OSM maps for Garmin GPS

For all high tech electronic equipment including GPS, PLB, chargers, phones, computers, software. Discussion of simple electrical devices such as torches, belongs in the main 'Equipment' forum.

OSM maps for Garmin GPS

Postby andrewp » Thu 06 Dec, 2018 7:08 pm

I thought I'd create a new topic to use for posting updates to my OSM maps for Garmin GPS.

The link to get the maps is http://tiny.cc/osm-maps.

I have just updated all the maps. They are based on OSM data fro 26 Nov 2018.

I have recently got hold of the SA maps contours, so this SA version now has good contours and watercourses. I.e. they should match the printed map sheets.
andrewp
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Victoria

Re: OSM maps for Garmin GPS

Postby bernieq » Fri 07 Dec, 2018 6:19 pm

Thank you andrewp :D

BTW, 'download all' doesn't seem to work (tries to zip the files and just sits after the first txt file). Maybe it gets hung up on virus checking the img files (which it can't do).

So, download each file individually (and click through the 'can't scan' warning).

We are responsible for the health of the planet - not it for ours
bernieq
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Postby keithy » Sun 09 Dec, 2018 2:40 am

Thanks for updating Andrew. I have gotten so lazy in making maps for the Garmin since I started using your OSM and contours. I reckon its now over 3 years since I've made Aust maps for my Garmin!
keithy

Region: Other Country

Postby Graham17 » Sun 30 Dec, 2018 6:51 am

Last edited by Graham17 on Sun 30 Dec, 2018 12:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Graham17
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Region: Tasmania

Postby andrewp » Sun 30 Dec, 2018 7:35 am

Maps have been updated with OSM data from 27 Dec 2018.

Also have made the outline of residential/service roads darker. The fill is white and sometimes difficult to see on the screen.
andrewp
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby peregrinator » Sun 30 Dec, 2018 5:19 pm

andrewp wrote:Maps have been updated with OSM data from 27 Dec 2018.

Also have made the outline of residential/service roads darker. The fill is white and sometimes difficult to see on the screen.

Thank you, andrewp; apart from anything else, I think the service roads reformat is very worthwhile. Unfortunately, I've only been able to download one map so far, so I'm not aware of any other changes. Trying to get the other maps I would use leads to a problem which has stopped me in my tracks.

I obtained VIC, then tried VICMAP, SA, NSW and NSWSIX, all individually as per bernieq's advice, each of these four on several occasions. I get an error message each time that the file cannot be opened: "no mountable file systems". I've tried rebooting. I've tried dowloading on different browsers and also after restarting from a later operating system. (I normally run Mac OS 10.10.5 as this is compatible with my version of Pro Tools, but have OS 10.13 on an external bootable drive.) Could anyone offer advice about solving this issue?
peregrinator
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby andrewp » Sun 30 Dec, 2018 8:08 pm

peregrinator wrote:I get an error message each time that the file cannot be opened: "no mountable file systems".

Is this message when you try to download, or after download has completed? Files with .img extension are also used for disk images. The error message sounds like it relates to your OS trying to open the file on your computer. It is trying to open it as a disk image, and of course fails. You can only open these files on your mac using an application like Garmin's BaseCamp.
andrewp
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby peregrinator » Mon 31 Dec, 2018 10:33 am

andrewp wrote:
peregrinator wrote:I get an error message each time that the file cannot be opened: "no mountable file systems".

Is this message when you try to download, or after download has completed? Files with .img extension are also used for disk images. The error message sounds like it relates to your OS trying to open the file on your computer. It is trying to open it as a disk image, and of course fails. You can only open these files on your mac using an application like Garmin's BaseCamp.

Um, yes, you have correctly identified my mistake (made after the download). I was in fact endeavouring to open them. What confused me was the process of getting the files off Google Drive, as I'd not previously messed with that, and found the minimal Help information fairly useless. And in the process completely forgot how I'd gone about copying the files successfully with your previous versions.

