Large cotton storage bag for down sleeping bag

For all high tech electronic equipment including GPS, PLB, chargers, phones, computers, software. Discussion of simple electrical devices such as torches, belongs in the main 'Equipment' forum.

Large cotton storage bag for down sleeping bag

Postby gbagua » Wed 12 Jun, 2019 10:23 pm

One of my bags was sold without an extra storage bag and I'm having trouble finding a place that sells large cotton (or any other breathable material) bags.

It would be great if anyone can hint me a source either online or a physical store.

Cheers!
gbagua
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Region: Queensland

Re: Large cotton storage bag for down sleeping bag

Postby keithy » Thu 13 Jun, 2019 1:25 am

A few of the bigger brands have storage sacks but they are not the cheapest, like:

https://www.mont.com.au/sleeping-bag-storage-sack
https://www.amazon.com.au/Equinox-Sleep ... B001TESH9W
https://enlightenedequipment.com/storage-sack/

On the cheaper side, look for cotton laundry bags with drawstrings. Here's a laundry bag from google's first page result for an AU store https://thebeachpeople.com.au/products/ ... aundry-bag. I can't remember what other types of stores I've seen them in. Ikea has only a polyester laundry bag but it is a 60L capacity.https://www.ikea.com/au/en/catalog/products/80329951/

Or use a large pillow case and sew a drawstring loop on the opening.

Alternatively look at mesh stuff sacks if your sleeping bag will fit. I use an old Mountain Designs XXL sized one (about 35L from memory) for my Cumulus Liteline 300 down sleeping bag. My heavier winter down bag lives in a 60L stuff bag.

I've actually misplaced the compression stuffsack for my Cumulus Liteline, so I'm looking for a lightweight replacement now.
keithy

Region: Other Country

Postby Rosscodj » Thu 13 Jun, 2019 8:08 am

You could try Mike who makes and sells quilts via this forum. Maybe send him a PM from this thread: http://bushwalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=24995
Rosscodj
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: New South Wales

Postby Heremeahappy1 » Thu 13 Jun, 2019 8:45 am

Maybe an old sheet (re-purpose instead of landfill) or op shop bought, cut a rectangle, sew a couple sides and a hem for drawstring. Put away the wallet, creator vs consumer, go low-fi and if you cant sew, a great small project to build a new skill.
Heremeahappy1
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Victoria

Postby Rosscodj » Thu 13 Jun, 2019 9:00 am

Heremeahappy1 wrote:Maybe an old sheet (re-purpose instead of landfill) or op shop bought, cut a rectangle, sew a couple sides and a hem for drawstring. Put away the wallet, creator vs consumer, go low-fi and if you cant sew, a great small project to build a new skill.

Now that you mention it... If I can't be bothered packing my canopy after a weekend of jumping, I stuff it into a large pillowcase and do it later when I'm home. You could just snip the hem on both ends of the opening, feed a drawstring through, and away you go.
Rosscodj
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: New South Wales

Postby gbagua » Thu 13 Jun, 2019 2:53 pm

Thanks for your replies, in fact I'll go with the bed linen option as I also got two down jackets I need to store that way too. About the sewing, I don't have a machine and by hand it's time consuming so I'll take the sheets to the local mending shop for a quick fix. ;)

Edit: the cotton bags are cheaper than bed linen and don't have to sew them either or pay someone to do it. I'll go for this option better.
gbagua

Postby gbagua » Thu 13 Jun, 2019 4:26 pm

Thebeachpeople cotton bag is only 20L, unfortunately. Too small, I need something bigger.
gbagua

Postby keithy » Thu 13 Jun, 2019 7:05 pm

gbagua wrote:Thebeachpeople cotton bag is only 20L, unfortunately. Too small, I need something bigger.

Sorry I only did a quick google last night. I didn't see how big it was.

My other cheap suggestion of using an old pillow case - my standard pillow cases expand to about 50L - Euro pillow cases can be bigger. Even with zero sewing skills, you can do a hole punch method to put a drawstring (cord or shoelace) through the top to make closure, or use those iron-down repair patches to make a drawstring loop.

This is a back of the envelope drawing on how to make the drawstring closure without sewing.
PillowCase drawstring.jpg

Make slits at the opening of the pillow case and thread through a drawstring. I have used a large wood nail and follow it through threading in a boot lace.
keithy

Postby Heremeahappy1 » Thu 13 Jun, 2019 9:09 pm

Time invested in skills building and skill maintenance is time well spent.
I could never sew, too busy. Then I wanted a custom hammock, then two more hammocks, carry bags for folding camp chairs x 7, bag for dehydrator kept in shed, a few dirty girl style gaiters, a tarp, a wool swag insert, utility bags for gear that clip to my tree harness...
Heremeahappy1
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby gbagua » Fri 14 Jun, 2019 5:08 am

keithy wrote:
gbagua wrote:Sorry I only did a quick google last night. I didn't see how big it was.

keithy wrote:
gbagua wrote:My other cheap suggestion of using an old pillow case - my standard pillow cases expand to about 50L - Euro pillow cases can be bigger.

1. I think was given the wrong sizing because I found something similar on Big W's page and the volume for a not much larger laundry bag was 101 L. The beach people's bag must be a 60L one roughly. I sent them another email last night to get the sizing correct.

2. I don't have spare(s) one(s). Having a look at Pillos Talk's site:

https://www.pillowtalk.com.au/pillowtal ... LDYE07_STD

The problem is that they don't provide all the dimensions in order to calculate the volume (HxLxW), so it's hard to tell.

How big do you think that pillow case is compared to yours so I'll now that is 50L approx.?

Ta. :)
gbagua

Postby keithy » Sat 15 Jun, 2019 1:24 am

gbagua wrote:How big do you think that pillow case is compared to yours so I'll now that is 50L approx.?

Mine was a more of a guesstimate though. It was a smidge smaller than my 60L duffel bag so I guessed it was about 50L.

I took one of my pillow cases out and it's about 70x49cm. That seems about the right size for standard cases eg. this one from Kmart https://www.kmart.com.au/product/pillow ... ro/2045312 which says it is 74 x 48cm.

In my pillow case for example, I can easily fit both my 3 season Cumulus down bag and my summer Aegismax down bag in it without compression.

When I have both sleeping bags in the pillow case, it measures roughly cylindrical 65x28x28cm which gives 40024 cubic cm, or about 40L. So less than my initial guesstimate of 50L.
keithy

Postby wazzawalkin » Sat 15 Jun, 2019 9:19 am

I have use this one; https://www.spotlightstores.com/bed/bed ... BP80291367
It is just big enough for my UL Quilt.

Wazza.
wazzawalkin
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby being_wise » Fri 26 Mar, 2021 8:34 am

A bit late (doing my own research i can across this thread)- You could try this!
www.oneplanet.com.au/product/mesh-storage-bag
being_wise
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby EGM » Fri 26 Mar, 2021 4:07 pm

That looks reasonably priced for what it is.
I go even lower budget and just get a pillow slip or sheet from the op shop (sized accordingly) and secure closed with a large bulldog clip. All my tents and sleeping bags which didn't come with storage bags are kept this way.
EGM
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Return to Techno-Babble