 2018 11:23 am

I got a reply from Renee at Survitec in Sydney - the cost to replace the battery in my McMurdo FastFind 211 PLB is $203.50 incl GST and return postage.
NathanaelB
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby NathanaelB » Tue 09 Jan, 2018 11:25 am

However I decided to upgrade to the inReach so I have a FastFind in need of a new battery if anyone wants it, I'll post on the buy/sell thread.
NathanaelB
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby andrewa » Tue 09 Jan, 2018 1:25 pm

I'll be interested to see how you find the Inreach. Was contemplating one, and then decided just to hire an Iridium Go for a trip to NZ in Feb. are you using it just in Oz, or overseas as well? My main issue was the satellite plans - fine if you could just purchase a sim as required, but the only ones I could find were a month by month, which could be deactivated at an ongoing $6.95/month cost, and which expired after a month, whether you used them or not, the latter bit being the irritating part.
andrewa
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: None
Region: Victoria

Postby NathanaelB » Tue 09 Jan, 2018 4:06 pm

Yeah the satellite plans has been a reason I've avoided these sorts of devices for years but there's been more than enough times where being able to msg my wife would have been really handy to give progress updates, changes to plan, expected ETA etc. Will be 80% in Oz but in NZ too when we both travel together and can msg her family especially as my wife has a disability that poses a risk to getting back to base safely on time.
NathanaelB
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby neilmny » Sat 02 Jun, 2018 5:47 pm

neilmny wrote:Maybe base it on cost and how long the battery life (in years) is after the replacement.
The GME MT410G units have a 7 year battery life but are heavier.
The RESQLINK looks good too for about the same price and have a 6 year from manufacture battery life.
The Fastfind seems much more expensive to buy.

Just discovered something very interesting when checking if my AMSA registration was current on my GME.
Where the registartion used to show expiry of useful life was 2019 (7 years) it now shows expiry will be March 2020.
Looking at the actual unit it is tagged as good to March 2020 (obviously unless it gets activated).

Was the original 7 years an AMSA thing?

Realistically one should use the self test function before heading off into the sticks just to make sure all is in good nick.......I have always done this but specially now the unit is beyond the half way mark of the useful life span.
neilmny
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Gadgetgeek » Sat 02 Jun, 2018 6:49 pm

Where I work, we picked up an explorer to possibly replace our spots, gps, and satphones. Over the next couple months I'll hopefully be able to see how it works and I'll let you know.
Gadgetgeek
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby GPSGuided » Sat 02 Jun, 2018 7:20 pm

neilmny wrote:Was the original 7 years an AMSA thing?

I doubt it. These thing would go by some industry standard that’s worldwide than be dictated by our tiny market.

On the self-test thing, I’d be a little concerned about the dependability of such tests after 7 years of effective storage and would go for a new unit if one’s life depends on it for a full 24hrs of transmitting capability.
Just move it!
GPSGuided
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Bushman_Craig » Mon 18 Jun, 2018 10:59 pm

NathanaelB wrote:I got a reply from Renee at Survitec in Sydney - the cost to replace the battery in my McMurdo FastFind 211 PLB is $203.50 incl GST and return postage.

That's not terrible. If they had bothered replying to me I would definitely have gone that way rather than purchasing a new KTI PLB.

Which reminds me, I haven't yet gotten around to getting rid of my battery-expired McMurdo Fastfind 211. I understand I have to get it de-registered through AMSA, but what then? Take a sledgehammer to it or sell it? Decisions, decisions...
Bushman_Craig
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby Moondog55 » Wed 20 Feb, 2019 3:43 pm

I know this is an old thread but did anybody ever get a current price on PLB battery replacement?
To make Cecile happy and hopefully stop her worrying too much I just bought a S/H PLB. Price was reasonable given it only has 2 years of nominal life left in the battery pack.
I have telephone d the two places I found that do replacements on the RescueLink but both said I had to fill in the on-line form and wait for a quote.
Ve are too soon old und too late schmart
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby ofuros » Wed 20 Feb, 2019 5:15 pm

This answer doesn't help with your latest question, Moondog55...but...

RescueMe Plb1...$160 includes battery replacement, unit check + return postage.
Or $23 per year for next 7years of battery life.
Last edited by ofuros on Thu 21 Feb, 2019 1:29 am, edited 2 times in total.
Mountain views are good for my soul...& getting to them is good for my waistline !
https://ofuros.exposure.co/
ofuros
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby crollsurf » Wed 20 Feb, 2019 7:29 pm

Just test it before a walk. You got 2 years left and that would be a conservative life expectancy.

When I looked into it, replacing the battery wasn't a whole lot cheaper than buying a new one because they do a lot more than just replace the battery.

Shame it ends up in landfill though

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk
crollsurf
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Moondog55 » Wed 20 Feb, 2019 9:32 pm

$160- to add another 7 years would be reasonable, if I can still hobble in another 7 years; that is $120- to test the unit as the battery pack seems to be about $30- at Jaycar when they have stocks Battery World may still spot weld battery packs too.
$160/7 is about what I paid for the unit with its two years of life left
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Huntsman247 » Wed 20 Feb, 2019 9:34 pm

Resqlink will give you a new device if you use it. Just break a leg every 5 years. [WINKING FACE]
Huntsman247
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Postby Moondog55 » Thu 21 Feb, 2019 3:11 pm

There is a mob in SA called SakkaraTech that I just found courtesy of a mate, they will do a battery pack replacement for $68- pus postage. I just asked if they are registered with AMSA and I am waiting for a reply. If they are registered it is a no-brainer
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby crollsurf » Wed 27 Feb, 2019 7:00 pm

Moondog55 wrote:There is a mob in SA called SakkaraTech that I just found courtesy of a mate, they will do a battery pack replacement for $68- pus postage. I just asked if they are registered with AMSA and I am waiting for a reply. If they are registered it is a no-brainer
Hi Moondog, did they ever get back to you on that?

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk
crollsurf
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Pteropus » Fri 18 Oct, 2019 9:45 am

My ACR ResQLink battery has ‘expired’ and requires replacement for reregistration. I called a local ACR dealer, asking about replacement batteries, and the dealer told me straight up it isn’t worth while replacing batteries because it’s cost prohibitive, where it costs more than a new unit. Partly because they need to ship the thing to Sydney as ‘Dangerous goods’, because it has lithium batteries inside.

This strikes me as BS. After all, the Aust. Post regulation, as far as I can tell, indicates that for postage, “…batteries or cells must be installed in a device…”, and the PLB is sealed, plus I can order a whole bunch of things with lithium batteries and even lithium batteries over the internet and have them posted to me with no dramas. I can even take my PLB with me on an aircraft. So what’s the deal? Built in obsolescence or a simple sales pitch to buy a new one?

Assuming I can ship the thing, can anyone recommend a certified ACR ResQLink battery replacement service?

Advice would be nice.
Pteropus
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Australia

Postby Nuts » Fri 18 Oct, 2019 10:02 am

Tried these guys? https://www.redbaronalse.com.au/product ... placement/

(no personal experience with them)
Nuts
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Tasmania

Postby Pteropus » Fri 18 Oct, 2019 10:04 am

THanks Nuts, they were the one mob I found who does ACR, and am going to contact them.
Pteropus
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby lexx_au » Fri 18 Oct, 2019 10:06 am

Can you post back with the price please?
lexx_au
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby Pteropus » Mon 21 Oct, 2019 8:23 pm

lexx_au wrote:Can you post back with the price please?

If I receive an answer, I surely will.
Pteropus
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Kickinghorse » Sat 26 Oct, 2019 12:06 pm

Understand some of us are keen to save money re a battery replacement and not sure what ACR will charge for this service but having said that a new unit works out to be pretty cheap insurance.
Recently bought a KTI Safety Alert for $240, which works out to around $34 a year over the 7 year stated life of the battery.
I personally would be thinking about trying to do this myself to save a few bucks, the consequences could be dire.
Anyway I still have my superseded ACR Rescue Link if anyone would like it gratis. Not sure of process of re re registering it etc.
If no one can find a use I will return it to ACR as wouldn’t like the thought of it going into landfill.
PM me if interested

Kickinghorse
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: South Australia

Postby Kickinghorse » Sat 26 Oct, 2019 12:38 pm

P.S just realised the KTI has a 10 Year Battery Life.
That’s about $24 a year!
Phil
Kickinghorse
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: South Australia

Postby phs » Tue 12 Jan, 2021 5:38 pm

Any one know of ACR ResQlink agent to replace a battery in Melbourne, Can’t stand the idea of tossing the whole beacon just because it needs a new battery very waste full

I did contact the place I purchased it from they passed on the recommendation replacement place from ACR but after numerous attempts to get some info they don’t seem to care much

Any leads would be good
phs
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

PreviousNext

Return to Techno-Babble