Please help a non photographer buy a camera

Cameras, tripods, techniques, etc.
Forum rules
Please note that the extended image rules for the Gallery forum also apply here.

Re: Please help a non photographer buy a camera

Postby DanShell » Tue 05 Apr, 2016 11:35 am

Thanks gents. I just spoke to what sounded like an Olympus expert at the shop I bought the camera and all things considered I am going to stick with the lense I bought.

He is more than happy to exchange it for a prime or 12-40 or 14-40 and does rave about how good they are but at this stage given my experience (or lack of) Im pretty confident Ill get the quality of shots I am after and I still have the benefit of the massive focal range. I know the the f stop is a bit high but he assures me with the built in stabilisation Ill be very happy with the low light ability and sharpness of the lense Ive got. I should point out I bought the pro 14-150 $800 lense not the $200 14-150R lense.

Aargh I wish I knew more about all this. No doubt Ill learn a lot more over the next year or two!
DanShell
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Tasmania

Postby DanShell » Tue 05 Apr, 2016 12:08 pm

I just took a pic of the dog. Im not sure how well this will look once exported/compressed and uploaded to here but straight from the camera it is as sharp as any of my larger DLSR's have ever been :)

ISO200 67mm F/5.5 1/160

Im pretty happy with all my test shots so far I cant wait to get in the bush but hat wont be until Anzac weekend...unless of course I sneak out this weekend ;)

P4050025.jpg
DanShell
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby DanShell » Tue 05 Apr, 2016 12:21 pm

And just another random test shot inside the house. I know they are compressing pretty bad and the subject is nothing but the original shot has so much detail it is amazing. Every spec of dust and fragment can be seen in the original, this is a tiny section I cropped out of a much larger image.

I know real photographers are most likely having a giggle about my fascination of these bad test pics but Im a little excited ;)

P4050024.jpg
DanShell
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby richd » Tue 05 Apr, 2016 12:59 pm

[quote="DanShell"] I should point out I bought the pro 14-150 $800 lense not the $200 14-150R lense.
I'm pretty sure Dan that the 14-150mm isn't in the olympus pro range
richd
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby north-north-west » Tue 05 Apr, 2016 1:00 pm

Nothing wrong with an f4 lens if your shooting technique is stable enough, although your nest investment should be a tripod to help with the low light shots.
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Social Misfits Anonymous

Postby north-north-west » Tue 05 Apr, 2016 1:01 pm

richd wrote:
DanShell wrote: I should point out I bought the pro 14-150 $800 lense not the $200 14-150R lense.

Oh yes it is - according to Google, anyway. Over $1,200 at Amazon.
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Social Misfits Anonymous

Postby DanShell » Tue 05 Apr, 2016 1:06 pm

richd wrote:
DanShell wrote: I should point out I bought the pro 14-150 $800 lense not the $200 14-150R lense.

Oh ok your no doubt correct. I just recall him having an $800 and a $200 lense both 14-150 and he rambled on about beautiful japanese hand cut glass in the good one and not so good in the cheaper one :lol:

We have several Tripods that we have used with our SLR's and DSLR's over the years.

Im still not convinced on this lense. My wife just got home from work and she has been experimenting with it also and pointed out to me that we cant do any macro shots properly as it wont focus right up close not in auto or manual. Hmmm
DanShell
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby wayno » Tue 05 Apr, 2016 2:14 pm

I can fill the frame with an insect with my lens
from the land of the long white clouds...
wayno
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: New Zealand

Postby photohiker » Tue 05 Apr, 2016 2:38 pm

For around $800 and a bit of shopping around you should be able to get the M.ZUIKO DIGITAL ED 12-40mm f/2.8

https://www.imaging-resource.com/lenses ... ed/review/

Now that is a lens. 380g so heavier than the average kit lens. It's not specifically macro, but does a maximum magnification ratio of 0.3x and a minimum close-focusing distance of around 20cm which is usable unless you are right into Macro in which case there are several specific options available.

On the other hand, if it were me, I'd equip myself with several primes including the Panasonic 20mm f/1.7, a 45mm and maybe something longer.

I think you've been sold a pup...
Michael
photohiker
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Aushiker » Tue 05 Apr, 2016 2:43 pm

DanShell wrote:We were talked into buying the lense we got. The sales guy was telling us how good the glass was inside and how much better it was than the stock 'package' lense. I admit we also liked the idea of having such a large focal range for everyday use.
But since getting home and really starting to understand the camera and the lenses that are available I am wishing I bought a pro lense straight up. Again Im not sure an average hack like myself can do any of the lenses justice but I am after nice crisp sharp images and in a lot of cases in lower light situations.
Im sure the lense we got will be good but I think the pro would have been better.

It is actually a very good lens by all accounts; okay not fast enough for low light but keep in mind the pro lens is only f/2.8. If you really want fast for low light you should consider prime lenses.

You can get a taste of the 14-150mm lens in the showcase threat at MU43.com

Andrew
Andrew
Aushiker
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Region: Western Australia

Postby wayno » Tue 05 Apr, 2016 3:05 pm

I'm at work. The 12 40 might my lens. I have keep forgetting
wayno
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Aushiker » Tue 05 Apr, 2016 4:21 pm

north-north-west wrote:
richd wrote:

Oh yes it is - according to Google, anyway. Over $1,200 at Amazon.

