Guthook app for oz

For all high tech electronic equipment including GPS, PLB, chargers, phones, computers, software. Discussion of simple electrical devices such as torches, belongs in the main 'Equipment' forum.

Guthook app for oz

Postby mtrain » Tue 27 Jul, 2021 8:03 pm

I just discovered that the guthook app has trail mapping for Australia now. They have a bundle including the alpine walking track, bibbulman and others. It was great on the pct for logistics etc but I hadn’t even thought of using it here.
Anyone had any experience with it on Australian tracks?
mtrain
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Region: Victoria

Re: Guthook app for oz

Postby Paulas » Fri 10 Sep, 2021 9:07 pm

Used Guthook for the Cape to Cape track in WA. It was excellent, with good info

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Paulas
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Region: Western Australia

Postby mtrain » Sat 25 Sep, 2021 10:48 am

Thanks. It doesn’t seem like it is getting much traction in oz.
mtrain
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby dashandsaph » Sun 26 Sep, 2021 10:05 pm

I used the app on a section of the AAWT. Pretty good - allows an easy and clear understanding of where you are and the profile for the hills to come. It did not locate a water tank on South Selwyn in the Barries accurately and we ended with a road bash to water instead. I found in other places that the track placement was not precise. Usually not an issue but meant it couldn't be relied on though. Has a good range of long distance tracks on it and I found it worthwhile for a 6 day section on the AAWT.
dashandsaph
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby mtrain » Sat 16 Oct, 2021 3:23 pm

As far as accuracy goes that’s an interesting on. I would hazard a guess that they haven’t carried a gps on all the tracks they have on the platform. I know they did that early on for the pct but surely not the aawt.
It’s an interesting phenomenon all these navigation apps selling mapping information that they never actually survey them selves.
I’ve found over the years for outback stuff that none of them are consistently accurate unless like Hema they actually state they have run a gps down the track before publishing.
Going to be some interesting times for newer enthusiasts who can’t read a map.
mtrain
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Return to Techno-Babble