Portable power charger

For all high tech electronic equipment including GPS, PLB, chargers, phones, computers, software. Discussion of simple electrical devices such as torches, belongs in the main 'Equipment' forum.

Portable power charger

Postby gbagua » Mon 01 Mar, 2021 7:47 am

As the world of smartphones and electronic gadgets is always evolving, now in 2020-21 which device would you recommend for charging iPhone 11 or 12 (need to upgrade a nearly dead iPh7) and a NU25 360 headlamp.

Lightness and reliability are top priorities.
gbagua
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Region: Queensland

Re: Portable power charger

Postby johnrs » Mon 01 Mar, 2021 8:45 am

Hi G
There is a thread here.
No really perfect finds yet though.
viewtopic.php?f=21&t=24317&p=405586&hilit=solar+panel#p405586
John
johnrs

Region: New South Wales

Postby Son of a Beach » Mon 01 Mar, 2021 9:01 am

I use one of these: https://www.mi-store.com.au/mi-power-bank . I got the higher power model that was available at the time (I think it was 20000 mAh?).

I get about three full charges, but not quite sure, since I have never needed to use more than one charge on a trip (because in airplane mode and switched off overnight, the phone goes for a few days without a charge, anyhow - even when using location tracking and lots of photos). I sometimes charge up the rest of a group's phones in addition to my own (depending on how many need it, and how much charge they need).

Way better than trying to get a charge out of solar panels (for now). Size is about the same as my non-plus-sized iPhone. They weigh a bit, but not excessive.

Mine looks like the one on the web page background image. But the models they sell now seem to all look a bit different to that.
Son of a Beach
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Bit Map (NIXANZ)
Region: Tasmania

Postby johnrs » Mon 01 Mar, 2021 10:56 am

And G
Generally a 10,000 mah power bank is fine for two recharges, maybe something smaller for short trips.
Typically around 200gm and available in supermarkets these days.
If you want to go upmarket Nitecore has some lighter and more expensive products
http://frugalhiker.blogspot.com/
Are you happy with your NU 25 headlamp?
John
johnrs

Postby ChrisJHC » Mon 01 Mar, 2021 12:19 pm

A couple of tips to extend your battery life:

1. Make sure you put your phone into “aeroplane mode” unless you need to use those features. Your GPS will still work.

2. Make sure you set your GPS/mapping software to “only use location services when the app is open”. That way, you’re only getting a GPS position when you need it. It might take a few seconds longer to get a position, but you’ll save power overall.
Note that this assumes you’re not logging your position continually.

3. Only charge your phone to 80% at a time. Devices now typically use “smart charging” whereby they rapidly charge to 80% quite quickly then take a long time to charge the final 20%. I’m told that the final 20% takes more power to charge, however I have no data to back that up.

Hope that helps!
ChrisJHC

Region: Victoria

Postby gbagua » Mon 01 Mar, 2021 12:56 pm

johnrs wrote:And G
Generally a 10,000 mah power bank is fine for two recharges, maybe something smaller for short trips.
Typically around 200gm and available in supermarkets these days.

I had no idea, what is sold at the supermarket?

johnrs wrote:Are you happy with your NU 25 headlamp?
John

Haven't had a chance to use it yet. I mostly got it for the Larapinta hike later this year.

I also found the following list as someone mentioned the brand Anker in another thread:

rb.gy/kvybnv

The Power Core 10000 being 180g.

I guess they are all good, aren't they? Except for the 5000 model, not enough for long trips.
gbagua

Postby gbagua » Wed 03 Mar, 2021 7:47 am

Anyone using an Anker?

Is it reliable?

Ta.
gbagua

Postby crollsurf » Wed 03 Mar, 2021 9:07 am

gbagua wrote:Anyone using an Anker?

Is it reliable?

Ta.

I've have had a Power Core 10000 for 3-4 years now without problem. I get 2-3 charges for my Samsung S9+ so good for a week+ walking taking Photos, Netflix, Spotify, GaiaGPS. Although I probably only listen to about 2-3 hours of music per day and all movies, music and maps are already downloaded onto the phone.
If you have to ration yourself, there are 4 LEDS that give you a guide to how much battery life is left.

EDIT: forgot to mention it does drain a bit over time so don't charge and expect it to be full 3 months later. Always top up before heading out.
crollsurf
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Watertank » Wed 03 Mar, 2021 9:29 pm

Anker is a great brand, I have numerous power banks, cables and speakers from them. All excellent. Happy to recommend it. No affiliation.
Watertank
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Victoria

Postby ribuck » Thu 04 Mar, 2021 5:59 am

Anker is certainly one of the better brands, but I prefer a power bank with a percentage indicator rather than four lights (particularly when charging by solar, because the percentage makes it clear how quickly it's charging).
ribuck
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Other Country

Return to Techno-Babble