The 14-150 is simply a standard M.ZUIKO DIGITAL lens, the lowest of the three categories in the micro Four Thirds Olympus lens range.

The Olympus M.ZUIKO PRO range consists of five lenses:

M.ZUIKO DIGITAL ED 300mm F4.0 IS PRO
M.ZUIKO DIGITAL ED 7-14mm F2.8 PRO
M.ZUIKO DIGITAL ED 12-400mm F2.8 PRO
M.ZUIKO DIGITAL ED 40-150mm F2.8 PRO
M.ZUIKO DIGITAL ED 8mm F1.8 Fisheye PRO

The middle range of Olympus micro Four Thirds lenses is the Premium range.
Andrew
Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Tue 05 Apr, 2016 4:26 pm

DanShell wrote:Im still not convinced on this lense. My wife just got home from work and she has been experimenting with it also and pointed out to me that we cant do any macro shots properly as it wont focus right up close not in auto or manual. Hmmm

It is not a macro lens; Olympus only offer one macro lens, the 60 mm in its premium range. Panasonic offer a 30mm macro lens and a 45mm macro lens.

All three are prime lenses.
Andrew
Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Tue 05 Apr, 2016 4:30 pm

photohiker wrote:For around $800 and a bit of shopping around you should be able to get the M.ZUIKO DIGITAL ED 12-40mm f/2.8

https://www.imaging-resource.com/lenses ... ed/review/

Gerry Gibbs has it on offer for $800 at the moment. For MU43 users, there is a good Australian focused bargin thread at the MU43.com forums. Handy for lightening your wallet :)
Andrew
Aushiker

Postby DanShell » Tue 05 Apr, 2016 7:16 pm

Thanks gents. I'm going to play around more on the weekend but I am leaning towards the 12-40 pro.
We don't want a true macro lense but the lense we have won't focus close enough to even come close to considering a shot macro.
I'm hoping a 12-40 will be better.
In regards to the pro lenses, premium range and basics Olympus have listed on their website, there must be more of a range. Perhaps the shop I bought mine had older stock but the gent definitely sat two 14-150's side by side and one was cheap and one was dearer.
I'll keep the thread informed of my results etc after some more playing around.
DanShell
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Aushiker » Tue 05 Apr, 2016 7:27 pm

DanShell wrote:In regards to the pro lenses, premium range and basics Olympus have listed on their website, there must be more of a range. Perhaps the shop I bought mine had older stock but the gent definitely sat two 14-150's side by side and one was cheap and one was dearer.

There is a mark 1 and mark 2 version of the lens. I am guessing shop had stock of the Mark 1 version at the cheaper price. This is the mark 1:

and this the mark 2 or 14-150 ii

Andrew
Aushiker

Postby DanShell » Tue 05 Apr, 2016 7:28 pm

Ok yep it's the mk 2 then :)
DanShell
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby undercling-mike » Wed 06 Apr, 2016 12:41 am

I use a tiny Panasonic GM1, so also in the micro 4/3 family. There are no silver bullet lenses, there are always tradeoffs. I use the tiny Panasonic 12-32mm zoom for wide angle and general use supplemented with the Panasonic 20mm f/1.7 and Olympus 45mm f/1.8. The prime lenses are great for low light and shallow DOF and very good quality.

If you're willing to change lenses a fast prime lens or two could be a great supplement to a standard zoom lens giving excellent low light performance and DOF control. I honestly use the primes more and only grab the zoom for wide angle.
undercling-mike
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: New South Wales

Postby DanShell » Wed 06 Apr, 2016 10:35 am

Thanks very much for all the advice.

Until a few days ago I didn't even know what a 'prime' lense was let alone really understand F stops! I have so much to learn but at this stage as I have said I am thinking the 12-40 pro is going to do 95% of what I want to do good enough for me.

When or if the day comes that there is a slight glimmer of photography talent shining through (that will come from my wife not me!) then I may look at getting a couple of prime lenses.

Up until I bought this camera we have always used a range of Canon DSLR's and our current one is a Sony. The basic 18-55 and 55-200 'kit' lenses have always done everything we have wanted so there has never been a need for any specific 'prime' lenses. But having said that, we have always had a genuine interest in photography and we now want to pursue it more so it may be time to stop wasting money on mediocre and start investing in some decent gear.
My wife is heavily into scrapbooking and she has always shown a real talent for photography in regards to composition. She can take some outstanding iPhone pics mainly because of her eye for a well composed shot where as Im more your take a 1000 pics of a fantastic subject and you may get 10 really good ones type of person. So if I can get her using some good equipment I can see some really nice photos going on the wall and in her scrapbooking albums.
DanShell
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby DanShell » Wed 06 Apr, 2016 10:41 am

This is just the 'working' area of my wife's scrap booking addiction ;) The storage area is something else......

DanShell
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby wayno » Wed 06 Apr, 2016 10:58 am

My pro lens puts out stunning shots. See lots of things in them I didn't notice taking the photos
wayno
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Previous

Return to Photography