Etrex10...killing me!

For all high tech electronic equipment including GPS, PLB, chargers, phones, computers, software. Discussion of simple electrical devices such as torches, belongs in the main 'Equipment' forum.

Etrex10...killing me!

Postby puredingo » Tue 20 Jul, 2021 9:06 am

Hi,

I finally used my etrex10 for more than just an odometer and saved two tracks, roughly about 50klm each and maybe 8 waypoints.
Now every time I try to do anything it tells me my memory is dangerously low or I haven't enough memory for this function or to check my parameters.
I've tried everything I know to delete all that's on there but it either won't let me or it tells me I can't do THAT function either due to memory or parameters!!

I know its a very basic base model but I assume there would be more storage than that?

Any ideas before I hurl it of seacliff Bridge?
puredingo
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: New South Wales

Re: Etrex10...killing me!

Postby GregG » Tue 20 Jul, 2021 11:14 am

If all else fails I assume you could take it back to the factory default setting which should wipe the storage clean. But how to do that .... do you have the instruction manual?
GregG
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Old bushie

Postby puredingo » Tue 20 Jul, 2021 11:32 am

Hi Greg, yeah I went into the setup section and hit a delete all option...but nothing happened?

I did get a small instruction booklet with it. Basically 3 pages that tells you its few functions.
puredingo
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby icefest » Tue 20 Jul, 2021 11:38 am

This comes up when I google that issue - YMMV

GregG wrote:If all else fails I assume you could take it back to the factory default setting which should wipe the storage clean. But how to do that .... do you have the instruction manual?

Men wanted for hazardous journey. Low wages, bitter cold, long hours of complete darkness. Safe return doubtful.
icefest
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Victoria

Postby johnrs » Tue 20 Jul, 2021 11:52 am

Heh PD
Just get another system that runs on your smartphone. Lots of good inexpensive options.
Maybe keep the Etrex as a backup device but just for waypoints and compass bearings.
John
johnrs

Postby puredingo » Tue 20 Jul, 2021 1:10 pm

Off the bridge it goes.

Carried out all the advice above and although now its telling me in the storage section all the memories are back to 0% it still gives me the parameters/make room in the dangerously low memory speil. Basically rendering it useless.

John, let me tell you of my little forey into the smart phone culture.

Got a galaxy20 (I think?) For a present, stopped at Sutton's forest servo for toilet break and whilst there tried out my trip intentions to send home...I did this on the bonnet of my car.

Couple of Klms down the Hume hwy there goes said present sailing off into a galaxy of its own without a care in the world....I still went on my walk.
puredingo
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby bernieq » Tue 20 Jul, 2021 2:38 pm

Puredingo, did you connect the gps to a computer (in mass storage mode) and delete all the .gpx files? (archive.gpx current.gpx in the subfolders in the /gpx folder of the internal memory as well as all the .gpx files in the /gpx folder on the SD card). This was (essentially) Jayne Mcd's advice above.

We are responsible for the health of the planet - not it for ours
bernieq

Region: Victoria

Postby keithy » Tue 20 Jul, 2021 2:58 pm

I've seen this error ages ago, and it was definitely related to a corrupted database or corrupted gpx or geocache file giving the not enough memory error on boot up as other people have posted.

The factory reset SHOULD reset the database, but if not, connect to a PC, then you go to DEVICE\Garmin\GPX directory on the eTrex 10. If you want to back up the GPX files you can copy them on to your computer first, but then delete them all.

Then after disconnecting the eTrex 10 from the computer, restart it, this forces the eTrex 10 to rebuild its internal database, and hopefully get rid of the memory error.

Failing that, the last time the eTrex 10 firmware was updated was in April 2019 to version 3.60. https://www8.garmin.com/support/downloa ... sp?id=5555 If you aren't on 3.60 upgrading the firmware would be good too.

If you don't want to use Garmin Express to update the firmware, let me know. I can grab the GCD file and give you manual instructions to update it.

The eTrex 10 has a really low memory is a pain (8Mb on board), compared with the eTrex 20 or 30 which had 1.7Gb. But that shouldn't be an issue for recording 2 tracks and 8 waypoints like you have. It does seem like a corrupted file issue.
keithy

Region: Other Country

Postby puredingo » Tue 20 Jul, 2021 3:39 pm

Okay, thanks everyone for the advice. I haven’t got a PC so I’ll have to wait until I can get back into work or find someone with one and I’ll try those next steps.

Stand by for further developments!!
puredingo
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby GregG » Tue 20 Jul, 2021 5:32 pm

puredingo wrote:Couple of Klms down the Hume hwy there goes said present sailing off into a galaxy of its own without a care in the world....I still went on my walk.

I love your description of the Galaxy launching into orbit!!! I'm glad you can laugh about it, it is a good campfire story. Maybe you can give the etrex a viking funeral hehe. :)
GregG

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Old bushie

Postby puredingo » Tue 20 Jul, 2021 6:09 pm

Maybe I’ll leave it hanging dismembered in the town square as a warning for all other electronics not to mess with me!!
puredingo
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby tastrax » Tue 20 Jul, 2021 6:18 pm

puredingo wrote:Maybe I’ll leave it hanging dismembered in the town square as a warning for all other electronics not to mess with me!!

Please don’t :D :D I will take it off your hands and put it to good use with volunteer environmental groups :lol: :D BUT, I am sure you can solve the issue. When you get to a PC also look in to the Garmin Updater and make sure you have the latest firmware.
Cheers - Phil

OSM Mapper
tastrax
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: RETIRED! - Parks and Wildlife Service
Region: Tasmania

Postby puredingo » Wed 21 Jul, 2021 12:20 pm

Eureka!!! The mighty etrex10 lives again.

I sent it off for a sleep over last night to a friend who, although knows nothing about GPS, at least owns a computer. So I armed her with all the information offered on this site and it worked! She did say she couldn’t follow the instructions precisely, it just wouldn’t go so she just kept deleting stuff. Took it for a quick test run then and all seems back to normal...so, thanks.
puredingo
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Return to Techno-Babble