Iridium GO functionality question

For all high tech electronic equipment including GPS, PLB, chargers, phones, computers, software. Discussion of simple electrical devices such as torches, belongs in the main 'Equipment' forum.

Iridium GO functionality question

Postby wazzawalkin » Fri 02 Apr, 2021 7:33 pm

I am looking at the Iridium Go to extend my phone range when out and about.

I have looked at the online info for the GO, but just not sure exactly how it handles incoming calls and text.
So assuming I have my smart phone connected via the WiFi, do the family ring/sms my normal number or does the GO have its own number people have to call/sms?

Hoping that’s clear and makes sense : )
Thanks in advance,
Wazza
wazzawalkin
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Victoria

Re: Iridium GO functionality question

Postby wildwanderer » Fri 02 Apr, 2021 8:48 pm

Interesting product!

The information online is opaque to say the least!

My biggest questions would be on

Battery life.
The fact sheets say 15.5 hours standby and up to 5.5 hours talk time. Be interesting to see real world examples for land use. Iridium is well known for sea phones which with no pesky mountains in the way of the sky makes for much better reception and less strain on the battery.

How good is the reception for voice calls..
I have a inreach mini which uses the iridium network and in the bush sometimes it takes 15-30 mins to get a message out/in. I assume voice would require a much stronger signal. That they promote the external antenna booster on the same page makes me a bit wary.

Cost.
It seems people calling you need to call your dedicated iridium number(not your regular mobile number) and pay international rates.
Calling out (or in) it seems you need a plan with a iridium reseller or get a prepaid card. Couldn't find the prepaid cost but the plans are costly although seems prices have come down.

Telstra have plans.. basic is $45 pm plan cost and $1.20 per minute calls.(within Australia) and providing you sign a 12/24 month contract. https://www.telstra.com.au/coverage-net ... -satellite

Iridium mentioned that friends/family could access a web portal to SMS you without cost. No mention on how much it costs to message back. Likely you need a plan or a pre paid.

Seems you can use it to send/receive picture messages which is a nice capability. Not sure on cost.

My initial thoughts are this product is likely most appropriate for companies/expeditions wanting voice/msg access for staff operating in remote places like a ship or a mining site. Especially as one device can be used by up to 5 people at once within 30m. Staff just need the app on their phones.

Think of iridium go as a satellite phone (with all the associated costs) but it brings the advantage that you don't need to bring another handset.(apart from your personal mobile)
wildwanderer
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: New South Wales

Postby wazzawalkin » Sun 04 Apr, 2021 12:36 pm

wildwanderer wrote:Cost.
It seems people calling you need to call your dedicated iridium number(not your regular mobile number) and pay international rates.

Yes, as I mention it seems that is the case but I was hoping someone on the forum had used one knew the answer and not guessing like you and I are :D

Wazza.
wazzawalkin
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby wildwanderer » Sun 04 Apr, 2021 12:47 pm

I'm not guessing. It's a satelite phone that requires a dedicated Iridium network number.
wildwanderer
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: New South Wales

Postby wazzawalkin » Sun 04 Apr, 2021 1:53 pm

Ok, you tricked me when you said it "seems"
wazzawalkin
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Return to Techno-Babble