Inreach lag time for texting.

For all high tech electronic equipment including GPS, PLB, chargers, phones, computers, software. Discussion of simple electrical devices such as torches, belongs in the main 'Equipment' forum.

Inreach lag time for texting.

Postby mtrain » Sat 13 Feb, 2021 1:19 pm

Hi everyone. I am considering an inreach mini to take on an overseas walking trip to stay in contact with my wife. I am interested in other peoples experiences with texting from the states to Australia. How much lag time is there between sending a text and a reply coming through. Are you able to effectively carry on a simple conversation or is it a bit inconsistent with long periods waiting for texts to go through? The inreach would be paired to my iPhone.
mtrain
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Region: Victoria

Re: Inreach lag time for texting.

Postby wayno » Sat 13 Feb, 2021 1:53 pm

not like a mobile phone... several minutes at least to send or receive a message
you have to manually check for incoming messages if it doesnt receive one within 10 mins of sending , unless you want to wait an hour

https://support.garmin.com/en-au/en-au/ ... u6fLyWWdA7
from the land of the long white clouds...
wayno
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: New Zealand

Postby ribuck » Sun 14 Feb, 2021 12:44 am

I use an InReach Mini. It's wonderful for keeping in touch when on a remote trip, but only for status updates. It's too slow for conversations.
ribuck
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Other Country

Postby Nuts » Sun 14 Feb, 2021 7:28 am

At best you can hold a convo string for a while at least, but usually ending in silence. Do the incoming call free-of-charges work the same way worldwide? (it may still be a good option if the limitations Wayno linked are workable).
Nuts
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Tasmania

Postby mtrain » Sun 14 Feb, 2021 7:34 pm

Thanks for that. I realistically probably only want the ability for the odd check in “good morning good night” type thing in between towns. It’s either an inreach that I don’t foresee a whole lot of use for at other times or another plb as she will need our existing one while I’m away.
mtrain
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Region: Victoria

Postby ribuck » Sun 14 Feb, 2021 11:34 pm

Nuts wrote:Do the incoming call free-of-charges work the same way worldwide?

Different packages are sold in different countries. Whichever package you buy, it will apply no matter where in the world you are using your InReach.
ribuck
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Other Country

Return to Techno-Babble