Pivotel to transfer InReach services to Garmin

For all high tech electronic equipment including GPS, PLB, chargers, phones, computers, software. Discussion of simple electrical devices such as torches, belongs in the main 'Equipment' forum.

Pivotel to transfer InReach services to Garmin

Postby bumpingbill » Sun 14 Aug, 2022 11:11 am

Not sure how many people have the older Delorme InReach devices, but I got an email recently from service provider Pivotel saying services are to be transferred to Garmin in the next few months.

Has anyone else got this yet?

It brings the older Delorme products in line with Garmin's newer models - but sadly I think it's more expensive for less options. Not that I have much choice! It's not that much more in the whole scheme of things, but still.

In 2012, Pivotel introduced inReach® Satellite Communicator Services to Australian adventurers in partnership with DeLorme, offering affordable two-way satellite messaging options for the first time.

In 2016, DeLorme was acquired by Garmin®. As Garmin continues to evolve and enhance inReach Explore services, Pivotel and Garmin have determined that Australian users currently served by Pivotel will be better served using inReach Explore services provided by Garmin directly.

As a result, Pivotel and Garmin have agreed to transfer inReach Explore services for inReach devices to Garmin.
Attachments
delorme-pricing.png
(Older) Delorme/Pivotel pricing
garmin-pricing.png
(New) Garmin pricing
bumpingbill
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Tasmania

Re: Pivotel to transfer InReach services to Garmin

Postby bumpingbill » Sun 14 Aug, 2022 11:13 am

Oh Garmin has a $54 annual fee too. So you're on the hook for at least that if you don't use it. But then again, Pivotel had the option to suspend with $5.95/month which came out to $71.40 - so that is a small reduction at least.
bumpingbill
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Tasmania

Postby Aushiker » Sun 14 Aug, 2022 12:45 pm

bumpingbill wrote:Oh Garmin has a $54 annual fee too. So you're on the hook for at least that if you don't use it. But then again, Pivotel had the option to suspend with $5.95/month which came out to $71.40 - so that is a small reduction at least.

The annual fee applies to the Freedom plans only. If you go on a 12-month contract you do not pay this, but then, of course, you are locked into the monthly fee for the 12-month period.
Andrew
Aushiker
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Region: Western Australia

Postby crollsurf » Sun 14 Aug, 2022 7:25 pm

$29.95 is a bit of cheek seeing as you are already registered. But still cheaper than the standard $49aud for new Garmin users. Daylight robbery for sending tracking points also but worth noting that is the cost for real time tracking onto MapShare. If you want to log tracking points but not send via satellite, you can avoid that cost. I'd look into whether you have a setting to log tracking points but not send.

Otherwise tracking will cost $$$ or you'll need to pay for the Recreation plan

Looks like you've been abandoned IMHO.

Sent from my SM-G998B using Tapatalk
crollsurf
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: New South Wales

Postby cjhfield » Mon 22 Aug, 2022 1:32 pm

It will definitely be more expensive :-(

For the recreation plan if I switch it on twice per year it will be about $35 more expensive and for each extra month I activate it another $26 more expensive.

I will use the cheapest plan when I switch it on when I dont actually need tracking (usually bushwalking) and the more expensive plan when I do (long Audax rides).

Will have to research the competition - up to now the Pivotel rates have been the best choice for me and the service has been good.

Chris
cjhfield
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Return to Techno-Babble