I've just got the SA map running in Basecamp, but have to report a flaw. Lots of roads have sections where gaps appear. I also see lacunae in some railways.
peregrinator
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby tastrax » Mon 31 Dec, 2018 3:24 pm

peregrinator wrote:I've just got the SA map running in Basecamp, but have to report a flaw. Lots of roads have sections where gaps appear. I also see lacunae in some railways.

Are the missing sections visible in OSM - any idea on how different the tags are?
Cheers - Phil

OSM Mapper
tastrax
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: RETIRED! - Parks and Wildlife Service

Postby peregrinator » Mon 31 Dec, 2018 3:46 pm

Phil, I haven't investigated GPS software beyond a very basic level. I'm not really sure what you are asking. So my response to your question is: are you referring to OSM software more broadly, not to andrewp's OSM maps specifically? If so, I have never seen or used the former because his maps are all I have needed. When they've been working correctly, that is. And I should point out that the new VIC map does not have the discontinuities exhibited in the new SA map.
peregrinator
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby tastrax » Mon 31 Dec, 2018 4:49 pm

Hi Peregrinator,

Andrew creates his maps from Open Street Map data. Each object in the map has tags added to it (ie for a road it might have Primary, secondary, tertiary etc). If you can point us to a place in open street map where there is a problem (difference between Andrews map and OSM) then we might be able to figure out why things are not correct.

head to OSM - https://www.openstreetmap.org/#map=7/-35.411/137.911

and zoom in to the problem area and send us the address (like the URL link above) and some notes on what is wrong. Let us know what is missing etc and we might be able to fix it so that next time Andrew creates his maps it will get the new updated information.

In general OSM relies on local individuals to keep the map up to date etc. Some folks have a passion for roads, others walking tracks, others businesses etc. My speciality is buildings etc in the face of natural disasters (anywhere in the world). Its a great project to be involved with and dead easy to make updates.

https://learnosm.org/en/
Cheers - Phil

OSM Mapper
tastrax
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Warin » Mon 31 Dec, 2018 5:42 pm

OSM has various Quality Assistance tools
for road classification changes http://osmose.openstreetmap.fr/en/map/# ... FFFFFFFFFT

Not certain if those are the ones peregrinator has come across? Or even if those are causing peregrinatorsproblem.

And, of course it will not be fixed untill these are edited and then the maps are updated.

---------------
Being a volunteer effort errors are bound to occur - particularly with new mappers. I keep an eye out for some of them but not all.
Last edited by Warin on Mon 31 Dec, 2018 5:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Warin
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: New South Wales

Postby peregrinator » Mon 31 Dec, 2018 5:54 pm

tastrax wrote:. . .

and zoom in to the problem area and send us the address

. . .

When I wrote "lots" I didn't try to quantify that because the more I randomly zoomed in, the more gaps I saw. There could be millions! So it's not the sort of problem that you were expecting. Perhaps it was simply a dodgy download?
peregrinator
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Warin » Mon 31 Dec, 2018 6:02 pm

peregrinator wrote:When I wrote "lots" I didn't try to quantify that because the more I randomly zoomed in, the more gaps I saw.

Give us one to look at so we can see what your talking about?

It may not be a 'problem' .. the road could have the problem - a bit that is washed away and has not been repaired and won't be repaired as the council has decided not to spend money on it. Or a section of the road is 'private'. Any number of possible causes.

peregrinator wrote:Perhaps it was simply a dodgy download?

Very doubtful. Faulty downloads will usually give all sorts of errors when you try to open them. Not data that is still usable but with organised broken bits.
Last edited by Warin on Mon 31 Dec, 2018 6:06 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Warin
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby peregrinator » Mon 31 Dec, 2018 6:04 pm

Loxton SA missing roads 20181231.tiff
peregrinator
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Warin » Mon 31 Dec, 2018 6:21 pm

peregrinator wrote:Loxton SA missing roads

OK .. I can see no reason for B57 to disappear like that .. it is there in OSM and has been there for ages. The only thing that is done is a name change on that section of road...

