OSM maps for Garmin GPS

For all high tech electronic equipment including GPS, PLB, chargers, phones, computers, software. Discussion of simple electrical devices such as torches, belongs in the main 'Equipment' forum.

Re: OSM maps for Garmin GPS

Postby Andrew P » Sun 14 Nov, 2021 11:05 am

Biggles wrote:
andrewp wrote:Hi all,
Link(s)?

The usual. Waaaay back in the first post (Aug 2011), andrewp (not me, the newer, more productive, andrewp) said:
The link to get the maps is http://tiny.cc/osm-maps.

Worthwhile mentioning again...
Andrew P
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: Australian Capital Territory

Postby bernieq » Sun 14 Nov, 2021 11:59 am

Just so you know, the link is in the original post (ie page 1)

We are responsible for the health of the planet - not it for ours
bernieq
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Region: Victoria

Postby andrewp » Mon 21 Feb, 2022 7:53 am

Hi all,

New version of all maps.

- New OSM data.
    - Removed add-pois-to-areas in mkgmap, because it was causing numerous blue-dots in QMapShack. E.g. dams, small islands in lakes.
    - Changed draw order of 0x53 (island) to 2 so that it sits below other polygons like wood, scrub etc, which are set as 3.
    - Rebuilt VICMAP roads with footpaths named as 'Xxx Track' now correctly marked as dots. I.e not converted into a 4wd track with a dashed brown line.
andrewp
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby sodahiker » Fri 01 Apr, 2022 7:44 am

Thanks Andrew, I really appreciate these maps. I loaded them onto my Garmin Fenix 5 and because of the smaller file size they render fast and correctly. Awesome to have the contour lines built in. I tried a bunch of other sites with varying degrees of success but none as good as yours, keep up the great work!
sodahiker
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Region: Tasmania

Postby electricmonk » Thu 19 May, 2022 11:10 pm

This is so fantastic. I recently picked up an eTrex 32x in order to have a backup to the ol' smartphone so this is very useful.

I have one question: would one usually turn on both the VICMAP and OSM-VIC layers at once? Or do they have different strengths/applications?
electricmonk
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby andrewp » Fri 20 May, 2022 3:12 pm

electricmonk wrote:I have one question: would one usually turn on both the VICMAP and OSM-VIC layers at once?

No. Which ever map loads on top would be basically all you would see. I have 2 profiles - 1 for OSM and 1 for VicMap. I don't use the VicMap one very often. OSM tracks are generally more accurate and correct. Sometimes it is good to see what is on VicMaps, especially in state forests.
andrewp
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby RonPNW » Thu 15 Sep, 2022 6:54 pm

Fantastic map collection, thank you.

Re Garmin DriveSmart 65 (and other drivesmart products)
The *filename*.img is not recognized when the miniSD is installed. Change the name to gmapprom.img and it will be recognized. I have only tried one map (OSM.AU.QLD) so I do not know how to deal with additional map files.

Using the OSM.img files in BaseCamp on the MAC.
I tried the downloaded .img file on the hard drive, on a USB drive, on my connected drivesmart 65 (while it is recognized on the drive smart) and using the disk image method using the disk loader and can not get my version (the latest, 4.8.12) of BaseCamp to recognize / open the map.
Are there any other methods to open the data in Basecamp? What am I doing wrong?

Thanx
Ron
RonPNW
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Region: Other Country

Postby bernieq » Fri 16 Sep, 2022 8:41 am

Hi Ron,

Older GPSs were only able to recognise two maps (gmapprom and gmapsupp - or something like that (relying on memory :)). I suspect the Smart Drive is similarly limited (not so smart?). edit : you could also try gmapprom1, gmapbmap, gmapoem

Current Garmin GPSs are able to recognise multiple maps(*.img) as long as they are in a \garmin folder (either in the device's memory or on an SD)

So, a bit of a pain but you should be able to swap maps in and out simply by renaming them - but you would appear to be limited to 1 (or maybe 2) maps at a time.

BTW, Andrewp's maps are not routable (can't be used for auto-navigation).

For Basecamp to recognise maps, they need to be on a removable drive and in a \garmin folder. Create a garmin folder on a removable drive and just copy all the *.img files into it. Then start Basecamp (the removable drive needs to be mounted/available when Basecamp starts).

bernieq

Postby RonPNW » Fri 16 Sep, 2022 8:59 am

Thanx for looking at this.
I tried that, in several different ways and just tried it again with no success.
I wonder if there is a different version of basecamp in Australia? Also, are you on a Mac or a PC? It could be a Mac thing.

Thanx
RonPNW
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby bernieq » Fri 16 Sep, 2022 9:47 am

My Basecamp is on a PC.

I guess it could be a Mac thing but unlikely, I would think - it's a fairly basic function.

