OT alone in April

Discussion specifically about the Overland Track should be posted in this subforum, including side trips and the Cradle Mountain day walk area. Alternative access routes and connecting routes belong in the parent forum.
Forum rules
Overland Track App
An electronic guidebook for planning and walking the Overland Track.
Download this app for loads of information about planning, gear, food, accommodation and much more about the Overland Track.
You will also find topo maps, terrain profiles and track notes for offline use.
$10 -- Discount to $3 until December 15

OT alone in April

Postby cococdu » Wed 03 Dec, 2008 4:50 pm

Hello,

at the moment I'm traveling on my own through Australia and in April next year I would like to go the OT. My problem is that I didn't find anyone who wants to do this track with me, yet. My question is whether nevertheless I can do this track alone or whether this is too dangerous and not advisable at all? I would love to do this track so much and I can also imagine that I meet other walkers on my way and maybe join them. Am I right with this vision?
Just a little background information: I'm 19yo and am experienced in walking (did several trips in the Alps), but not so much in overnight hikes (only one, but without carrying food, tents,...).

Another question: How is the weather like on the OT in the beginning of April (I want to start around the 7th April)?

My last questions: Are there any shops in Hobart or Launceston where I can rent equipment like a gas stove or a tent?

I hope someone can answer my questions...
Thank you very much,
Corinna
cococdu
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Re: OT alone in April

Postby Kainas » Wed 03 Dec, 2008 6:51 pm

We are thinking about doing the track in April, probably starting about the 12th. No real plans yet though.
Kainas
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: New South Wales

Postby eggs » Wed 03 Dec, 2008 8:32 pm

Greetings cocodu,

In April walking the Overland Track still requires registration and payment of a fee to walk from end to end.

Part of this process is to book the day you are leaving as it is restricted to 34 only leaving per day. (Plus some private walk clients)
If you check out this site and look at how many vacancies there are on any day you can work out how many intend to start the walk on that day.
For April see https://bookings.overlandtrack.com.au/otbse/controller/fit_booking_tripdetails.asp

Currently there are not many bookings, but 20 days already have starters (eg 20 booked to start on the 9th). This will change dramatically as we get closer to April, so you may neded to think of booking well before hand.
We went in April this year and there were people on every stage - but not too many. I think the max we had was about 20 at Windamere and down to 3 total in 2 of the huts as a minimum. ie My wife and I, plus one other. We also had one night in a tent away from the huts - though others often preferred to use tents at the hut sites to avoid snorers and get a bit more privacy.
A number of our fellow walkers were visiting from overseas.
There is some flexibility around the bookings and no rules on how far you progress each day. Check the notes on the parks site.

You also get extra folk coming into the middle and others coming up from Lake St Clair to Pine Valley. Those who only do part of the track do not have to book or pay.

Having been there in April during good weather I think it is one of the best times. The orange/red of the fagus was glorious.
See http://bushwalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=758

Others have walked through solo, but it is still wilderness so be prepared with the right gear and enough food and fuel. We almost ran out of fuel when someone decided to have a loan of our cooker on the first night. It did not register properly with me at the time, but many folk attempt the track without proper preparation and that becomes a burden on others and a danger to themselves. There are some discussions on this forum re suitable equipment and food.
Oh - and it will be cold...

I will leave it to the locals to talk about places to hire gear.

All the best
eggs
eggs
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: South Australia

Postby Iluvtheoutdawz » Sat 06 Dec, 2008 11:54 am

If you are properly prepared I do not think there are any issues walking the Overland solo. It sounds like
you have previous hiking expereince. I have done the track both ways on my own on a number of occassions, and in most instances the challenge is actually to avoid the constant procession of walkers. The track itself is well marked and the hut facilities are excellent, the only area you need to be particularly careful is undertaking side trips where you may venture off the main track to climb mountains or view waterfalls. You will find a number of walkers who will be keeping the same pace as you on the track and everyone tends to informally keep an eye on each other. I'd thoroughly recommend the walk in early April, it's a bit cooler but the fagus (the turning of the leaves) is well worth seeing. If you end up walking on your own be sure to take a tent just in the event the weather turns nasty and you get caught out between huts.
Iluvtheoutdawz
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby tasadam » Sun 07 Dec, 2008 7:18 am

