Sony RX100

Cameras, tripods, techniques, etc.
Forum rules
Please note that the extended image rules for the Gallery forum also apply here.

Sony RX100

Postby TwoDuck » Fri 22 Apr, 2016 6:36 pm

Hi all
I am considering getting this camera based on forum discussions on here and elsewhere, and am aware that there are multiple models available. Given I am a complete novice photographer, are there any features on the MkIV or III that you think are essential, or super desirable, that the Mk II wouldn't have? I can get myself a MK II with one of the rewards points schemes or around $700, as opposed to the brand new one at over $1000.

What do you think? Any advice gratefully accepted!
TwoDuck
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: Queensland

Re: Sony RX100

Postby rolfex » Fri 22 Apr, 2016 6:52 pm

There's lots of easy-to-read comparisons on the web, so I won't repeat the detail you can find there. For me the biggest useful difference is that the RX100M3 has a pop-up viewfinder and the M2 only has the back screen. So often in bright conditions it is difficult to see the screen, and by popping up the viewfinder I get a superb, clear view of exactly what I'm about to photograph. The big advantage of the M4 is that it can shoot 4K video, but I don't care much for that, so I'm happy with my M3!
rolfex
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: Victoria

Sony RX100

Postby GPSGuided » Fri 22 Apr, 2016 10:10 pm

May I chime in to say that $700 is a tad on the high side for a Mk2. Have a look on eBay and other online sources. One difference of the earlier models is the focal lengths, 28-100mm. Whilst it has a greater reach in the telephoto end (100mm), it's not as wide with the 28mm than the latest models (24mm-70mm). 24mm has a wider field of view than the 28mm. Which focal length range is better depends on one's personal photo taking preference and the subject. 24mm is a pretty good wide angle for nature scenes.
Last edited by GPSGuided on Sat 23 Apr, 2016 8:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Just move it!
GPSGuided
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: New South Wales

Postby Hiking Noob » Sat 23 Apr, 2016 7:13 pm

JB Hi-Fi hve the mk3 for $899 at the moment, it does have a bit less on the zoom range which is a bummer, would still get nice shots in low light at fulll zoom.
Hiking Noob
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby TwoDuck » Sun 24 Apr, 2016 9:45 am

Thanks very much! I will shop around and it sounds like the M3 might be a better buy for a couple of reasons. I clearly need to read those photography books that have been sitting there since Christmas :D :? !!
TwoDuck
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: Queensland

Postby GPSGuided » Sun 24 Apr, 2016 2:30 pm

Also bear in mind that successive RX100 models were released in May-June time frame. If not delayed or altered, Mk V will likely be announced in the coming month or two. At which point, there'll be another price adjustment across the RX100 line. But as for all electronic goods, you'll have to enter at some point. A personal call.
Just move it!
GPSGuided
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Mark F » Sun 24 Apr, 2016 3:30 pm

Personally I always go for the lowest wide angle - ie 24 rather than 27/28 when looking for a fixed lens camera rather than the telephoto end of things. If you are mainly viewing on screen then a 20 or 30 difference at the telephoto end (70 vs 100) is not terribly important unless you are trying to minimise depth of field or maximising foreshortening as you have so many pixels in the image - far more than screens can display so just crop the image to zoom in.
"Perfection is attained not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing more to remove".
Mark F
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Australian Capital Territory

Postby Aushiker » Mon 25 Apr, 2016 12:17 am

Andrew
Aushiker
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Region: Western Australia

Return to Photography