Garmin BaseCamp for Mac - 64 bit

For all high tech electronic equipment including GPS, PLB, chargers, phones, computers, software. Discussion of simple electrical devices such as torches, belongs in the main 'Equipment' forum.

Garmin BaseCamp for Mac - 64 bit

Postby GPSGuided » Wed 06 Mar, 2019 4:56 pm

Couldn't find a specific thread on this matter but thought it's important enough for Garmin and Mac users.

Despite earlier uncertainty that Garmin may not port BaseCamp to 64 bit and stay compatible with future requirements of macOS, Garmin has settled the argument and release v4.8.3 just earlier that's 64 bit. An earlier version 4.8.2 was widely reported to be buggy with its installation and startup, my first experience with 64bit version of BaseCamp through v4.8.3 is good. Installed and ran the basic functionalities fine. Given it's an early port version, guess it will have a few bugs and would be wise to run it on the latest macOS version. At least we know BaseCamp is here to stay for the foreseeable future and save our data.

https://www8.garmin.com/support/downloa ... sp?id=4449
Just move it!
GPSGuided
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: New South Wales

Re: Garmin BaseCamp for Mac - 64 bit

Postby peregrinator » Thu 01 Jul, 2021 5:13 pm

I have purchased a new Mac, running OS 11.4 (Big Sur is the oh-so-stupid name of this OS). I had been successfully using Basecamp 4.6.3 in OS 10.14. That is an unsupported 32-bit application, not compatible with OS 11.

According to Garmin's website, version 4.8.11 (presumably being 64-bit) is compatible with OS 11. But there is no comment from Garmin about whether the newest M1 Macs are compatible. However, I did see a number of user comments reporting problems. Rather than wade through pages of such comments, I'm wondering whether any forum members are up to date with this matter.

I've been very wary about upgrading Basecamp following a post here from BernieQ in 2018.

Oh yeah, I should have said - don't upgrade basecamp to 4.7. V4.6.2 is the last good version. Garmin had terminated development (afaik).
peregrinator
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Victoria

Postby bernieq » Mon 05 Jul, 2021 10:35 pm

Yes, peregrinator, I'm still wary - and still on V4.6.2 (win7+).

However, V4.7.4 (win7+) has been available for a month or so and, apparently, is OK. I'll probably leave it for another month, then look for comments and consider upgrading.

We are responsible for the health of the planet - not it for ours
bernieq
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Postby GPSGuided » Tue 06 Jul, 2021 10:57 am

Garmin has been tweaking BaseCamp on the Mac platform to keep it functional. I suspect it’ll continue for M1 Macs but has to wait.
Just move it!
GPSGuided
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: New South Wales

Postby peregrinator » Wed 01 Sep, 2021 9:34 pm

bernieq wrote:Yes, peregrinator, I'm still wary - and still on V4.6.2 (win7+).

However, V4.7.4 (win7+) has been available for a month or so and, apparently, is OK. I'll probably leave it for another month, then look for comments and consider upgrading.

Bernieq, have you seen anything persuasive regarding upgrading?

It's been so long since this issue came up, that I've now forgotten what caused the wariness in the first place! Can you remind me?
peregrinator
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby bernieq » Sat 04 Sep, 2021 10:22 pm

Can't actually remember the detail but there were a few (moderately serious) issues, if I recall correctly.

V4.7.4 doesn't seem to have raised too many issues in the Basecamp forum so I decided to update (from 4.6.2). Such fun!

I don't have a standard install - all my programs and data are on D: (keeps a clean C: for the operating system) - so I would usually manually update software and make sure it points at D: Not this time - I updated from within the application (about - install update now). Sadly, it ignored the D: app and installed a new instance on C: (and picked up a very old database). Fortunately I had a backup of the current database and the D: instance was still functional.

So, uninstalled the C: instance and tried to install from the downloaded app. No dice - the install doesn't offer a choice of location; defaults to C:

So, tried to restore the current database backup to the C: instance. No errors but when the app restarted, the old data was still there.

So, tried to export the whole collection as gpx and import into the C: instance; it imports, but all in one huge list. I had to export each list separately and import into the appropriate folders in the C: instance. I have a lot of lists!

Finally, 2 hours later, I have a C: V4.7.4 and a D: V4.6.2
I haven't tested V4.7.4 much but it seems OK. However, I'm not deleting the D: instance for quite some time!

We are responsible for the health of the planet - not it for ours
bernieq

Return to Techno-Babble