New OSMaps

For all high tech electronic equipment including GPS, PLB, chargers, phones, computers, software. Discussion of simple electrical devices such as torches, belongs in the main 'Equipment' forum.

New OSMaps

Postby tastrax » Sat 27 Feb, 2021 4:37 pm

The UK Ordnance Survey mob have released a new product on the Australian market aimed at the outdoor community and I have to say if they are aiming at walkers they have really missed the mark! You cant do a lot/anything unless you subscribe ($6.50 for one month, $4.99 on a month by month on subscription and $32.99 for an annual subscription). They do give a free month initially but I am not sure its worth the effort. With all the competition in the market I think they have highly underestimated the needs of the market and their competition.

https://osmaps.com/
Cheers - Phil

OSM Mapper
tastrax
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: RETIRED! - Parks and Wildlife Service
Region: Tasmania

Re: New OSMaps

Postby andrewp » Sat 27 Feb, 2021 5:41 pm

Looks like just OSM with pretty ordinary contours, probably derived from one of the SRTM DEMs. Definitely not worth paying $33p/a.
andrewp
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Victoria

Re: New OSMaps

Postby wildwanderer » Sun 28 Feb, 2021 8:27 am

I haven't used it but looking at their site it does have quite a few useful features.

The most interesting to me are

- plan a route on a computer (or app) and follow the route on all devices.

- all in one osm, gov topo, satellite image integration.

The usefulness is having all those features available on one app/service.

Whether it's worth paying $40 per year for the convenience is up to the user.

I will say that I find the unwillingness of people to pay anything but a couple of bucks for apps quite strange. I went out to dinner on Fri night. Paid $80 (for two) for a very ordinary meal.. which is a two hour, one use product. But when it's a app costing half that for multiuse, decent functionality for 12 months. people balk at the cost..
(Not meaning to call out anyone in this thread..just making a comment generally on app costs and willingness to pay. Also keeping in mind that developing an app costs $10,000-$100,000 if you hire a app dev firm)

For me I'll stick to orux maps. While it doesn't have a integrated desktop planner, and setting up a sat view is laborious, the navigation tools are superior and I can add high res dem files for precise elevation information.
wildwanderer
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: New South Wales

Return to Techno-Babble