NB10000 power bank

For all high tech electronic equipment including GPS, PLB, chargers, phones, computers, software. Discussion of simple electrical devices such as torches, belongs in the main 'Equipment' forum.

NB10000 power bank

Postby Lamont » Fri 05 Mar, 2021 4:37 pm

Hey Keithy/anyone-
1-have you got any news on this little number? Been around quite a while now
https://www.liteshop.com.au/content/nit ... gIh3vD_BwE

2-Is it now the UL champ for a 10000 at 150 grams?

3-Anything better/similar for a few spondoolicks less?

Thanks if you manage to see this and have any thoughts.
Lamont
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: https://www.againstmalaria.com/
Region: Other Country

Re: NB10000 power bank

Postby johnrs » Sat 06 Mar, 2021 10:50 am

Yes Lamont, I think the Nitecore wins the weight stakes at present,
Typical 10,000 MaH batteries are around 200-220 gms and about 1/3 the price.
I picked up one in my local IGA!
John
johnrs
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Region: New South Wales

Postby Bam » Sat 06 Mar, 2021 11:30 am

Like most things “the devil’s in the detail” & power banks are no different.

Yes, cheap power banks are readily available that will simply charge up your device, just don’t expect them to do so with any great efficiency or speed, often a cheap 10,000 MaH will not offer as much output charge as a reasonable quality 6400 MaH one, not only that they take far longer to recharge both themselves & your device as well.

If you value low weight & volume, unit efficiency, fast charge & discharge rates, pass-through charging, multiple high-quality connections, etc then it will obviously cost quite a bit than than the cheap non-branded ones.

I decided that I value all of the above so I bought one of the Nitecore NB10000 & have been very happy with how it’s performed having used it extensively on-trail last year.

Recently, I’ve seen them advertised for as little as $70-80 from authorised (not grey importer) suppliers which is an excellent price for a power bank of this quality, performance & functionality.
Bam
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: Western Australia

Postby Lamont » Sat 06 Mar, 2021 11:54 am

Bam wrote:I bought one of the Nitecore NB10000 & have been very happy with how it’s performed having used it extensively on-trail last year.

Ta. :D That's what I :D wanted to know. My interest is in mainly this little number as per my questions.
Thanks for the input. I have noticed the price has dropped a bit hence my bit of interest.
It seems the typical output is about the same as other 10000 models-about the 6700 odd. Would you reckon that's about right?
Anything other than the weight/size that you might think makes it a good buy?
Lamont
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Bam » Sat 06 Mar, 2021 12:29 pm

This article, which is one of many, explains why you don’t get the full 10,000MaH out of a power bank, basically it’s just dodgy marketing.
https://blog.banggood.com/the-secret-ma ... 29982.html

This excellent & very extensive spreadsheet listing the specifications & efficiency ratings of the vast majority of power banks available in the marketplace might also be of use.
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... 1623186548

The above spreadsheet is what convinced me to spend my “hard earned” on a Nitecore NB10000, at the end of the day, after hearing many stories of cheap power bank failures & inadequacies from family & friends I thought that it was worthwhile to simply “pay up & smile” & purchase something that would definitely do the job & also be of sufficient quality to, hopefully, not fail when you need it most!

Edit - just noticed that Vapr (no affiliation) is advertising the NB10000 for sale at $69.95 & free delivery!

https://www.vapr.com.au/products/niteco ... power-bank

Not sure if they are authorised stockists though so please do your own due diligence before committing to any purchase.
Bam
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby Lamont » Sat 06 Mar, 2021 1:15 pm

So have you found about 6700mh?
Lamont
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Bam » Sat 06 Mar, 2021 1:51 pm

Nitecore specs rate it as 6400maH
On the spreadsheet that I provided the link to it was independently tested to be 6808maH, not sure of unit to unit variability but it indicates that Nitecores quoted rate is quite conservative.

