Lake Wilks

Discussion specifically about the Overland Track should be posted in this subforum, including side trips and the Cradle Mountain day walk area. Alternative access routes and connecting routes belong in the parent forum.
Forum rules
Overland Track App
An electronic guidebook for planning and walking the Overland Track.
Download this app for loads of information about planning, gear, food, accommodation and much more about the Overland Track.
You will also find topo maps, terrain profiles and track notes for offline use.
$10 -- Discount to $3 until December 15

Lake Wilks

Postby the_camera_poser » Sat 10 Jan, 2009 9:27 pm

Not to be a ninny (ok- I'm a ninny), but I carried 15kg of camera gear up to Lake Wilks today, and I think I need a leg transplant. What amazed me were the number of people with shorts, joggers and nothing more than fleece jumpers, no packs, that passed on the way up the track.

Nice rock scramble, pretty little lake, just be careful if you're carrying a heavy pack, as there's a bit of scrambling involved. And take your time going down!

I'll post some pics when I process them, though it was not very photogenic today (mostly fate playing a hand, in response to my lugging all that *&%$#! gear, Who the heck needs a 100-400 lens on the side of a mountain, anyhow??? :roll: )
the_camera_poser

Re: Lake Wilks

Postby corvus » Sat 10 Jan, 2009 9:43 pm

t_c_P you did because you can woohoo ,I expect my pack for my forthcoming 4 day walk will start at around 20kg ,but I promise to weigh every thing :lol:
collige virgo rosas
corvus
Vercundus gearus-freakius

Region: Tasmania

Postby the_camera_poser » Sat 10 Jan, 2009 10:53 pm

no- no whoohooing. I was actually thinking how sad it is that I struggled up a short path with 15kg. BUT, it's camera bag, not a rucksack! And the biggest problem is the ruddy tripod hanging off the back- it wobbles a bit, and can throw your balance.

Where you going for 4 days?
the_camera_poser

Postby corvus » Sun 11 Jan, 2009 2:05 pm

G'day t_c_p,
Heading up to Junction lake then down the Never Never to Kia Ora then back down Hartnett's track to Wadleys Hut and out via Lees Paddocks should be a nice walk it it keeps dry.
c
collige virgo rosas
corvus

Postby tasadam » Sat 02 May, 2009 7:06 pm

Looking forward to seeing your less-than-photogenic weather photos of Lake Wilks with your heavy Canon gear :twisted:
Here's one from last month (not wanting to turn it into a competition because then we'd get too many pics and I would have to move this to the gallery) but to show you the weather I had on 21st March.
lake-wilks.jpg
Lake Wilks 21st march 2009
By the way, basic jpg (resized) from camera, no post processing.
tasadam
Magnus administratio
Magnus administratio

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: TasmaniART, Smitten Merino, Macpac

Return to Overland Track and Cradle Mountain