Cradle Summit Recommendations

Discussion specifically about the Overland Track should be posted in this subforum, including side trips and the Cradle Mountain day walk area. Alternative access routes and connecting routes belong in the parent forum.
Forum rules
Overland Track App
An electronic guidebook for planning and walking the Overland Track.
Download this app for loads of information about planning, gear, food, accommodation and much more about the Overland Track.
You will also find topo maps, terrain profiles and track notes for offline use.
$10 -- Discount to $3 until December 15

Cradle Summit Recommendations

Postby mattanitah » Mon 12 Jan, 2009 7:05 pm

Hi all,

I have read elsewhere in the forum describing the Cradle Mountain summit walk as a very busy one.
Well it would seem that not all like the early morning starts, I arrived at the Ronny creek car park at approx 7:30am on a Sunday morning and I was only the second car there. I thought this looked promising. I set off on the walk alone and only seen a couple of walkers going as far as Marions Lookout, did not see anyone else until I reached the summit and there was only one already there, we had the summit to ourself for 1/2 hour and a crew of four arrived. After approx an hour set off for the return trip and I was amazed at the traffic on the way up the mountain, did not slow my trip back down much as most were more than happy to stop for a rest and let me past.

I also was amazed at the age of some of the children climbing the mountain, I wondered if this had something to do with the amazingly clear and sunny day we had or if it is a normal thing for children I picked as young as 10 to be climbing this kind of walk, I imagine most would have needed assistance to boulder scrambble some of the larger rocks.

Moral of the story if you would like a peaceful walk and view, head off nice and early. For me this started about 5 am as I had to leave from Redpa.
mattanitah
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: Tasmania

Re: Cradle Summit Recommendations

Postby the_camera_poser » Mon 12 Jan, 2009 7:15 pm

I was there on Saturday- got there at 7:00 am for taking photos, and did 1/2 of the Dove Lake walk without seeing anyone. I walked the ci=rcuit backwards, in order ot get to Lake Wilks ASAP- if I had walked it clockwise, I would have had the whole trail to myself, I think!
the_camera_poser

Postby Taurë-rana » Mon 12 Jan, 2009 7:37 pm

the_camera_poser wrote: I walked the ci=rcuit backwards, in order ot get to Lake Wilks ASAP...
Well I must say that conjures up a funny picture :lol: And I thought most people walked slower backwards!
Peak bagging points: 170ish
Recent walks - Picton, Wylds Crag, Rogoona
Taurë-rana
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby the_camera_poser » Mon 12 Jan, 2009 8:33 pm

Naw- I'm a Yank. Drive on the RIGHT side of the road, walk the wrong way around Cradle Mountain. It has something to do with the toilet flushing backwards down here.

Actually, the whole place was flooded with my fellow (ex) countrymen.
the_camera_poser

Postby kanangra » Mon 02 Feb, 2009 8:46 am

I took my son up there when he was 8 no problems at all.
kanangra
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby tasadam » Sat 02 May, 2009 7:25 pm

Now all the people that want a peaceful walk to Cradle will read this post and end up doing it together :lol:

Glad you had a fantastic time on Cradle, my time there was also a good one with few people and a great day. T'is a busy one in the norm tho eh?
tasadam
Magnus administratio
Magnus administratio

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: TasmaniART, Smitten Merino, Macpac

Return to Overland Track and Cradle Mountain