Pelion to Windy Ridge Express

Discussion specifically about the Overland Track should be posted in this subforum, including side trips and the Cradle Mountain day walk area. Alternative access routes and connecting routes belong in the parent forum.
Forum rules
Overland Track App
An electronic guidebook for planning and walking the Overland Track.
Download this app for loads of information about planning, gear, food, accommodation and much more about the Overland Track.
You will also find topo maps, terrain profiles and track notes for offline use.
$10 -- Discount to $3 until December 15

Pelion to Windy Ridge Express

Postby Iluvtheoutdawz » Sat 29 Nov, 2008 12:45 pm

Noticed an interesting phenomena on our recent walk on the Overland - the number of groups who were leaving Pelion Hut and electing to push through to the new Bert Nichols (Windy Ridge) Hut in one day. We spoke to five diffent parties who had done this, all of them had been concerned about the walker numbers at Pelion Hut and worried they wouldn't secure a spot at Kia Ora. The disappointing thing was that with one exception they had all by passed Mount Ossa and the Southern Waterfalls in their drive to make it to Windy Ridge! I'm sure Parks & Wildlife had not planned for this, but it seems a bit tragic that so many people appear to be hot footing it through such a spectacular section of the Park purely to ensure a spot at the new hut. For anyone considering the Overland for the first time, if the weather is right an ascent of Mount Ossa and a visit to the waterfalls would be considered one of the trip highlights. Interested if anyone else has made similar observations - have to admit our 'sample' was pretty limited :) .
Iluvtheoutdawz
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Re: Pelion to Windy Ridge Express

Postby freshairfreak » Tue 09 Dec, 2008 2:14 pm

I agree, i just did walk and tried to get to top of Ossa but had to turn back at the base of the peak due to blizzard conditions, but i was glad to get as far a I did, it is beautiful up there, and the snow just made it more breathtaking.
We also visited the 3 waterfalls, i even jumped under the first water fall on the lower level to get a much wanted photo.
We then had a bit of a dip in the water above harnetts falls..... very cold but so worth it. It ws last Thursday we went to falls which was the only sunny day we had all week, so mother nature was kind. It is a shame that anyone would miss out on both these side trips. I did find everyone seemed to be racing to the huts because of the weather.
freshairfreak
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: Tasmania

Postby norts » Tue 09 Dec, 2008 5:49 pm

I like camping at Kiaora, it is a nice spot to camp. The platforms are nicely spread out amongst the trees and with the creek right by you it is one of the nicer spots.
Also the late afternoon sun on Cathedral can be spectacular.

I have always thought the Windy Ridge site uninviting, although the new platforms are nicecly spaced out.

Roger
norts
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Tasmania

Postby frank_in_oz » Wed 10 Dec, 2008 9:57 pm

Just arrived back after heading in via the Walls , across the Never Never and north to Cradle and out. Ran into several parties who were skipping Kia Ora and heading south pretty quickly.

There seems a mindset to beat the land speed record of "doing the track" without enjoying all it has to offer.

Many stories to come about the trip..........
Frank
Check out "Our Hiking Blog" Overland Track guide, Food to Go-recipe ideas and Trekking to Everest Base Camp.
frank_in_oz
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Iluvtheoutdawz » Sat 13 Dec, 2008 6:28 pm

Frank

I'm wondering whether the two 'Taj Mahals' at Pelion and Windy Ridge
are having an unfortunate effect in tunneling walkers past Kia Ora,
driving that 'gotta get there today' attitude, a real shame.

Looking forward to hearing about your latest walk, particularly interested
in your route finding through the Never Never. Did your assumptions re the
Convent Hill route result in dryer feet and less bush bashing?
Iluvtheoutdawz
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Return to Overland Track and Cradle Mountain