The garmin folder must be at root of the removable drive - can't be inside another folder. Basecamp must not be running when you mount the drive.

Unlikely but *.img files can be interpreted as disk image files and blocked by AV software.
Do you have any other maps you access through Basecamp? What are they & where are they stored?
Is the garmin Basecamp forum still functional? Perhaps ask there.
Alternatively, qmapshack is an open source qgis software package - quite powerful but a bit of a steep learning curve.

bernieq

Postby bernieq » Fri 16 Sep, 2022 11:10 am

... and, if you're still having problems, don't have the garmin smart drive (GSD) connected.

Disconnect GSD, restart Mac, plug in removable drive (with *.img files in garmin folder), start Basecamp

bernieq

Postby north-north-west » Sun 18 Sep, 2022 7:57 am

bernieq wrote:For Basecamp to recognise maps, they need to be on a removable drive and in a \garmin folder. Create a garmin folder on a removable drive and just copy all the *.img files into it. Then start Basecamp (the removable drive needs to be mounted/available when Basecamp starts).

You mean I can just load them all onto one of my external HDDs and not have to plug in the GPS itself when using BaseCamp? Because that would make life soooo much easier.
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Social Misfits Anonymous

Postby bernieq » Sun 18 Sep, 2022 8:18 am

Yes :idea: :D

I have them on a memory stick, but any removable drive will work. Just ensure the drive is mounted before starting Basecamp. It searches for maps only on launch. I ensure the gps is not connected.

bernieq

Postby RonPNW » Thu 22 Sep, 2022 4:57 pm

On *.img maps on Garmin devices and basecamp.

I was able to load 5 **.img files into the DriveSmart 65 using the microSD using the name gmapsupp*.img
On my 66i i needed to use the name gmapprom*.img
Basecamp does not recognize the 66i
When the 65 in connected to the laptop, basecamp will recognize and use the maps in the 65 microSD.
I could find no combination of names or procedures to get basecamp to recognize the .img files on an external SSD or the internal files system.

It works well enough. Could and should be better.
Thanx for the help
Ron
RonPNW
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby bernieq » Thu 22 Sep, 2022 6:00 pm

Hi Ron, at least you have something working. I've had a look through the Basecamp forum but no mention of an issue with Macs & finding maps on SSDs.

With a Mac, you could create a virtual drive and copy the maps to it. Have a look at this link https://www.javawa.nl/virtualdevice.html There is a MacOS section at the bottom (with another link to JaVaWa Device Manager, which might make the file copying easier).

However, the external SSD should work. Want to try again?

1. restart the computer & ensure Basecamp not running and the SSD is mounted.
2. ensure *.img files are in a folder named garmin on the SSD (if not, copy them to the garmin folder on the SSD)
(BTW, the *.img files can have any name eg OSM-AU-NSW.img Probably best not to use spaces in the name. The naming limits only apply to some Garmin devices)
2. ensure no Garmin devices are connected to the computer
3. start Basecamp - it should find the maps automatically.

When in Basecamp, this is what I see when selecting MAPS/Manage Map Products
Untitled.jpg
List of maps showing SSD location H:\garmin\
Untitled.jpg (106.64 KiB) Viewed 13185 times

bernieq

Postby RonPNW » Thu 22 Sep, 2022 7:07 pm

So I tried again with several variations on names and procedure with no luck.
When I plug the 65 in, Basecamp recognizes the maps on the SSD that is in the 65.

Just odd.
Thanx
RonPNW
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby bernieq » Thu 22 Sep, 2022 7:10 pm

One last idea - what is the SSD you are using? Do you have a(nother) memory stick (usb flash drive) that you can use?

bernieq

Postby RonPNW » Fri 23 Sep, 2022 7:31 am

Tried Lexar and SanDisk, USB and plug in SSD. Just tried an older Cruiser 1GB USB (a big deal back in the day), with no luck. I'm on a 2015 MacBook Pro on Catalina. I also found a place, in the original install file structure, where there are other .img files. I placed my .img file there. Also no good.

Could it be what I ate this morning?

Thanx
Ron
RonPNW
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby bernieq » Fri 23 Sep, 2022 7:51 am

Obviously above my pay grade :?

I was a Mac user before moving from education to industry (long time ago - still have a Mac SE/30 !) Since then, I've had windows systems. I can only guess there may be a mismatch between the current Basecamp & and your older Mac O/S.

bernieq

Postby liittlepeaa » Sat 07 Jan, 2023 5:57 pm

Hi everyone,

I have a question using Andrew's OSM maps in Basecamp.

Firstly, the maps are amazing and thank you Andrew for all the work you've put in to maintain these.

I had a question regarding these maps and Basecamp. I've noticed that I can't search for POI's using the search bar in the top right-hand corner of Basecamp, even though they are marked on the map. The search function does work correctly for the TopoActive maps included with my GPSMAP 65S.

Am I doing something wrong here or can you not search for POIs when viewing Andrew's OSM maps?

Thanks.
liittlepeaa
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Region: New South Wales

Postby dazz1975 » Sun 08 Jan, 2023 9:57 am

I have been using Andrews OSM maps for a while. How often are they updated? They are easy to download and install. Big thanks to Andrew.
dazz1975
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Region: Queensland

Postby andrewp » Sun 08 Jan, 2023 4:49 pm

Hi liittlepeaa

Sorry, but I don't build any indexes for my maps. I don't really see the value in them. I don't use Basecamp and the program I do use doesn't have any searching functions.

Cheers
Andrew
andrewp
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby liittlepeaa » Sun 08 Jan, 2023 9:50 pm

Hi Andrew,

Thank you for confirming this. I'm new to Basecamp and thought I was doing something wrong!
liittlepeaa
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Region: New South Wales

Postby CoreyS83 » Tue 21 Feb, 2023 7:32 pm

Hi everyone,

Just wondering if there is a link on how to install Andrews OSM maps to my garmin? Is it as simple as dropping the .img file into the custom maps folder on the unit??

Thanks
CoreyS83
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby bernieq » Wed 22 Feb, 2023 7:23 pm

Copy the *.img files into the \garmin folder on either the internal memory or the sd card.

One caveat; older garmin devices can only access maps with a specific name - if your device is one of these, read your documentation.

bernieq

Postby andrewp » Wed 22 Feb, 2023 8:22 pm

Hi CoreyS83,

Bernieq is correct for the installation instructions.

In the download folder for my maps the file Mapinfo.txt has download and installation instuctions.
andrewp
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby sodahiker » Fri 23 Jun, 2023 10:08 am

Hi Andrew

Thanks again for the excellent maps. I've found that in Tasmania my Garmin Fenix does not draw the track on the map correctly. It's weird because the GPS signal is accurate but the red line that shows where I've run/walked is always just a straight line, it never actually tracks me.

This hasn't ever happened in NSW so I wonder if there's something about the Tasmania map that might be different? I don't think I've changed any settings on my watch, but maybe ... just trying to diagnose this ... when the activity imports into Strava it shows a correct track, it's just during the activity that I can see my position on the map is accurate but the line drawns in not correct
sodahiker
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

OSM maps for Garmin GPS

Postby ChrisJHC » Fri 23 Jun, 2023 5:50 pm

That sounds like a sampling rate issue.
The GPS just draws a straight line between samples so the more samples you get, the more accurate the track will be.

A far-fetched idea is that you’ve set your GPS to a system that doesn’t have great coverage as you go further south. Baidou/Gallileo/GLONASS?
ChrisJHC

Postby sodahiker » Sun 25 Jun, 2023 9:50 pm

Thanks for the reply! I did finally get it working by doing a "gps soak" which I read about online. Now for the first time in Tas it's actually drawn a track. Thanks anyway, nothing wrong with the maps.
sodahiker
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby Biggles » Mon 26 Jun, 2023 1:30 pm

sodahiker wrote:Hi Andrew

Thanks again for the excellent maps. I've found that in Tasmania my Garmin Fenix does not draw the track on the map correctly. It's weird because the GPS signal is accurate but the red line that shows where I've run/walked is always just a straight line, it never actually tracks me.

This hasn't ever happened in NSW so I wonder if there's something about the Tasmania map that might be different? I don't think I've changed any settings on my watch, but maybe ... just trying to diagnose this ... when the activity imports into Strava it shows a correct track, it's just during the activity that I can see my position on the map is accurate but the line drawns in not correct

A GPS is never 100% accurate, and cannot be. At best, it is a very good guide! Dilution of Signal — the time it takes for the position to be related to the satellite, the satellite to process the signal then correlate position and send it back to earth means there are variations in accuracy (often BIG variations), made worse in situations where the sky coverage is occluded or baseline mapping information itself is incorrect. Accuracy may be improved by increasing the interval of breadcrumbs along the track, and the price you pay for this is potentially less space for the route and battery power. A GPS unit using all 3 satellite types, which incidentally provides the highest amount of tracking and ground-level accuracy but it will still be affected by DoS, and will also drain the unit's batteries. Where I am in country Victoria GPS tracking is accurate enough for me to go out in the dark, trackless cross-country on a walk and be able to navigate back home, assisted by the maximum number of breadcrumbs along the route. I only use the OSM maps; I consider them much more comprehensive and useful than for example VicMap. And several magnitudes of order better than Garmin's own peculiar maps!
“Is é comhrá faoin aimsir an tearmann deiridh ag an duine gan samhlaíocht.”
—Oscar Wilde, 1890.
Biggles
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

PreviousNext

Return to Techno-Babble