OT in World Top 10 Walks List

Discussion specifically about the Overland Track should be posted in this subforum, including side trips and the Cradle Mountain day walk area. Alternative access routes and connecting routes belong in the parent forum.
Forum rules
Overland Track App
An electronic guidebook for planning and walking the Overland Track.
Download this app for loads of information about planning, gear, food, accommodation and much more about the Overland Track.
You will also find topo maps, terrain profiles and track notes for offline use.
$10 -- Discount to $3 until December 15

OT in World Top 10 Walks List

Postby MrCAMEL » Sun 16 Nov, 2008 9:15 pm

I do not know how I came across this.
A Canadian Newspaper/webnews site with the results of another website's survey, putting the Overland Track in the top 10 walks in the World.

http://www.canada.com/theprovince/news/ ... 74c4ea29e5
Vrilen Snyson Racing: Finding us all a Vrilen
Asparagus: Experience the versatility
MrCAMEL
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Other Country

Re: OT in World Top 10 Walks List

Postby frank_in_oz » Mon 17 Nov, 2008 7:02 am

MrCAMEL wrote:I do not know how I came across this.
A Canadian Newspaper/webnews site with the results of another website's survey, putting the Overland Track in the top 10 walks in the World.

I have a few "Google Alerts' set up where I receive an email each day of topics that I am interested in reading about. These include the OT, Cradle Mountain, Great Ocean Walk etc. They are a fantastic way to keep track of topics in which you have an interest.

Google Alerts are email updates of the latest relevant Google results (web, news, etc.) based on your choice of query or topic.

The list of top 10 walks that included the Overland Track appeared about 2-3 weeks ago. It was on a major tourism site somewhere (can't remember the original source) Since then, with the "power" of the Web I reckon the same list has been reused (copied) about 10-25 times on various websites, blogs and news sites. I am still getting an "alert" each 2-3 days of the same list!

Once these things go, they REALLY go and spread across the web like a .... virus. This can be called "going viral" - There is a definition on Wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Viral_marketing All web marketers want their site, article, blog entry etc to "go viral"

This top 10 list seems to be more like a mild sniffle that a full blown virus but it certainly is out there!
Frank
Check out "Our Hiking Blog" Overland Track guide, Food to Go-recipe ideas and Trekking to Everest Base Camp.
frank_in_oz
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Re: OT in World Top 10 Walks List

Postby Speculator » Mon 17 Nov, 2008 9:19 am

Hey that's really fantastic to see our OT rated amongst walks like those. The original article is here, but doesn't offer anything more than the Canadian newspaper article, which is a shame, because I really would've liked to hear the justification for picking the walks they did in the order they did.

L8r.
---
Peak bagging points: 10. Peak bagging bagging points: 10000.
Speculator
Optimus Imago
Optimus Imago

Region: Tasmania

Return to Overland Track and Cradle Mountain