I don’t have the necessary equipment to fully evaluate my own power bank to that level of scrutiny, all I know is that I still have plenty of available power (30-50%) left in my power bank after using it to recharge my iPhone 7+ & head torch during an 8-day trip therefore it’s adequate for my needs.
To add some context to the above I mainly use my phone as a means of navigation (using Guthook app) & to take photographs, I also leave my phone in “Aeroplane Mode” for most of the day until I arrive at camp, once there I’ll check mail, etc if there’s any signal available.
Bam
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby Lamont » Sat 06 Mar, 2021 2:20 pm

Bam wrote:... all I know is that I still have plenty of available power (30-50%) left in my power bank after using it to recharge my iPhone 7+ & head torch during an 8-day trip therefore it’s adequate for my needs

Sounds all right. Ta
Lamont
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby gbagua » Wed 21 Apr, 2021 11:49 am

johnrs wrote:I picked up one in my local IGA!
John

Is this in a Sydney IGA? Which one?

Cheers.
gbagua

Region: Queensland

Postby crollsurf » Wed 21 Apr, 2021 12:33 pm

New NB20000 just hit the store https://www.nitecorestore.com/Nitecore-NB20000-QC-20000mAh-Power-Bank-p/bat-nite-nb20000.htm
Great for recharging the fridge 8)
crollsurf
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Lamont » Wed 21 Apr, 2021 2:09 pm

Two 10000s are lighter than the 20000.
Lamont
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby johnrs » Wed 21 Apr, 2021 4:53 pm

Probably any IGA Gbagua.
Mine was Turramurra, they will be on a stand near the checkout with a selection of cables and phone accessories.
About 200gms, solid enough and reasonably priced, good for two recharges.
John
johnrs

Postby gbagua » Thu 22 Apr, 2021 9:46 am

Not that easy johnrs! I just called the head office and I was told it's not sold at the supermarket unless someone called the supplier and placed an special order through them. You must have been very lucky, lol. :)

I'll have to buy this online, I'm afraid.
gbagua

Region: Queensland

Postby johnrs » Fri 23 Apr, 2021 9:51 am

It was just a cheap and cheerful 10kmah bank GBagua.
Something similar would be available at JCar electronics, many phone stores and possibly even JB Hi Fi.
Used on extended trips in Nepal and Tassie.
Went fine but heavier than the beaut Nitecore version
John
johnrs

Postby keithy » Fri 23 Apr, 2021 12:06 pm

I've heard good things about this Nitecore battery pack. I haven't picked one up yet as I have a stack of powerbanks still sitting idle. But mostly because I didn't want to pay the premium for the lighter carbon fibre case.

Still, I am keen on seeing if anyone else has popped one open yet to see what sort of lithium Polymer battery they are using inside. Especially when Nitecore claim their capacity as 38.5Wh (10000mAh @ 3.85V).

I always thought the weight of the external sleeves of the Xiaomi powerbanks could have been made lighter by using other materials.

The 10000mAh LiPo battery pack inside the Nitecore NB10000 must be in the 130g range (my estimation of the case and circuitry about 20g) which is pretty good for a 38.5Wh 10000mAh pack. I have a few flat 10000mAh lithium polymer batteries (all of similar capacity of 37-38.5Wh) and they weigh in the 150g range for the battery pack alone, before you add the powerbank case and the charging controller circuitry, buttons, leds etc.

My slim 10000mAh Xiaomi powerbanks with the aluminium cases weigh about 210-220g. Interestingly one of my two Xiaomi 10000mAh powerbanks is made with 2 x 5000mAh flat LiPo packs connected, while the other has a single 10000mAh LiPo pack. The single 10000mAh pack weighs a little less (about 10g difference).

Anyway, I think the Nitecore seems like a good option, I particularly like the USB C charging port which might save you carrying a separate cable if you use newer phone that charge with USB C.

For me though, I'll wait to see if it drops to the AUD$40 mark and then consider it (It was going for around USD$50 from Aliexpress late last year)

Lamont wrote:It seems the typical output is about the same as other 10000 models-about the 6700 odd. Would you reckon that's about right?

For power ratings, Nitecore have a separate rating of 6400mAh @ 5V for this powerbank.

For mAh ratings to be relevant, you need to be compared them with the mAh at the same voltage. Eg. 10000 mAh @ 3.85V is not the same as 10000mAh @ 5V.

This is where a Watt/hour (Wh) comparison is more useful.