The weather can indeed turn nasty - not just in April but at any time of year.
When I lived in Hobart I noticed for many years that Easter was the time the first snow came to Mt Wellington. But it varies a lot - weather is fickle.
In short, you might get some good weather, but you must be prepared for the worst that there is on a walk like that.
Have fun!
tasadam
Magnus administratio
Magnus administratio

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: TasmaniART, Smitten Merino, Macpac
Region: Tasmania

Postby Taurë-rana » Tue 09 Dec, 2008 5:46 pm

Hi Corinna,
Personally I would think twice about doing the OT by myself and I have had a lot of experience walking in Tassie. The main problem is that the weather at any time of the year can turn very nasty - blizzards and snow covered ground for a few days. You can easily be caught between huts so you have to have the gear to survive these conditions. People have died on the track after being caught in a blizzard, some friends of mine who were reasonably experienced got caught and were very cold and very scared. One of them will no longer go out in the mountains overnight. The weather can be hot and sunny in the morning, and in the afternoon can be snowing.
April is the time the weather tends to start turning cold here anyway. If you really want to do it solo (or at all), you will need to make sure that you are aware of what you need to carry to be safe. Hopefully some others will make comment here too who can give you some more advice.
DA
Peak bagging points: 170ish
Recent walks - Picton, Wylds Crag, Rogoona
Taurë-rana
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby freshairfreak » Tue 16 Dec, 2008 4:00 pm

Hi Corrina
I and 2 friends did the overland track the first week December, we had the worst the weather could throw at us, but we coped because we had someone to talk/moan to. I wouldn't suggest you do it on your own the first time, as if you have continual rain, wind, snow, sleet, hail, and did i mention rain, can get your spirits down especially when you are travelling uphill for a while. We still enjoyed the trek and are planning to do it again, maybe in May but most likely from lake St Clair to Cradle. We came across a fellow doing the walk on his own and he was pleased to join our group for some company and to be with others dealing with the same conditions as he was. We have made a good friend so all is good. The track is well marked and as long as you are not too clumsy on your feet you wouldn't encounter any problems as far as that goes. The side tracks like Mt Ossa,(although we didn't get all the way to the top because blizzard conditions turned us back) and the waterfalls are great, but something you would enjoy more if you were with someone to share the experience.
Hope this helps you and hopefully you will be able to find someone to walk with before April.
Wendy
freshairfreak
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby Iluvtheoutdawz » Sat 20 Dec, 2008 8:42 am

Corrina,

This is proving to be an interesting thread... I certainly don't mean to underplay the potential risks of walking the Overland solo. Have no doubt you are walking in a wilderness Alpine area where the weather can swing from dismal to down right dangerous. But I get back to my previous point if you are well prepared and use common sense on the track you can manage the additional risk of walking unaccompanied. The first time I ever walked the Overland on my own it rained solidly for 5 days...the track became a culvert for the rain and at times you were constantly trudging through knee deep water! I have also been caught out in a blizzard on the Cradle Mountain cirque, where it blew an absolute gale and dumped a couple of feet of snow in less than an hour, this was indeed scary but by taking cover in the worst of it and then following the snow poles, the shelter of Waterfall Valley Hut was not far away. Have a read of the recent thread http://bushwalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=1470 I think this does well to present the main challenges. At day's end my point is, don't put off your walk purely because of concerns about walking solo, there are a lot of people who will be walking the track, there are good facilities and in terms of oversight the rangers at Cradle Mountain will ensure you don't start the journey without the proper gear. Don't miss doing the Overland, it is a priceless experience and a very special part of Tasmania..
Iluvtheoutdawz
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby saijef » Sat 20 Dec, 2008 5:59 pm

Corrina,

I'm planning to do the OT over Easter, but don't mind starting a few days earlier (haven't yet booked flights or park yet). If you are interested in joining me and maybe a couple of others PM and we'll get chatting.

ange
saijef
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: New South Wales

Postby crazyone » Sun 21 Dec, 2008 4:11 pm

Corrina,
I'll add to the chorus, if u r prepared for extreme conditions then i would say absolutely do the OT by yourself(if u really have to). It sounds like u might have scored a few companions anyway. The beauty is worth the weather plus its the mountains, u r probably gonna get some bad weather in mountains!. i hope u do it coz I bet u will love it!

Dave
crazyone
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby Iluvtheoutdawz » Sun 04 Jan, 2009 7:03 pm

A link to a perspective from a solo female walking the Overland:
http://frankinoz.blogspot.com/2008/04/o ... -trip.html
Iluvtheoutdawz
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii