solo or guided

Discussion specifically about the Overland Track should be posted in this subforum, including side trips and the Cradle Mountain day walk area. Alternative access routes and connecting routes belong in the parent forum.
Forum rules
Overland Track App
An electronic guidebook for planning and walking the Overland Track.
Download this app for loads of information about planning, gear, food, accommodation and much more about the Overland Track.
You will also find topo maps, terrain profiles and track notes for offline use.
$10 -- Discount to $3 until December 15

solo or guided

Postby wrldtrvllr » Thu 04 Dec, 2008 12:32 pm

Hi all,

Wondering what is the best way to do the OT - solo (ie. independent) or with a guided group? I've done day and o/night treks before, and more recently a 9d trek to Machu Picchu (party of 5 plus support crew). Costs of doing the OT with a guided group seem somewhat high - are there any operators you recommend? Is it possible to do the walk in less than the 6d suggested? I'm reasonably fit (besides trek to Machu Picchu, have done summit to Mt Fuji, Tongarriro Crossing and various other day treks over mountainous terrain) and don't particularly want to be restricted by weaker walkers in a group.

Suggestions appreciated.
wrldtrvllr
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Re: solo or guided

Postby norts » Thu 04 Dec, 2008 5:47 pm

You can do it alot faster, but do you want too?
I usually take 7-8 days.
There are different levels of guided trips. Cradle huts have their own private huts - showers and wine every night or there are more basic tours.

Depends what gear you have, if you dont have all the gear and dont want to buy it then a guided trip is the way to go.
Chapmans book is very helpful if you want to do it solo

Roger
norts
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Tasmania

Re: solo or guided

Postby corvus » Thu 04 Dec, 2008 6:38 pm

Are you self sufficient,if so go it alone and even with the side trips(not Pine Valley) you can do it in 5 days Dove Lake to Narcissus.
If you are a sociable type you wont be Solo after WFV or at the latest Windermere as long term or temporary friendships are normal on this walk :)
If you are looking for a guided walk I believe an outfit called wilderness expeditions are very competitively priced and use good gear and guides.
collige virgo rosas
corvus
Vercundus gearus-freakius
Vercundus gearus-freakius

Region: Tasmania

Return to Overland Track and Cradle Mountain