Olympus OMD EM-1mk2

Cameras, tripods, techniques, etc.
Forum rules
Please note that the extended image rules for the Gallery forum also apply here.

Olympus OMD EM-1mk2

Postby richd » Wed 02 Nov, 2016 7:46 pm

richd
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: Tasmania

Re: Olympus OMD EM-1mk2

Postby wayno » Fri 04 Nov, 2016 2:42 pm

Steve Digicams about the E-M1II: “is hands down the best Olympus camera ever made and is well worth your consideration”

http://www.43rumors.com/steve-digicams- ... ideration/

Olympus E-M1 Mark II Shooting Experience
https://www.dpreview.com/news/773453982 ... experience

Steve Digicams reviewed the E-M1II and writes:

The Olympus OM-D E-M1 Mark II produces outstanding images in both the RAW and JPEG formats. The OM-D series has spent the last few years making an argument that their dynamic, contrasty, and crisp images can go head to head with larger image sensors. It’s never been truer than with this new flagship system.
Rugged, handsome, and faster than many DSLRs, Olympus has unleashed its latest flagship Micro Four Thirds camera system, the long awaited OM-D E-M1 Mark II. It combines good ergonomics, 4K video capabilities with excellent still image quality, access the wonderful M.Zuiko PRO lens series, and extended battery life. On the flipside, some might have concerns about the image sensor size, video bit rate, and overall value as the Mark II costs more than the original E-M1. Bottom line: if you’re looking for a fast, compact camera system, or already own an aging OM-D or PEN camera body, the OM-D E-M1 Mark II is Highly Recommended.
Mike Pasini writes:

Two things were clear from our afternoon with the M1 Mark II.
First, the advantages of the Micro Four Thirds format are compelling when matched to a pro-level body. We can’t tell what our dSLRs can do that the M1 Mark II can’t.
Second, Olympus has built out an ecosystem for the M1 Mark II that includes not just interesting optics but wireless and macro flash plus remote control. Again, we can’t compare that ecosystem to those of say Canon, Nikon and Pentax. But if you’re in the market, include Olympus in the discussion.
But what really stuck in our mind after our briefing was how responsive the company has been to its customers, including the four-year plan with free firmware updates. With Olympus you know where you stand.
from the land of the long white clouds...
wayno
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: New Zealand

Postby Aushiker » Fri 04 Nov, 2016 4:22 pm

There is some suggestion the price will be north of $2,000 ... :shock:
Andrew
Aushiker
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Region: Western Australia

Postby photohiker » Fri 04 Nov, 2016 4:31 pm

Lookin good even if it is a bit pricey. Wait till you add some pro lens selections!

Definitely a solid bit of kit and looks to be ringing a few bells.

Still surprised that the EM-1 is so relatively big for a u4/3rds camera. It's actually slightly larger and heavier than my Fuji X-T2 (APS-C):

http://camerasize.com/compare/#692,679

On the other hand, I found the EM-5 too small and the VF too tiny, so maybe the larger camera delivers better usability.
Michael
photohiker
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby wayno » Fri 04 Nov, 2016 4:32 pm

Aushiker wrote:There is some suggestion the price will be north of $2,000 ... :shock:

$US body only
wayno
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby richd » Fri 04 Nov, 2016 9:09 pm

At $2799 aus $3199 nz (body only), i don't think Santa will be putting one in my Xmas stocking this year
richd
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby wayno » Sat 05 Nov, 2016 3:17 am

should be some good deals on the Mk1 if you can find it, I picked up an EM5 Mk1 for half price including pro lens when the Mk2 came out, I think the shop wanted to get rid of the mk1 asap so people didnt have the choice when the Mk2 became available...
wayno
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby DanShell » Sun 06 Nov, 2016 6:04 am

Im looking for a 7-14mm Pro second hand if anyone comes across one at the right price?? :)
DanShell
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Aushiker » Sun 06 Nov, 2016 10:38 am

I have an Olympus OM-D E-M1 Mark 1 as my main body and doubt I will be upgrading. The suggested retail prices simply cannot see me justifying the upgrade. Maybe when the second-hand prices become more reasonable I will reconsider it or something happens to my camera.

I also have an Olympus OM-D E-M5 Mark 2 which is my second body/travel/bikepacking/bushwalking camera and to be honest that is becoming my go to camera. The weight and size just work for me. I have also now purchased an Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 14-42mm f3.5-5.6 EZ pancake lens to use with as a bikepacking/bushwalking camera. Gives me a nice usable small package.
Andrew
Aushiker

Region: Western Australia

Return to Photography