NSW higher res map tiles?

For all high tech electronic equipment including GPS, PLB, chargers, phones, computers, software. Discussion of simple electrical devices such as torches, belongs in the main 'Equipment' forum.

NSW higher res map tiles?

Postby wildwanderer » Sun 12 Sep, 2021 6:02 am

Does anyone know if higher resolution map tiles are available to download from NSW six maps?

The tiles on the wms server are fairly low res.

Im also encountering a issue where the map tiles switch to a white tile when I zoom in to much. I assume because I've reached the highest zoom layer and trying to go beyond.

Coming from the geo PDFs the resolution downgrade is very noticeable.
wildwanderer
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: New South Wales

Re: NSW higher res map tiles?

Postby tom_brennan » Sun 12 Sep, 2021 10:51 am

The topo tiles max out at level 16. I think this is consistent across the state. I'm not sure that there's much more detail you'd get by zooming in any further, but I don't regularly use the GeoPDFs

The imagery tiles go up to level 21, but this is not consistent.

Depending on the application you are using, if you go beyond the highest level, you will get blank tiles. Other applications will simply show lower level tiles zoomed in.
Bushwalking NSW - http://bushwalkingnsw.com
tom_brennan
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby tastrax » Sun 12 Sep, 2021 11:14 am

You can get a general idea by looking at each of the mapserver links here

https://maps.six.nsw.gov.au/arcgis/rest/services/public

I personally find the wmts the best/quickest but it depends on the software that you are using but as Tom indicates its not consistent across the state
Cheers - Phil

OSM Mapper
tastrax
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: RETIRED! - Parks and Wildlife Service
Region: Tasmania

Postby tastrax » Sun 12 Sep, 2021 11:33 am

What software are you using to create the geopdf? Remember there is also the NSW_Imagery and NSW_Basemap that may also suit your purposes.
Cheers - Phil

OSM Mapper
tastrax
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: RETIRED! - Parks and Wildlife Service
Region: Tasmania

Postby wildwanderer » Sun 12 Sep, 2021 12:54 pm

Thanks Guys,

Tom. No greater detail but less pixelated. The six Geo pdfs remain sharp to the greatest possible zoom. I might be being a bit pedantic but the sharpness of the geopdfs seemed easier to read in bush conditions.

Tastrax. I've been using the premade geopdfs downloadable at six maps etopo. It's the NSW topo map.

Mostly the six maps geopdfs are great but I have encountered a few situations where I'm walking on the corners of 4 maps so it's a bit more messy to navigate.

It's not a deal breaker by any means (as I can switch to OSM and also deal with 4 map edges if I want the NSW gov topos) but I was wondering if there was any NSW gov resource that would allow downloading of a user defined polygon of the map tiles at the same resolution as the geopdfs.

Was using the NZ map service a while back and I was able to define a polygon of desired map coverage and the map service would spit out a sharp geopdf of the nominated area. It was great.
wildwanderer
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby crollsurf » Sun 12 Sep, 2021 3:18 pm

OSM has become my goto these days but I still use six maps as reference for sure. There is valuable info that OSM doesn't provide.

GaiaGPS is my preferred tool ( supports six maps ) and downloading comes out of the box. Research on my laptop, then download and it syncs with my mobile. Always test in aeroplane mode on phone before heading out, just to be sure.

Not saying GaiaGPS is the best, Alltrails is making big inroads, but unless you're a mapping geek, I'd avoid all the mapping complexities and subscribe to one of the Gaia like offerings

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk
crollsurf
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby wildwanderer » Sun 12 Sep, 2021 6:29 pm

Thanks crollsurf.

How does the Gaia download compare with the geopdfs for resolution? Are they as sharp?
wildwanderer
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby crollsurf » Sun 12 Sep, 2021 7:04 pm

wildwanderer wrote:Thanks crollsurf.

How does the Gaia download compare with the geopdfs for resolution? Are they as sharp?

Can't say, six maps is displaying a blank PDF ATM!
Regardless, I don't know enough to answer that question definitively but on my web browser (https://maps.six.nsw.gov.au/), neither the Topo Maps or the NSW Maps appear to scale to size! Same same in GaiaGPS, including when downloaded.
crollsurf
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby tom_brennan » Mon 13 Sep, 2021 2:24 pm

wildwanderer wrote:Tom. No greater detail but less pixelated. The six Geo pdfs remain sharp to the greatest possible zoom. I might be being a bit pedantic but the sharpness of the geopdfs seemed easier to read in bush conditions

Unfortunately the NSW Topo tiles are raster tiles, so are going to max out beyond a certain point. I think that point is OK, but everyone has their own prefs!

The GeoPDFs are vector data, so can be zoomed as much as you want.

There isn't currently a way of extracting GeoPDFs for arbitrary areas.

You can download tiles for areas, depending on the software you are using eg OruxMaps.
Bushwalking NSW - http://bushwalkingnsw.com
tom_brennan
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Return to Techno-Babble