So for the Nitecore stated specs:
  • internal battery 10000mAh @ 3.85V = 38.5Wh
  • Power Rating 6400mAh @ 5V (1A typ) = 32Wh

The difference of 6.5Wh would be due to losses through the transfer of energy. This loss works out to around an 83% efficiency. I have been using a rule of thumb of around a 80% efficiency for a while since I started testing my powerbanks. When I tested the outputs of my newer powerbanks, some have shown higher efficiencies when new, of just over 90%.
keithy

Postby keithy » Fri 23 Apr, 2021 12:12 pm

gbagua wrote:I'll have to buy this online, I'm afraid.

I've not bought this one, but saw this week that Banggood have a sale from their Australian warehouses of this 10000mAh powerbank https://www.banggood.com/BlitzWolf-BW-P ... 19986.html

It has both micro USB and USB C charging inputs (only use one at a time). And seems reasonable value at around $17 delivered.
keithy

Postby Lamont » Fri 23 Apr, 2021 12:30 pm

Yep Keithy -it's all in the case. My Xiaomi 10000 (210gms) is like a tank.
The NB10000s are everywhere now and I know lots with them and fine them good. If they drop price I may have a go-but I don't even use a Power bank most of the time so .....being tighter than a Murray Cod's _rse I'll leave it for now I'm thinking.
Lamont
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby CraigVIC » Thu 03 Feb, 2022 10:22 am

Bam wrote:Edit - just noticed that Vapr (no affiliation) is advertising the NB10000 for sale at $69.95 & free delivery!

https://www.vapr.com.au/products/niteco ... power-bank

Not sure if they are authorised stockists though so please do your own due diligence before committing to any purchase.

I asked another shop to price match this and was refused based on the vapr bank being a grey import.
CraigVIC

Region: Victoria

Postby telemarktim » Mon 16 May, 2022 7:03 pm

Bam wrote:Like most things “the devil’s in the detail” & power banks are no different.

Yes, cheap power banks are readily available that will simply charge up your device, just don’t expect them to do so with any great efficiency or speed, often a cheap 10,000 MaH will not offer as much output charge as a reasonable quality 6400 MaH one, not only that they take far longer to recharge both themselves & your device as well.

If you value low weight & volume, unit efficiency, fast charge & discharge rates, pass-through charging, multiple high-quality connections, etc then it will obviously cost quite a bit than than the cheap non-branded ones.

I decided that I value all of the above so I bought one of the Nitecore NB10000 & have been very happy with how it’s performed having used it extensively on-trail last year.

Recently, I’ve seen them advertised for as little as $70-80 from authorised (not grey importer) suppliers which is an excellent price for a power bank of this quality, performance & functionality.

Hi Bam, Thanks for sharing your ideas. Are you indicating that the Nitecor NB 10000 has the ability to have power drawn down while charging (pass-through charging?). I would like to get a backpacking power pack that can be solar charging while I am using it to power a stove. However, I could not see this feature described in the NitecoreNB 1000 'Features & Specifications in the advertisement. Maybe I just can't recognise the jargon. Also, has the battery peformed well in the snow?
Thanks Tim
telemarktim
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Puddle Duck » Thu 02 Jun, 2022 11:47 am

Without wishing to hi jack this thread, does anyone have experience of the Anker PowerCore 20,000mAh charger? Maybe actual capacity is less? But price is attractive.

https://www.amazon.com.au/dp/B07SQ5MQ6K ... asin_0_img

Looking for more mAh & although 342 gms not ultra lightweight but I’m willing to make that sacrifice.

Thanks in advance
Puddle Duck
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby keithy » Fri 03 Jun, 2022 9:25 pm

Puddle Duck wrote:Without wishing to hi jack this thread, does anyone have experience of the Anker PowerCore 20,000mAh charger? Maybe actual capacity is less? But price is attractive.

Anker do make some of the better quality powerbanks. The Anker powerbanks I have tested have been at or about their stated capacities. I have the previous version of the Anker Powercore 20000mAh and it is a fine.

If you don't need the PD (powerdirect) function, have a look at :

https://www.amazon.com.au/Anker-PowerCo ... 07S829LBX/ - this version about $60 at the time of posting. This one doesn't have PD function, but has both USB-C and micro USB charging sockets, and is about the same weight as the one you posted.

https://www.amazon.com.au/Anker-Powerco ... 08DQW4TBW/ - This is the earlier version which I have, but is much heavier (about 450g) and only has micro USB charging socket.
keithy

Return to Techno-Babble