Does that section of B57 reappear if you zoom in .. or is it just gone?

The only recent activity has been the introduction of turn restrictions (by our American friends). That should have no impact on rendering.. Andrew?
Warin
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby andrewp » Mon 31 Dec, 2018 7:03 pm

It was a problem with the build. Not sure what happened - it's all done by a script - probably during the SA extract from Australia. I do remember cancelling during the extract, but I thought it would redo it all - so probably just missing data.
Will copy a new version up tomorrow sometime.
andrewp
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby tastrax » Mon 31 Dec, 2018 7:32 pm

Many thanks Andrew!
Cheers - Phil

OSM Mapper
tastrax
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Warin » Mon 31 Dec, 2018 7:38 pm

Thanks Andrew. :)

I only get what I am/will use .. and SA is not on my list for the moment.
Warin
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby andrewp » Tue 01 Jan, 2019 9:05 am

New version of SA uploaded today fixing the missing bits of roads.
andrewp
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby neilmny » Tue 01 Jan, 2019 9:39 am

You are providing a wonderful rescource Andrew it is much appreciated.
neilmny
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby peregrinator » Tue 01 Jan, 2019 10:04 am

andrewp wrote:New version of SA uploaded today fixing the missing bits of roads.

I hope you've kept a copy of the "missing roads, etc." file. It could be to cartography what the 1930 Australian One Penny coin is to numismatics. A great curio. I thought it looked rather beautiful in a way, with all those roads that go nowhere. And two railway lines that ought to meet, but don't quite get there. Could you actually create such a map if you tried, or is this effect only possible by accident?

Anyway, I say thanks, for your much appreciated work.
peregrinator
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby bernieq » Tue 01 Jan, 2019 8:12 pm

FYI : the 'download all' does now work.

It says 'zipping 1 file' and takes an age but it does finally complete and downloads two zip files (one with the first 8 files and the other with the remaining 2 files).

It's probably quicker to download individual files in parallel (if you have the bandwidth). Compression saves about 10%.

Thanks andrew

bernieq

Postby trekka2019 » Sat 05 Jan, 2019 6:22 pm

Hi,
I have a Garmin GPSmap 64 and am wondering, when downloading to maps onto the SD card can you have the card removed from the device and put it in your computer and transfer the files or do you need to connect the device to your computer and transfer it that way?

Cheers
trekka2019
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby neilmny » Sat 05 Jan, 2019 8:41 pm

On an Etrex Vista Hcx you create a folder called Garmin and put a file named GMAPSUPP.IMG into that folder.
neilmny
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby trekka2019 » Sun 06 Jan, 2019 7:48 am

Thanks for the advice
trekka2019
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby bernieq » Sun 06 Jan, 2019 12:57 pm

trekka2019 wrote:when downloading to maps onto the SD card can you have the card removed from the device and put it in your computer and transfer the files or do you need to connect the device to your computer
Either works but its quicker with the sd card connected to the pc.

neilmny wrote: put a file named GMAPSUPP.IMG into that folder.
The .img file can have any name (although old devices may requie the gmapsupp name). Different names allows you to have multiple maps loaded.

bernieq

Postby Kickinghorse » Tue 08 Jan, 2019 1:14 pm

Can’t heap enough praise on Andrew P for his OSM work! Have been perusing recent posts on the deficiencies of Google maps and the proponents of phone Apps etc.
Recently upgraded to a Garmin Montana 650, pretty pricey but with Andrew’s maps loaded and a screen the size of my iPhone, amazing to use.
In my opinion the man needs to be nominated for services to Oz Bushwalking. Any seconders?

Phil
Kickinghorse
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: South Australia

Postby peregrinator » Tue 08 Jan, 2019 4:49 pm

I've been singing his praises every chance I get. Give him a GPS Award, for Great Public Service.
peregrinator
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby andrewp » Wed 06 Mar, 2019 3:25 pm

Hi all,
I've just uploaded an update with the latest OSM data.
andrewp
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Next

Return to Techno-Babble