Went for a lovely walk up Mt Campbell today

Discussion specifically about the Overland Track should be posted in this subforum, including side trips and the Cradle Mountain day walk area. Alternative access routes and connecting routes belong in the parent forum.
Forum rules
Overland Track App
An electronic guidebook for planning and walking the Overland Track.
Download this app for loads of information about planning, gear, food, accommodation and much more about the Overland Track.
You will also find topo maps, terrain profiles and track notes for offline use.
$10 -- Discount to $3 until December 15

Went for a lovely walk up Mt Campbell today

Postby ryantmalone » Sat 25 Mar, 2023 9:47 pm

I'd originally planned to go up Mt Campbell for my birthday, however it seems that they were a little delayed in installing a new bridge that matches the color scheme of the new concrete sarcophogas they've installed at the old Lake Dove carpark.

There used to be such a nice view from here. *insert comment about inappropriate spending* Anyway...

Had an awesome time climbing Mt Campbell. Made quick time up to the saddle between Campbell and Hansons, and took a far more leisurely climb up the remainder of Mt Campbell as my plantar fasciitis started to play up again. Was surprised by the climb being broken up by a fun little notch that required a fun scramble up. Less impressed by the loose scree that came immediately afterwards, which I eventually broke out from and found the summit cairn with it's little group of king billy pines huddled nearby.

The views over to Cradle Mountain really are the best that this side of Lake Dove has to offer.

I'd also heard that there was another high point east of the summit cairn, and thought it would be worth checking out, as it looked like the views may improve the further east you head. The other high point wasn't marked by a cairn, but it was very easy to find if you follow one of the pads near the metal stakes that head over the left shoulder of the high point (speaking of which, does anyone know the story about these stakes?).

Turns out that the high point out east may very well be the true summit afterall. And the views were definitely improved, with Mt Ossa now visible, and alot more of the rear of Cradle Mountain.

The trip down was a mixture of very slowly descending the slippery shale/scree, some of which was done with a very graceful butt scoot or four. Was a great walk, very well worth it. Had a blast.
ryantmalone
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Region: Tasmania

Return to Overland Track and Cradle Mountain